Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

crappy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: crappy...

the subaru might be quicker... but which car looks better??
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Very dumb comparison. As dumb as comparing a Corvette to a Mustang. Two completely different classes of car. A turbo'd lightweight AWD hatchback vs. a heavy NA pony car. The Shelby GT is only a smidge better than a standard GT in performance, hardly a great improvement for the price upgrade that's warranted. My car has about as much invested in it as it would take one to drive a Shelby GT off the lot.....and it would emoliate one on the strip or the road track.

I'd still take the Shelby over the new STI (if only just to infuriate those of you who enjoy watching the Mustang proven to be "crap" by stupid comparos). The new STI's might be better, but they look like a glorified Ford Focus with a hood scoop.[:'(] I'll take an 03-06 STI any day of the week.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:40 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Wow...., but I'll still keep my Stang!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:25 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

ThisBlood- I agree, even I would rather have the Shelby GT over the STi.The older ones were sweet cars, but the new one is a disaster IMO....
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

I don't really like the new STi either, but the older ones, especially the 06 generation, are great looking, imo. However, I still don't agree with comparing the cars that are "the best the company offers". With that statement, you should be comparing the STi to the Ford GT. Regardless of the fact that it costs 5x as much as the STi! Come on. Comparisons like this need to be kept within price range, I believe that these comparisons are designed to help people who are thinking of buying a performance car decide which car to buy and if they are in the 30k range then the Mustang GT, STi, and EVO are in the same category. In that price category, the Mustang is fighting an uphill battle.

We all make fun of imports and their tiny engines but I can't help but think that, while Ford, GM, and MOPAR have lost sight of what it takes to make a cheap, high performance car; the Japanese have not only figured it out...they've been practicing it phenomenally. American Muscle cars were designed to be cheap HP thrills that were a blast to drive, to get you the most performance for your buck...this comparison (and countless others like it) show that the Mustang just doesn't do that anymore...at least not as much as the Japanese do. Don't get me wrong, 300HP for 28-32k is amazing, and the car looks great and is a legend around the world (Little boys and girls put posters of it on their bedroom walls for god's sake! Who does that with an STi?!) but in all-around performance, I'd give the award to the STi.

To summarize, want a legend destined to be a classic? Buy a Mustang. Want a car with the best all-around performance? Buy an STi/EVO--Their similar in so many ways, it's funny.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:03 PM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

Did anybody happen to catch the Barrett-Jackson auction when it was on SPEED channel earlier this month? If so you probably noticed that some of the biggest money makers were Mustangs. That's because the Mustang is a legend. And anytime something becomes a legend there are always going to bepeople who feel the need to try and knock it down.Do you honestly believe that in 20 or 30 years we will be seeing a Subaru on the auction block at Barrett-Jacksongoing for hundreds of thousands of dollars? I don't think so. I'm so happy for all the WRX owners that get to walk around knowing that their cars are oh so fast. You can keep 'em! I'll take my slow, heavy, ill handling Mustang anyday.