Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Rising CAFE Standards and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:44 AM
jdt141
1st Gear Member

Default Rising CAFE Standards and Mustang

So pardon my ignorance if I've missed a similar thread....

but what does everyone think about the rising CAFE standards and our beloved pony car? I don't see it as the "death" of the musclecar, but I figure that ford will be putting the 4cyl "ecoboost" (formerly twinforce) engine in the "base" model, the 6cyl in the GT, and reserve the "boss" engine for a special limited edition line. am i nuts? or just not following the press close enough...
Old 02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

Default RE: Rising CAFE Standards and Mustang

regulations like this already exist...its just that alot of companies dont follow them, which is why we pay "gas guzzler tax". i view CAFE as being nothing more than another way for the government to punish gearheads for not buying into their environmental myths.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Burtonsnow157
3rd Gear Member

^ +1
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

regulations like this already exist...its just that alot of companies dont follow them, which is why we pay "gas guzzler tax". i view CAFE as being nothing more than another way for the government to punish gearheads for not buying into their environmental myths.
...Or to challenge American engineering and keep it on top. Whats the point of being great if you let your talent rot. Furthermore, true gearheads play with the technology they are given and make the most out of the situation (in all aspects)...Think of a computer like a car, a gearhead would upgrade the circuits, etc. Not bitch because they don't like how it runs.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Nelson21
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kyle2k

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

...Or to challenge American engineering and keep it on top. Whats the point of being great if you let your talent rot. Furthermore, true gearheads play with the technology they are given and make the most out of the situation (in all aspects)...Think of a computer like a car, a gearhead would upgrade the circuits, etc. Not bitch because they don't like how it runs.
I'm with kyle on this one. Environnemental myths? Did I hear that right? Global climate change is a myth? I fear for the future when you have people like this. You may not feel the full impacts in your lifetime but your kids sure will.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

didnt some organization release a study this year that showed the the "hole in the ozone layer" had actually gotten smaller in the last year? its much much colder here this year than last year...so to me global warming is a myth. I understand the premise of the theories, but the truth is that the government and the media say things to scare people, so that people will do or buy certain things.

in this case, CAFE could just as easily be called "Horsepower Tax".

however, kyle makes an excellent point about the government forcing the american companies to put the technology to better use...i would like to think that our government has that much foresight, but im not sure that i could believe that...
Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
oasis22

THese CAFE standards are just another way the goverment continues to violate the free market system and our civil liberties. You can clearly see how the CAFE standards are going to hurt american car companies more then foreign ones. This is at no suprise as our politician have once againfailedus. Get ready for the economy to get worse in the next year. The dollar is going to crash just like they want it to sothen they can introduce the amerio (just like the Euro but for the americas).
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

global warming is a myth. its the natural cycle of the earth shut up im tired of hearing about it. take your cats off and let the ozone burn.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

oh yea... v8's for life!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
hondo928

Sorry I haven't really been paying attention to the CAFE issue but aren't they trying to get 35 MPG by 2025 or something? Anyway do you get the choice of paying an extra tax, because that's what they already have in Greece and probably other countries in Europe, but when I was overthere my cousin said an H2 can run about 150,000 Euros. Do to the tax and most cars are below 2.5 L. Anyway i read an article can't find it now that Ford is considering running twin turbos, on a 4 Cylinder I think. But that would probably make the basemodel an extra 7k starting wouldn't it?