Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Camaro/Challenger Concept No-More

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:42 AM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Camaro/Challenger Concept No-More

I just don't see GM putting a mid to upper 400hp powerplant in the new Camaro. That would be in the power performance of the Vette (which would **** me off). The C6 has only been out for two years and I can't possibly see a significant increase in a base Corvette powerplant until a C7 generation which I believe won't be introduced until 2012 (if they follow the same timeline as the C5 generation). Besides Ford in the case of the pony cars really hit the nail on the head with their design team with the retro look. GM in this case is well behind. The SSR is a failure, the GTO is about to be extinct in 2008, and they are hoping five years from now that retro styling will still be "Cool". God help them if their wrong because I don't think U.S. automakers have a lot of room for errors financially.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:22 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: C6 VETTE

I just don't see GM putting a mid to upper 400hp powerplant in the new Camaro. That would be in the power performance of the Vette (which would **** me off). The C6 has only been out for two years and I can't possibly see a significant increase in a base Corvette powerplant until a C7 generation which I believe won't be introduced until 2012 (if they follow the same timeline as the C5 generation). Besides Ford in the case of the pony cars really hit the nail on the head with their design team with the retro look. GM in this case is well behind. The SSR is a failure, the GTO is about to be extinct in 2008, and they are hoping five years from now that retro styling will still be "Cool". God help them if their wrong because I don't think U.S. automakers have a lot of room for errors financially.
+1 I agree with everything you just said 100%
Oh, and BTW.......here's the first improvement they could make on the Camaro concept IMO. Click on the thumbnail to see the difference. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of huge emblems on the fronts of classic muscle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/33731377E5084C23B6CF3A8564643E25.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-19-2006, 01:39 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

As much as I like my 'Stang, if GM makes a Trans-Am (with the bird on the hood), I will be the first in line to get one and promptly speeding out to Texarkana for beer.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Dirtysouthstang
2nd Gear Member

but you have to think will GM and Dodge put that much horse power in the callenger and the camarow? if they do then they will be in close hp to the Corvette and the Viper. people will think do i want a camarow for $35-40 and put on some bolt-ons or do i want to pay $75-80 for a Viper or $55 for a base corvette? i dont think they will have that much power in these pony cars. JMO
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 AM
bhb20001

I'm a newbie and new to the Ford arena...so bear with me please...

04Mach1dd...Spelling errors or not, you cannot make such a claim (Ford not having anything to compete with the new cars) without expecting a lot of criticism, both good and bad. And the way you are behaving is childish in my opinion.

But I think you guys are right, the powerplants for these cars are putting them in the Range of the Vette and Viper. And doesn't Ford have a car to complete with there?? The GT400??

There's more to it than price, and power. When I decided to buy a sports car, i immediately looked at the Camaro, the Trans Am, and the Mustang. Of the three, the mustang was in my price range, it didn't do to bad when racing the other two...(I have outrun Camaro's, and don't do to bad against the Trans Am...i don't normally win though...will fix soon) One of the things i like to do is take my car thru the windy twisty mountain roads of Northern California...all the Trans Am's and Camaro's i test drove felt sluggish just trying to switch lanes on the interstate, the Mustang didn't. The car handles better than I ever dreamed, and i have never regretted my decision. (i come from a chevy family) I have a friend with a Trans Am WS-6 that I helped him work on...i can not believe the difficulty to work on this car due to the lack of room in the engine compartment. I have had to replace a couple things on my car, all minor...costing under a hundred bucks...i had little problem figuring it out on my own...and had little difficulty in doing so.

After disscussing with my friends (all of whom own ricers, or the guy with Trans Am)...the opinion's are about the same, my car is the easist to work on, and there are more aftermarket parts in circulation out for the Mustang than the GM Cars. (Except my gen...i think i have the red-haired step child of the group) It seems to me that when Ford put these cars together, they have the customer in mind. They know that we will want to modify them, and because of this they have made it easy for us. And there is a bigger following in the aftermarket than with the other to GM cars. I think that when the "New Muscle cars come out" in the next few years...this will remain the same...and Ford won't have to do a damn thing...they already have an established product, the New cars will need to compete with them.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04Mach1DD

Today alot of metro det. area buildings were evacuated due to threats. I met up with some frieds from collage and started asking about the GT 500. Us all being in performance cars but split up 3 different ways at collage, i told them what the genral public knows. I then asked about what GM plans to do. All of you seem to think that, well since gm is poor they dont have any money to make the camaro. well just to let you know gm rules all. They WILL MAKE THE CAMARO, RSVP around $25-$30. Then asked my roomate about the challenger. It plans to be released in 2008, and when i say "plans" i mean it WILL. Thats really all that i was toold about them. they wont be what you guys saw online, or at the autoshow as far as interior because thats being changed alot, ext. not changing much. So now Ford has nothing to battle with against these machines.
"RSVP" [sm=roll.gif]LOL You mean "MSRP". And the 25k-30k thats a big diff. more like 28-30k for the base model. Up to almost 40grand
And 2008?[sm=nono.gif] The 2009's will be introduced as always around Oct./Nov. 2008 The specific details are still emerging. int/ext
Old 06-03-2006, 02:54 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I'm still confused as to how you can compare a 2006 3V 4.6 to the mopar Hemi? Yeah, they pump 400 ponies, but for God's sake, it's a hemi! It should have 400 hp.

For only have 281 ci of displacement, the 2V/3V/4V 4.6s are excellent, even without S/Cs. Maybe if Ford added another 75 cubes we could have a NA with 400 hp?

Worry about comparisons in 2008. Until then, its all guesswork.