Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos

ORIGINAL: 5.0LitreSN95

If it means a drop in weight, and in overall dimensions (the S197 looks enourmous parked next to other generations ofmustangs) I would actually prefer a twin turbo V6.
Yes, they do look bigger but keep in mind what the designer was trying to accomplish....make it look like the '60s Mustang but with a Retro look. I think they did a superb job! Not only that, but to me the '90s Mustang looked too much like a small compact car. Like Ford was trying to compete with Honda instead of keeping true to the muscle car image. Look at the Charger or the upcoming Challenger.....the '90s Mustang looks tooooo small against those beast!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Unlessit is a misprint in Motor Trend....that is what it stated. Also it says the '06 Lancer Evo MR SE has 286 hp @ 6500 rmp, 289 lb-ft of torque at 3500 rmp. Weight to power 11.5 hp/lb.
Yes its a misprint. Top-fuel dragsters don't even do the 1/4mile that fast [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Couple of threads down:
https://mustangforums.com/m_4698145/tm.htm
Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 PM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

Twin turbo v8 would be sick. i just want that sound! i dont want my mustang sounding like a 350z (even though they are bad ***)
Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

350Z's, well all the VQ cars for that matter, sound sexy as hell. I don't see the problem w/ a turbo V6 GT. The cash bringer is already a V6 anyways. And there'll still be a V8 model, it just might not be the GT. Evolution......
Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
sexylexy_86

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

Just came back from the eye doctors office where I freeloaded a copy of Motor Trend. The cover featured the new Challenger. Inside the Mag I found an article that stated Ford, in order to fall in line with the new fuel regulations (2012 start)is going to try to get V8's out of there models. They are about to unleash a V6 twin turbo that is "gas direct injection". The engine is to be called "Ecoboost", and supposedly produces more horsepower then the current stock 4.6 V8. The Twin turo 3.7 will be installed in trucks and cars. The article goes on to say that some in Ford want to put the new motor into the Mustang. They know the additional HP, along with a lighter motor weight will enhance performance and agility. However, they aren't sure "us" Mustang fans will take to kindly to a GT with only six sleeves.
The fuel regs start to phase in 2012, with full compliance by 2020. Furhter in the Mag there is an article that reads about how the Vette, Mustang, Challenger, and the mythical Camaro may be the at the end because of the fuel regs.

I know I personally would need a lot of persuading in order to swallow a "V8less" Mustang. I'mhopingthat's what atest drive in a 3.7 twin turbo gas direct injection. Persuading.

Then again it's only an article in a snobby car mag.
a twin turbo V6 is better than no mustang i spose
Old 03-18-2008, 05:46 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

^True that.....
Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: haromaster87

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

I just got that magazine in the mail today. Pretty interesting that they tested a Roush, Saleen and a Shelby against one another for "bragging rights."

As far as the twin turbo and "the end of the musclecar," carcompanies have been down that road before as expressed in Motor Trend. They said "Peak power may again decline, but weight will too and any drop in performance should be milder."

I love the sound of the V8, and I drive a V6 and I'm not ashamed one bit. I know there are "V8less" cars out there (4 cylinders!) that will blow the pants off a V8! Take the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR SE. It's a DOHC 4 valve/cyl car that can do a 1/4 mile in 3.5 seconds @102.1 mph! To me, if the car manufacturers can give us fast cars with better gas mileage, then I'm all for it!
I think you maybe meant 13.5 or somethin, right? lol
yeah, if 3.5 was the case then it'd already have been in some sort of world news for fastest car ever. then i would have sold my mustang for one...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

Like it or not the times they are a changin'. With gasoline prices going through the roof with no end in sight, and government regulations on MPG, it's pretty much a no brainer that the next gen. Mustang is going to have to become smaller, lighter, and more efficient. Now i'm not saying that it has to be as bad as it was in the 70's with the Mustang II, but a twin turbo V-6 doesn't really seem all that bad to me. The thing I am most curious about is if they can spend all this time and money coming up with a direct injection twin turbo V-6, then why can't they come up with a more efficient V-8? And no, I'm not talkin about D.O.D. either, because i doubt that would even be enough to make 35 MPG's.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Gas here: (for now)sub 4 bucks a gallon
Gas in Holland: 8 bucks a gallon for the cheap stuff, to about 9 bucks for the expensive stuff.

Conclusion: It's still cheap... deal with it...

And a mustang without a V8 rumble ain't a mustang. The sound of a V8 is unique, and should stay with the mustang forever. Screw those greenies...

Quick Reply: Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos