Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

WHAT are they thinking...

Old 05-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default WHAT are they thinking...

What are they thinking....

====================
The Missouri House of Representatives has passed the Missouri Renewable Fuel Standard (MoRFS—HB 1270), a bill requiring all gasoline sold in Missouri beginning 1 January 2008 to contain at least 10% agriculturally-derived ethanol (E10), unless specifically exempted.

The bill permits the sale of blends lower than E10 or unblended gasoline should a distributor be unable to purchase fuel ethanol or fuel ethanol-blended gasoline at the same or lower price as unblended gasoline.

Missouri currently has three ethanol plants in production, two under construction and several others on the drawing board, according to the Missouri Corn Growers’s Association (MCGA).

MCGA expects ethanol production in the state to reach at least 350 million gallons by 2008, surpassing the 280-million gallon market that would be created by the MoRFS. In 2003, according to data from the Federal Highway Administration, Missouri used a total of 88 million gallons of ethanol in various gasoline blends.
=====================

Now.. go read your manual that came with your car.

Under NO circumstances are you to put Ethanol in your Mustang!

In fact… the vast majority of cars on the road right now can’t handle Ethanol!

If you search - only a very few select cars are "multifuel" and can handle Ethanol!

Missouri is going to REQUIRE Ethanol be in the gas!… that will RUIN 90% of the cars on the road in Missouri today!

Methanol is OK (made from fiber plants and other methods) and won’t hurt rubber or plastics… Ethanol is corrosive and will destroy any rubber parts and corrode some metals and some plastics – in a very short period of time too!.

I guess along with giving some corn farmers some good corn sales in the coming years, Missouri is out to pass some of our dollars to the Car Companies too, as we scramble to buy new cars that will run with ethanol!

I guess Arkansas will be happy to absorb all the cars we can't have anymore!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: WHAT are they thinking...

OH wait... ... ... maybe I am bad!

now I am confused.. which is the good one... Methanol or Ethanol?

Maybe the new law isn't such a bad thing after all...

I need more research!!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

Pure ethanol will cause damage to cars BUT the ethanol that is contained in gas will not damage your mustang or any car because it's diluted and filtered.

Do you really think they would obligate every pump station to put ethanol in the gas if it would damage cars ? I don't think so because that would mean that cars wouldn't last as long and therefor people would have to buy cars more frequently which would be a waste of ressources for the environnement.

And btw, the reason why the state is starting to require that every station puts ethanol in their gas is to prevent a spiking in gas prices. You see, at a certain cost (It's 1.30 $ canadian per liter exactly, you can convert that to gallons if you want), extracting ethanol is cheaper than extracting gas and therefor this will limit the prices of gas because we won't have to rely as much as before on gasoline.

Don't worry, they wouldn't put a substance with gasoline that would damage 90 % of the cars.. it's just ridiculous.

Nick
Old 05-13-2006, 03:25 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Part of the reason we are the fix we are in is due to state of California CARB board several years ago deciding that we HAD to have MTBE in the gas.......
Old 05-14-2006, 03:52 AM
acsteele
1st Gear Member

Ethanol is OK up to 10%. Methanol is bad mojo. I wonder when (if) Mustangs are going to come out set up for the E85 ?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I wonder how this will affect those of us with tunes? One of the things I enjoy about Mo is the availabilty of 93 octane.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

What are they thinking....

====================
The Missouri House of Representatives has passed the Missouri Renewable Fuel Standard (MoRFS—HB 1270), a bill requiring all gasoline sold in Missouri beginning 1 January 2008 to contain at least 10% agriculturally-derived ethanol (E10), unless specifically exempted.

The bill permits the sale of blends lower than E10 or unblended gasoline should a distributor be unable to purchase fuel ethanol or fuel ethanol-blended gasoline at the same or lower price as unblended gasoline.

Missouri currently has three ethanol plants in production, two under construction and several others on the drawing board, according to the Missouri Corn Growers’s Association (MCGA).

MCGA expects ethanol production in the state to reach at least 350 million gallons by 2008, surpassing the 280-million gallon market that would be created by the MoRFS. In 2003, according to data from the Federal Highway Administration, Missouri used a total of 88 million gallons of ethanol in various gasoline blends.
=====================

Now.. go read your manual that came with your car.

Under NO circumstances are you to put Ethanol in your Mustang!

In fact… the vast majority of cars on the road right now can’t handle Ethanol!

If you search - only a very few select cars are "multifuel" and can handle Ethanol!

Missouri is going to REQUIRE Ethanol be in the gas!… that will RUIN 90% of the cars on the road in Missouri today!

Methanol is OK (made from fiber plants and other methods) and won’t hurt rubber or plastics… Ethanol is corrosive and will destroy any rubber parts and corrode some metals and some plastics – in a very short period of time too!.

I guess along with giving some corn farmers some good corn sales in the coming years, Missouri is out to pass some of our dollars to the Car Companies too, as we scramble to buy new cars that will run with ethanol!

I guess Arkansas will be happy to absorb all the cars we can't have anymore!
It shouldn't damage anything on your car, because its only a 10 percent blend. The E-85 is what kills stuff on non flex fuel cars.

It remains to be seen if it will run as well though. I think I might have to get a retune with the blower as well (I hope not) because ethanol is not supposed to make as much power as regular gasoline.

I am not sure however if the 10 percent mix will even effect power output that much. I know the e 85 is supposed to get like 20-30 percent less milage because it is so much weaker.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

All the damn gas stations around here in houston have the 10% ethanol in them and i have been running it in my stang for awhile now i dont notice any power difference.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 AM
svt2000contour

A lot of the gas in PA has 10% ethanol. As long as you get the same octane, I haven't seen any difference in my SVT Contour. I haven't had the SVO long enough to see yet.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:58 AM
99BlackV6
1st Gear Member

During summer months all gas stations are required to have E10 gas. Its not required during winter months by the feds but it could be by the states. I don't like it. I get at least 2-3 miles less to the gallon on E10 and gas prices haven't changed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WHAT are they thinking...