Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Next Generation Mustang

Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default Next Generation Mustang

From the info that I have been reading, it seems Ford will put aDuratec 3.5 in the next generation V6 base model. I wonder what kind of hp it will get? Are there any other cars using this engine now?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Next Generation Mustang

I just looked at another website and it says the Duratec 3.5 would get 245 hp. Hmm....I'd have to wait and see what the body style looks like before I would consider buying another.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Ya, the Edge uses it and the Fusion I believe. The Focus does like 265 HP... I am sure with some tweaking we will get 280 crank or 240 at the wheels. Not bad for a sixer. This means the V8 will be a monster. Will have to be at least 365 HP crank or maybe even 400. I'm saving up for a V8 in 2010 (and keeping my 2005).
Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Thebeachboi
1st Gear Member

i read somewhere that they said they wont let the new Camero be less than the new mustang or Charger, Ill try and find the link
Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Only 3 Ford made vehicles(per the Ford website)nowuse the new DOHC 3.5 V-6. The Edge,the Taurus and the Lincoln. HP is 263 or 265(depending on car)at 6250 rpm and torque is 249 or 250 at 4500 rpm. This is a beautiful engine(engineering wise)but in a Mustang I think it will not be that much quicker at the stoplight then what we have now. Our SOHC 4.0s torque is 240 at a lower 3500 rpm and torque is what moves the car.There going to have to put lower rear end gears in the Mustang(3.55s or 3.73s)to take advantage of the higher winding DOHC 3.5 V-6. Plus I think these 3 cars all use a 6 speed front wheel drive automatic(or AWD)layout and I don't think Ford has a 6 speed rear wheel drive automatic yet.The smaller DOHC 3.5 will need that extra gear too.I wonder will the manuals get a 6 speed? Still a very nice and modern engine with more potential than our SOHC 4.0s. Also DOHC engines just look better. LX200----The Fusion uses the old SOHC 3.0 V-6 and the Focus doesn't have a V-6.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I have an Edge and the engine is nice. It has alot of pickup considering the Edge weighs over 4000 lbs. Definately has a nice power band around 3500-4500 rpm. It revs high, and is meant to do so.

I would be curious to see how it does in a stang, but it would need alot of changes because right now there is no comparison between my edge and my 4.0.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I do know the HP figure of the next gen V6 Mustang. I cannot say what it is, but what I will say is that if you like being more powerfull/faster than older GT's, you're going to be alot happier. Happier than most of you are thinking. Alot of GT owners are going to be angry. But, we're all going to have to wait a while for them to come.

I'm more interested in seeing the V6 Mustang, Camaro, and Challengers go at it then the V8 models.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

I do know the HP figure of the next gen V6 Mustang. I cannot say what it is, but what I will say is that if you like being more powerfull/faster than older GT's, you're going to be alot happier. Happier than most of you are thinking. Alot of GT owners are going to be angry. But, we're all going to have to wait a while for them to come.

I'm more interested in seeing the V6 Mustang, Camaro, and Challengers go at it then the V8 models.
the engine has gotta be configured for more torq. doesnt the current duratec have more import characteristics? i mean high hp@rpm's but with lower torq? i'm very curious [>:]. i too would very likely be looking into the GT when that time comes and hopefully hang onto my 4.0.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I rented an Edge when I was in Houston in April, and I gotta say, I loved it. The engine moved the very heavy Edge quite well. It did scream up to 5000+ PRM a fewtimes when I pushed it, but seemed to handle it well. It does seem like a great engine.

One question... when I popped the hood, there was this big plastic thing sticking up in the air... what was that?? If you've seen one, you'll know whatI am talking about.

P.S. The vista roof in the Edge is GREAT !!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Why can't you tell us? Then don't tell us what it IS... tell us what it's greater than.... i.e. higher than 375..... Or will Mullally come after you??

WHEN IS THE NEW Mustang coming out? 2010? Later?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Generation Mustang