Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Whats your Favorite, Manual or Auto tranny

Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

My new Stang is a manual. I've been driving automatics for as long as I've had my license. I used to have to fight off sleep in my '94 camry auto just because driving it is such a passive experience, always has been for me, even before I got the Stang. The level of engagement that a manual transmission provides for the driver makes you feel like you're ACTUALLY in control of the vehicle as others have said. I had to learn how to drive a manual a few days before (and a little bit after) I got my new Stang. At first, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to adjust and understand the finer points of upshifting, downshifting, feathering, rocking, etc, but it all comes with practice and experience. A week after I had my car, I took some buddies on a road trip to the shore with it. I did great driving, and we looked like gods in that vehicle. Literally EVERYONE who's commented or asked me about my car mentioned the transmission first. Personal preferences aside, a Mustang is meant to be driven (i.e. with a manual) rather than ridden in (i.e. an automatic).

If I can learn how to drive stick in two weeks (about 4 hours of driving), ANYONE can learn how to drive stick.

And no...your hand does NOT have to be on the shifter at all times.

Manual ftmfw.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:57 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
My new Stang is a manual. I've been driving automatics for as long as I've had my license. I used to have to fight off sleep in my '94 camry auto just because driving it is such a passive experience, always has been for me, even before I got the Stang. The level of engagement that a manual transmission provides for the driver makes you feel like you're ACTUALLY in control of the vehicle as others have said. I had to learn how to drive a manual a few days before (and a little bit after) I got my new Stang. At first, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to adjust and understand the finer points of upshifting, downshifting, feathering, rocking, etc, but it all comes with practice and experience. A week after I had my car, I took some buddies on a road trip to the shore with it. I did great driving, and we looked like gods in that vehicle. Literally EVERYONE who's commented or asked me about my car mentioned the transmission first. Personal preferences aside, a Mustang is meant to be driven (i.e. with a manual) rather than ridden in (i.e. an automatic).

If I can learn how to drive stick in two weeks (about 4 hours of driving), ANYONE can learn how to drive stick.

And no...your hand does NOT have to be on the shifter at all times.

Manual ftmfw.
Can you please explain what you mean when you say "everyone who's commented on my car mentioned the transmission first"? I've never had anyone complement me on my slick T-5...
Old 08-15-2008, 12:00 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

manual trannys command more respect than automatics.... I once had a dude at Taco Bell ask me why my V6 was manual when most GT's he sees are automatic...
Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
HNDA ETR
1st Gear Member

Manual is more fun to drive I think. Its easier to do burnouts and spin the tires between gears.
Automatics are good if you are at a track and want to run consistent times.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:35 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
Can you please explain what you mean when you say "everyone who's commented on my car mentioned the transmission first"? I've never had anyone complement me on my slick T-5...
All I meant by that was that the first question anyone asks me about my car is whether it's a manual or an automatic. I'm always proud to say manual, and it consistently garners nods of approval.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:06 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I own both and like my auto better.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Personally I wouldn't buy a mustang with an automatic. Then again I only drive my mustang's on nice days. Now if it was a daily driver I would possibly reconsider but since I have a different daily driver with an auto, that is more than enough for me.