Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

4th Gen, 4th Gear...Coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:59 AM
CHIC
1st Gear Member

Default 4th Gen, 4th Gear...Coincidence?

So check this out...

Was talking to a friend of mine who pretty much has his 99 GT maxed out....and he told me that in the most recent5.0 Mag he read this article about the transmissions for the 4th generation stangs. Basically, although 4th gear is a power and torque gear, Ford found that there was a deficiency with the transmission and a defective 4th gear. Aparently, 4th gear has a known weak spot somewhere on the gear itself.

Ford knew about this problem and was going to recall the vehicles to replace 4th gear, however they opted against it. It happens in higher mileage transmissions......translation.....post extended warrantee on the drivetrain. The article mentioned something to the effect that since it is higher mileage, it could be caused by other factors, other then this specificdefect, and they won't honor any issues with the replacement.

Either way, thought that was interesting seeng how my transmission just up and broke 4th gear with out me doing anything out of the ordinary. I will try to find the article and post it if any one is interested.