Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford's trying to win our hearts..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
IntrnlCmbstn

Default Ford's trying to win our hearts..?

You guys seen this yet.. ?
http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42402

Nevermind.. I guess I can't post links here... Someone search "BMC calender" and post the link...
Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
noober
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford's trying to win our hearts..?

Welp, time to change my sig.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:05 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IntrnlCmbstn

You guys seen this yet.. ?
http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42402

Nevermind.. I guess I can't post links here... Someone search "BMC calender" and post the link...
If I take a picture of the damage that was under my car when I bought it from the Ford dealership, does that mean that they will fix it because they own that image?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/01/13...wners-are.html

here's a story saw on the subject that brings things to light.

Ford, making dumb decisions since 1925 LOL

let's take our most loyal die hard customers and tell them they cant take pictures of there cars and print them......LOL This would be hilarious, if not so sad and emblematic of Ford just not f*cking getting it!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

apparently Ford relented on the issue. details are on BMCforums(dot)com
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

ohskigod Date 1/15/2008 8:11:32 PM apparently Ford relented on the issue. details are on BMCforums(dot)com

Uuuhhh, no, Ford has not "relented" on anyhting. BMC was apparently pissed off at the situation of Cafepress not printing and selling their calendars and without really looking into the matter at hand, they started the thread and got thousands of peoples panties in a wad. I watched from the time it started til now, realizing how most people just didn't pay attention.

There were multiple people, on this forum and I'm sure others, speaking about the possibilities and telling people to wait before they started bitching about Ford. Most of the time they were yelled at, or just ignored.

Here is a copy of the letter, posted by BMC, from Ford:

My name is Whitney Drake and I work in Ford Communications.
We've been watching this discussion with interest and I'd like to
clarify what is essentially a misunderstanding.

Yesterday we spoke to both Cafe Press and the Black Mustang Club
and explained the situation (about the Black Mustang Club’s calendar) to everyone's satisfaction. Ford has no problem with Mustang or other car owners taking pictures of their vehicles for use in club materials like calendars. What we do have an issue with are individuals using Ford’s logo and other trademarks for products they intend to sell. Understandably, we have to take the protection of our brands and licensing very seriously.

Ford did not send the Black Mustang Club a “cease and desist” letter telling them that they could not use images of their own cars in their calendar. The decision not to allow the calendars to be printed was made by Cafe Press, because we had gotten in touch with them in the past about trademark infringements on products they sold.

The Black Mustang Club, and any other Ford enthusiast club, are free to take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials as long as they don't use Ford trademarks in products that will be sold.

I think it is great that the Black Mustang Club, and any other enthusiast club, would take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy to hang in the garage next
to my Mustang (even if mine isn't black).

Thanks for giving us the chance to have our say.

As you see, they didn't care about people using their cars pictures, in fact, they like it. It promotes their product, why wouldn't they? Ford was mad at Cafe press for using the copyrighted material and trademark imfingements, it's right there in the letter, posted by BMC.

Ford was protecting itself from bootleggers, and apparently has spoken with Cafepress before.

The main one to "relent", was Cafepress. Followed by BMC who "relented" and apologized to Ford.

Geez, all this becasue people just have no patience.

- C

Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 AM
IntrnlCmbstn

While I'm very happy the situation was resolved in a satisactory manner.. I don't think anyone "relented"... A dialog was opened with Ford, The calender was given the green light, and BMC dumped Cafepress....

I don't think lack of patience was the problem here... I started this thread, and several others like it on several forums, and many others did the same, to give the issue publicity.. I honestly don't think Ford would have given this issue any serious consideration at all had it not been a possible public relations nightmare... And I believe 8 million hits on BMC threatened to make it just that..

I agree that it was quite likely Cafepress that caused the majority of this... But I think it was the publicity that motivated Ford to realize that it was "their" customers that were affected by this, and help resolve it..
Old 01-16-2008, 05:23 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

So it is a legit copyright issue with Cafepress and not with the pics of any of our stangs......so please people quit posting this crap all over the site and getting your panties in a bunch over something that has nothing to do with us and the pics of our cars!!!!!!!!!!!! J
ORIGINAL: myredgt

ohskigod Date 1/15/2008 8:11:32 PM apparently Ford relented on the issue. details are on BMCforums(dot)com

Uuuhhh, no, Ford has not "relented" on anyhting. BMC was apparently pissed off at the situation of Cafepress not printing and selling their calendars and without really looking into the matter at hand, they started the thread and got thousands of peoples panties in a wad. I watched from the time it started til now, realizing how most people just didn't pay attention.

There were multiple people, on this forum and I'm sure others, speaking about the possibilities and telling people to wait before they started bitching about Ford. Most of the time they were yelled at, or just ignored.

Here is a copy of the letter, posted by BMC, from Ford:

My name is Whitney Drake and I work in Ford Communications.
We've been watching this discussion with interest and I'd like to
clarify what is essentially a misunderstanding.

Yesterday we spoke to both Cafe Press and the Black Mustang Club
and explained the situation (about the Black Mustang Club’s calendar) to everyone's satisfaction. Ford has no problem with Mustang or other car owners taking pictures of their vehicles for use in club materials like calendars. What we do have an issue with are individuals using Ford’s logo and other trademarks for products they intend to sell. Understandably, we have to take the protection of our brands and licensing very seriously.

Ford did not send the Black Mustang Club a “cease and desist” letter telling them that they could not use images of their own cars in their calendar. The decision not to allow the calendars to be printed was made by Cafe Press, because we had gotten in touch with them in the past about trademark infringements on products they sold.

The Black Mustang Club, and any other Ford enthusiast club, are free to take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials as long as they don't use Ford trademarks in products that will be sold.

I think it is great that the Black Mustang Club, and any other enthusiast club, would take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy to hang in the garage next
to my Mustang (even if mine isn't black).

Thanks for giving us the chance to have our say.

As you see, they didn't care about people using their cars pictures, in fact, they like it. It promotes their product, why wouldn't they? Ford was mad at Cafe press for using the copyrighted material and trademark imfingements, it's right there in the letter, posted by BMC.

Ford was protecting itself from bootleggers, and apparently has spoken with Cafepress before.

The main one to "relent", was Cafepress. Followed by BMC who "relented" and apologized to Ford.

Geez, all this becasue people just have no patience.

- C

Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

uh, you do realize that BMC's "openned dialogue" with Ford might not have gone the way it did if there was no outrage right?

I'm not a Mustangologist, but i do remember some "outrage" being the reason were currently driving the Stangs we drive, and not Ford Probes. I guess its all about how it looks.

Ford knew from jumstreet the calender with Cafepress was primarily for a club, Ford (or more appropriatly the lawyers) went in like the 800 lb gorilla and said no way, without looking at it in detail, and Ford caught some backlash for it.

stuff happens all the time, Ford will get over it.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

oshkigod

uh, you do realize that BMC's "openned dialogue" with Ford might not have gone the way it did if there was no outrage right?
No. [&:]

I'm not a Mustangologist, but i do remember some "outrage" being the reason were currently driving the Stangs we drive, and not Ford Probes. I guess its all about how it looks.
Incorrect. The only reason the probes got canned was sales. The Mustang has always been popular and sold well, they couldn't overlook that. Add the fact that probes had multiple malfunction problems, there ya go. Ford always has had Mustangs since they were created. Without Mustangs, no Ford. "Outrage" never messes with manufacturers, it's sales, which could be induced by "outrage" I suppose.

Ford knew from jumstreet the calender with Cafepress was primarily for a club, Ford (or more appropriatly the lawyers) went in like the 800 lb gorilla and said no way, without looking at it in detail, and Ford caught some backlash for it.
Incorrect, again. Can you not read? 2 + 2 = 4. Speaka Inglish? Ford has had previous copyright problems with Cafepress, which it had this time. BMC was the middle man who was pissed off because their calendar was being held back. They took all their frustrations out on Ford, being the reason BMC apologized to Ford. They even posted to everyone that send bad emails to Ford to email them back and apologize and say thank you.

Did you really not pay attention during this whole process, or maybe just forget to read the relevent parts of all the posts? [:-]

stuff happens all the time, Ford will get over it.
I don't think that's quite enough to excuse your previous posts.

Stop getting your panties in a wad, again, it's the internet. I'm sure there are Mustang forums and other places to go for kids. How old are you?

- C

Quick Reply: Ford's trying to win our hearts..?