Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Mustang lives on!! GTO dead..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang lives on!! GTO dead..

I feel the GTO is a great machine, it has things us Mustang owners would like to see in our vehicles. I especially liked the instrument cluster with the animated information screen. I saw on a video when this guy went past 90MPH it started flashing and telling him to slow down. I thought that was cool. Its the little things that people appreciate about the GTO, which made people buy it. It must hurt for current GTO owners because hardly anybody will make new aftermarket accessories for it. This is good news for Ford, since the Mustang is now the only affordable muscle car still around.. the corvette went another route to $50K street... and its been happy ever since.. so.. heres an article about the death of the goat...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/21/g...e-pontiac-gto/

Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang lives on!! GTO dead..

I believe the GTO was always intended to be a limited production car. And while there are some areas where they sat on dealer lots for a long time, I don't think they had too much trouble selling them as far as countrywide is concerned. I think GM only made one mistake in bringing the new gen GTO into production..........calling it the GTO. Seriously, this car would have garnered all kinds of praise if it had been given a new pure badge name. Too many car enthusiasts tried to rationalize the contemporary Aussie design of the exterior with the classic American heritage of the GTO badge and just couldn't make them fit together. Oh well, live and learn.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the GTO resurrected on GM's new RWD platform for 09 or '10 though. I could see it being the new Pontiac counterpart to the Camaro, like the Firebird used to be "back in the day". I'm sure if that happens we're gonna see a totally different machine than what the Holden based car was/is. Should be interesting.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i loved the interior & the engine, but
hated the exterior. R.I.P GTO

Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 PM
ehohensee
1st Gear Member

i would never get a gto. i think the new ones look like crap
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Pacman131
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i loved the interior & the engine, but
hated the exterior. R.I.P GTO

Agree, but what you expect, it's an australian GM car. Monaro... GM just should of named in Monaro plain and simple, should of never named it GTO. Got too many people's hopes up! Now GM is bringing the Commodore over here, wonder how this car is going to do. I don't like it very much, maybe the people who like Lancers and Evos will buy it
Old 01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

It's too bad they didn't offer a package that rolled off the showroom floor lookin like this.......

......aaannnndddd pushin a wee bigger cam

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/D0D8D7DC6A4B4D0790F8CF1F16D7C62F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28087/AB75E114B14D4A9B8A089E41A16B6309.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 AM
kastigar
1st Gear Member

my lil brother bought a gto. i got to drive it. his gto and my 07 gt are both stock manuals. his certainly had more get-up and go. but i'd never trade the mustang if only for the looks.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

About the GTO... I don't know whether to say "Rest in Peace" or "Stay Dead"!
Looked like a darn mid-90's Honda Civic.
It did autocross better than the S197 Mustang though... But I go for looks first!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/D1BFF002762D4467B1A43DE33BADB98E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 PM
EBBS_96_Cobra
2nd Gear Member

I love our GTO. Its the poor-mans Corvette. My mom's bf has a '64 GTO, and when you think about it, the GTO kinda stood true to its name. Back when they first came out, it was basically a regular car that had just a big *** motor in it. It didn't stand out too much, just like the newer ones. The 04 did the same thing, but I think GM was dumb for making the exhaust exit only on the drivers side. At least they used their heads on the 05/06.

And yeah, I don't think the GTO is a car that's meant to be a full time car. I should only be made every few years. I think if they do release it with the Comaro, instead of the Firebird, then that would be a dumb idea. They should do a year where they re-release the GTO and the Chevelle SS together for a limited run. That would basically shoot GM's sales through the roof, if done the right way.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:24 AM
MystichromeCobra969
1st Gear Member

... and with styling that is truly American. No cost cutting measures by using exterior styling that is somewhat outdated by current American standards. When the '04 GTO came out, I liked the interior. No doubt about that, but you look at the exterior. And honestly, I thought it looked like a late-90s Integra coupe. With its mostly rounded lines, it should've been released the same time as our SN-95 Mustangs (94-98). The interior was truly 2004 and beyond with all its cool features. Still, I did not waver from my initial dream car and chose wisely with my Cobra!!!

Ford also made the same mistake with their Retro T-bird (2002-2005). They expected to sell too many of a "limited production" car. Even four model years was stretching it, but they wanted the Bird to make it to its 50th anniversary year. Live and learn.

Quick Reply: Mustang lives on!! GTO dead..