Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

**Traitors**, Will you test drive the Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
burningrubber

Default RE: **Traitors**, Will you test drive the Camaro?

I hope the new camaro can't beat the mustang in any areas, i just can't stand chevy with amny good cars. for chevy one good car is one too many
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Redneck97
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: burningrubber

I hope the new camaro can't beat the mustang in any areas, i just can't stand chevy with amny good cars. for chevy one good car is one too many
lol have you seen the projected numbers? Stock for stock Mustangs are owned (im not talking specialty ex. GT500 w/e.) Im talking the average Joe GT and the Average V8 Camaro.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 AM
99sleeper

my cousin is prob. gone to buy 1. he has a 95 z28 soooo ill be in it test drivn to see wat its got.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redneck97

lol have you seen the projected numbers? Stock for stock Mustangs are owned (im not talking specialty ex. GT500 w/e.) Im talking the average Joe GT and the Average V8 Camaro.
Yea, cuz..........specialty performance Mustangs don't count, right? 03/04 Cobras?........never happened, right? GT500?.......what's that???
If the top end Camaro comes out with 500hp and the new top end Mustang has 540hp.........well, that Mustang doesn't count. Is that right? Then if the baseline V8 Mustang (the GT) hits the market with, say 350hp, and the baseline V8 5th gen Camaro come out with 400hp........but costs 3-5k more than the GT.......well, then money doesn't matter, the Camaro is faster. But if you ask a GM diehard to weigh in on the new GT500, they say thatthe Shelbydoesn'tcount cuz it's more expensive and you can get a new lower model V8 Camaro for cheaper.

I'll put it another way: the money I have tied up in my GT right now is probably close to what a 400ish hp5th gen Camaro will go for when they hit the lots in a year or two. And with that investment my GT will manhandle said Camaro. So, my question is.........what will be your argument against my slow, cheap GT? Stock for stock comparisons between the upcoming Mustangs and upcoming Camaros will be close to impossible......cuz one will be cheaper and one will be faster stock for stock. IMO, that evens the playing field across the board. And if that turns out to be the case, then arguing stock for stock in terms ofbang for buckwill be a fools errand. But no doubt, many will do it anyways.

I can tolerate these sorts of hipocritical arguments from stang guys around here cuz so many are disallusioned. But a GM fanboy visiting outside the confines of the Street/strip section needs to keep their arguments more straight and narrow.

In short...........ALL factory production models count when you compare these two cars. Ford doesn't build the GT to compete with anything performance wise. It's built to fill V8 demanding sales volumes. They build specialty model Mustangs to compete with other cars in the performance arena. Don't exclude the Cobra or GT500 just cuz its an inconvenient exception to your world.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 PM
SoSmoked
I ♥ Acer

I think if chevy put the ls3 in it without detuning and it had 420-430 hp, they would definitely have a slam dunk with the camaro. Especially against the challenger. The challenger is supposed to be a semi low production car and I figure as the most expensive out of the 3 muscle cars. When the camaro comes out with the ls3 is beating dodges hemi and will probably be cheaper. The only thing I don't like about every gen of new cars is they keep getting heavier with new safety regulations its bulls#!t. I keep hearing the new camaro will weigh around 4000! I'm seriously thinking of jumping ships to the land of sports cars and maybe gettin a c6 vette or viper.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
MAYA56

I'll take one for a spin ...
Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Redneck97
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Yea, cuz..........specialty performance Mustangs don't count, right? 03/04 Cobras?........never happened, right? GT500?.......what's that???
If the top end Camaro comes out with 500hp and the new top end Mustang has 540hp.........well, that Mustang doesn't count. Is that right? Then if the baseline V8 Mustang (the GT) hits the market with, say 350hp, and the baseline V8 5th gen Camaro come out with 400hp........but costs 3-5k more than the GT.......well, then money doesn't matter, the Camaro is faster. But if you ask a GM diehard to weigh in on the new GT500, they say thatthe Shelbydoesn'tcount cuz it's more expensive and you can get a new lower model V8 Camaro for cheaper.
Well for sake of argument I was talking base vs base model....but if you wana throw in specialty cars well what about the ZL-1's?.......I was just compareing apples to apples....And yea there the MUSTANGS competion....and are priced so. So yea I would say that. 400+hp vs 300ish lol....
Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

i had a 93 z28. probably the worse car i've ever owned maintenance wise. every couple of months something was going on it, even when the mileage was still fairly low. traded it in for my 93 5.0. much more pleased with that, and my 03 mach 1. camaro's are overrated.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

And yea there the MUSTANGS competion....and are priced so. So yea I would say that. 400+hp vs 300ish lol....
I don't see any 400hp factory Camaro on the dealership lots right now. Do you? And even if there is a 400hp Camaro out in a year or two, and the Mustang GT is still at 300hp..........I can promise you the Camaro won't MSRP within 5K of the GT. If it does, I wouldn't buy it. Why? Cuz GM will have to have the crappiest, most low grade interior and trim options imaginable to be able to shave down the extra cost of that LS3 motor and IRS. Don't argue with me on the economics of contemporary car performance vs. dollar value. We're here to talk about the now and soon to come pony/musclecars........not what happened during the LT1/SN95 years.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 AM
SoSmoked
I ♥ Acer

I have a strong feeling that chevy will at least attempt a nice interior with the new camaro. Thats like the number one complaint for anything GM. I even heard they are making minor upgrades for the 08 vette. As I have had a 98 ws6 and currently a 00 SS, trust me I hate riding in my buddies 93 cutlass and looking at basically the same interior in my camaro. One thing I hate especially with foreign car drivers who always make fun of me for driving a domestic is the quality/reliabilty. Maybe I just got lucky but I drove my ws6 from 10 to 100k miles with absolutely no problem. I've had my SS for 30k with no problems. I think the 80s thru early 90s really hurt domestics but nowadays I think there just as reliable as any couch-on-wheels toyota or honda.

Quick Reply: **Traitors**, Will you test drive the Camaro?