Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

How did you get your first mustang ?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Daemos
1st Gear Member

Originally, my mom decided that she wanted to get me a used Mustang for around $8-10k, as I'm sixteen, and she didn't envision spending too much on my first car. After about a month of looking, she grew tired of the different issues we dug up with the majority of the vehicles that we had looked at buying.

As time passed, she became frustrated by many of the used cars we found, and didn't see the point in buying a used one when she could by a brand new one, that would have nearly everything I wanted for not that much higher of a price.

That's basically how I came to have mine.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Eight433
1st Gear Member

my brother lives in virginia beach (i live in Michigan) and he has an 87 5.0 with like 160,000 miles on its. I knew his buddy had an 89 LX 5.0. I heard he was gonna take it to the junk yard cause it was going to cost too much to fix (emissions and safety inspection, foggy headlights, full MAC exaust (no cats) etc, etc, etc. so i went down there (800 miles) and bought it for what the junk yard offered him (400 bucks) It only had 92000 miles and a clean title history (single owner even!) Transmission was somewhat freshly rebuilt, and rear end too. anyways, i put in on a 2 wheel car dolly, driveshaft removed, and towed it home and parked it for the winter. This spring, i tore into it for round one and drove it all summer. This winter is round 2 (interior) Next winter hopefully will be round 3 (HCI swap)

what it looked like when i got it, sittin in my brothers driveway.

Back home in MI, still ugly

only body damage to fix

primer!

interior

finished

Old 09-14-2008, 07:00 PM
stellatonotte
1st Gear Member

daemos - thats awesome that u got a brand spankin new one! my mom had told me that since she didnt get a new car until she was..well lets just say older.. i couldnt until i was older. so ur lucky imo

eight433 - wow u did an excellent job- looks great! and congrats on gettin it for 400 bucks
Old 09-14-2008, 07:14 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I've loved Mustangs since I was quite young, and I never got it in my head that I could actually afford one. My brother got his dream car, a 2007 Mazda6, in March of 2008. Seeing him so beaming every morning because he got to drive it made me a tad jealous. Originally, I thought the whole purchase would have no effect on me. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, for some reason, I thought that the Mustang GT's were a lot more expensive than they were. The only car I had bought before that was a '94 Camry from my parents for $1000. I was, for all intents and purposes, completely out of the loop as far as cars and car sales went.

Right around May, I got this unquenchable thirst for the Stang. I visited my ex in NY around then, and her cousin had bought a black '06 GT (demo model from the dealer for right around $25000) and promptly added his own personal touches. He let me sit in the driver's seat (I couldn't drive stick back then), and I knew that I was to own one of these beauties.

I worked my *** off all summer, impressing enough to eventually obtain a full time job offer for after college. All the while, I'm doing hours of research a night as well as torturing myself watching sweet Stang after sweet Stang disappear from the internet. Finally, I found this pristine black 2008 GT (new on the dealer lot with 40 miles on the odometer) with red leather (never considered it before, but I was highly intrigued). The dealer was only 20 miles away but an hour's drive via back roads. My dad, to humor me, decided we should stop up and at least take a look at the car. Everything about it had me hooked. The DVD-nav, the louvers, the rims, and, of course, the red leather...not to mention all the giddy-up it had. I never actually test drove my car. Instead, the dealer helped me learn the basics of driving a manual on ANOTHER new GT lol. I was floored that they did that, but I guess to make a sale...

I never actually had the full-time job offer in my hand, but I was more than confident it was coming. After some initial fumbling with the dealer, my parents and I (they had to co-sign the loan to qualify for Ford's credit bonus...$2000) filled out the paperwork and addressed outstanding issues with the car.

I bought BlakJak with no current job (my internship had ended), no future job, and, at age 21, a rising senior in college. After incentives and X-plan pricing through my employer, the price before taxes/tags was a little over $25,000. My parents floated me $10,400 for a down payment, and I am making the monthly payments along with insurance ($70 a month...non daily driver, and I'm away at school) with $5,500 I saved from the summer.

Last week, I received a call from the internship program coordinator at work saying I was to receive my offer...a very VERY handsome offer indeed. More than enough to say, pay off $20,000 in school loans and a $25,000 car in a couple of years, along with a hefty signing bonus.

I yearn dearly for my car while I'm at school. When I'm home, I need no excuses to drive it. I just installed sequentials the other day, and I'm waiting for a semester break to tackle the Loudmouths and clear turn signals. CAN'T FRIGGING WAIT.

Last edited by East87; 09-14-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
stellatonotte
1st Gear Member

wow that is excellent luck u have there and my sales guy taught me how to drive stick. on the car i bought though lol btw it looks great!!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:15 PM
reaper620

well lets see here. I have always loved mustangs since I could remember. I had always knew I was going to own a classic stang. so one day I mom had told me her saw that there was an old mustang for sale. I was very excited. so we went and looked at it and even took it over to our mechanics house to look at it. I loved the car the first time I saw it. I payed 3500 dollars for a 1970 mustang. I still think I payed way to much for it but I am glad I have it. I was 15 and I am now 22. will post pics later.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM
stellatonotte
1st Gear Member

what are the details of the car? (color, any extras...etc)
Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

I had wanted a mustang for my first car, but ended up getting a pontiac sunfire... I was happy with it for a while, but I ended up going back to wanting the mustang. I started looking for one every chance I got, but wasnt having much luck. Then one day my dad found one at a dealer across from his office. We went and checked it out, and ended up getting it a few days later. It was a 2000 red v6.
Had that one for 3 years, but in that time was really wanting a GT. Started looking for a 2006 GT about a year ago. Found a few, but never one that jumped out at me, or the price wasnt right. Then I decided I would just keep mine, and wait until I got out of college and just get one of the new 2010 redesigns when they come out. That didnt last though.... I was taking delivery for Hyvee this summer when I drove by a GT at a dealership and knew it was the one I wanted....
Needless to say after a few trips to the dealership to deal, I ended up buying it about a month ago and have been loving it ever since!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Mine was a graduation gift from my parents i had a 97 gt but i only had it for 2 weeks so i dont claim it the guy tried to screw me but he ended up buying the car back. So i went off to college driving my moms jeep and they picked the car out i didnt even see it until we had it a month it was nice they did a good job in my book.

Last edited by mustangman03; 09-14-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

My parents got me my first Mustang back in the spring of 1981. There are no photos of it and you will probably never see one in person as they have almost all been crushed by now.

My 2005 I got in March of 2005 after I was excited by the 0-60 time and the reasonable price for 300 hp. Had the dealer call me when he finally had some in and I went to the lot to see 5 brand new ones. The yellow looked best and was loaded the way I wanted.
Took me 3 years to get it looking the way it is now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How did you get your first mustang ?