Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

GM Considering 2.0 L Turbo For Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

Default GM Considering 2.0 L Turbo For Camaro

(Originally posted March 19th on Autoblog by Jeremy Korzeniewski)

A four-banger in a Camaro! Blasphemy you say? Could be, but what four-pot are we talking about? In this case, the General's car czar Bob Lutz suggests that the new 2010 Camaro due next February could offer the same 2.0 liter direct-injected engine used in the Saturn Sky Redline, Pontiac Solstice GXP and the SS versions of the Chevy HHR and Cobalt. Before dismissing the turbo-four immediately, consider the top-of-the-line engine options the Camaro offered after the last oil-embargo-driven doomsday. In '72, the big block 402 engine offered just 240 horsepower; in '73, the Z28 was equipped with a 245-horse 350 and by '75 the hottest option underhood made only 155 horses. Ouch. The 2.0 being considered for the Camaro punches out 260 horsepower, and based on our time with the engine, you feel each of them as you run up towards the redline. The next step-up will likely be a version of GM's 3.6, as offered in the CTS and G8, also making around 260 horsepower.

Other Camaro tidbits mentioned by Lutz: it will be priced higher than the Mustang, as GM sees the Camaro as a higher-end offering. Specifically, Lutz suggests that the Camaro will feature a much better interior than the 'Stang, along with its inherently better independent rear-suspension arrangement.

Perhaps a bigger question to ponder is how bad will the performance industry be impacted by new fuel efficiency standards along with the ever-tightening emissions regulations. Just so long as carmakers such as GM continue to offer engine options like their 2.0 liter DI four-banger, the performance drop-off won't be nearly as drastic as it was back in the mid-70s. Thank God for that!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM sees the Camaro as a "higher-end offering" vs. the Mustang? Hmm...ok interesting.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Proud Marine Parent

Default RE: GM Considering 2.0 L Turbo For Camaro

GM Don't Have Roush, Shelby,Saleen And Others Doing The Work That Is Done In The Ford Performance Market!! Performance Wise GMIs Just Becoming A Short Block And Crate Motor Division For V-8's. GM's Goal Is To Be Out Of The Performance Market And Are Working On Being Green!! It Was Good That They Came Back Out With The Camaro But As Stated By 2010 They Probably Won't Be Offering V-8 Power For The Old Schooler's Who Drove Real Camaros With Tire Smoking Small Blocks And Torque Monster Big Blocks, Back In The Day!!! So It Looks Like If You Want V-8 Power From A GM In The Near Future You Will Have To Install Your OwnCrate Motor!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 AM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

I had a 2.2 L turbo Chrysler LeBaron. Cars like that were cool back in the 80's. I think most people would rather drive a WRX than a 4 cyl. Camaro.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

I have mixed feelings. I lament what could be another death of the 8 cyl engines, I would much rather have ballsy smaller engines than shells of v8's making ridiculously low power like in the last oil crunch
Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
SoSmoked
I ♥ Acer

The same people who buy 6cyl mustangs will probably be interested in a 4cyl Camaro. Only god knows why anybody would want a v6 mustang. But for some reason the sell I only SEE ABOUT A QUADRILLON OF THEM EVERYDAY!! Not everybody can afford a v8. I kind of like the idea of this turbo 4 thats semi good on gas. Thats the one thing that has always bothered me about newer pony cars was the v8 was a beast, and the only other option was very weak, horribly slow v6. I don't know if this 4cyl would replace their plan for a v6. As far as Camaro models it would be interesting if they had 260hp 4cyl turbo, 300hp direct injection v6, and 400hp Z28. Personally I would rather have a 4cyl turbo Camaro than a 210 hp v6 slowstang.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:21 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SoSmoked

Personally I would rather have a 4cyl turbo Camaro than a 210 hp v6 slowstang.
Yea, we'd all rather you had a 4 cyl turbo 'Maro.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 AM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SoSmoked

Only god knows why anybody would want a v6 mustang. Not everybody can afford a v8.

Umm I think you answered your own question...
Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

I really doubt that the Camaro will be a "higher-end" Mustang. They are almost always faster throught they years but they rarely seem nicer. I like the seats better in the newer Camaros but thats about it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bacon57

I really doubt that the Camaro will be a "higher-end" Mustang. They are almost always faster throught they years but they rarely seem nicer. I like the seats better in the newer Camaros but thats about it.
Well, I had been under the impression for a while now that the new Camaro would feature higher end interior/options similar to what the GTO's offered a couple years ago. I imagined that (along with the IRS and larger displacement motor) being the primary reason for it ending up being pricier model for model than the current Mustang. Of course, if Ford goes with an IRS and higher end interior in the upcoming Mustang redesign, the two cars might be neck n neck in the sticker department yet again.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: GM Considering 2.0 L Turbo For Camaro