Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

WHAT WILL FORD DO???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9million
So if they do nothing, they are good? I dont think so. Granted, the mustang has dominated mainly because for the last 6 years, there hasnt been any direct competitors. Dont get me wrong, I like my mustang & will not be getting a camaro or challenger but chevys low price camaro comeback & the challengers styling have me worried. These 2 cars willl definately take away from the mustang spotlight, even more so if Ford doesnt change the drivetrain. Just my .02
I cant believe we are finally agreeing. 9million us right on this point. The SS is new,hot, it will overshadow the mustang, at least in the first few years. IRS, LS3, 33K, its a hit to ford IMO. People by mustangs for the looks like what someone said and for their decent performance. IMO looks Mustang>Camaro>Challenger. Performance/ (amount to work with) Camaro>Challenger>Mustang.

Originally Posted by A_Drunken_Llama
WAT?

where did you learn this? cause you must have some sources we don't.....
Yea seriously! Where did you hear this? Please tell us!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Sickening part is that Ford has the motors needed for the Mustang's big return volley sitting in their development centers right now..........the Ecoboost motors............the Coyote...........the 6.2. Only thing that stands between these impressive motors and a Mustang engine bay...........is a bunch of Ford beancounters.

Let's hope there's some really good talkers somewhere in Ford's marketing or design departments that can sell the idea of putting these engines into the Mustang lineup..........the sooner the better.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

If the 2010 model still gets crappy gas mileage than they should at least give us a lot more Horsepower!!

(please dont flame me on why you dont buy a mustang for gas mileage. Because everyone wants better mpg.)
Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 AM
9million
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
If the 2010 model still gets crappy gas mileage than they should at least give us a lot more Horsepower!!

(please dont flame me on why you dont buy a mustang for gas mileage. Because everyone wants better mpg.)
I can agree & disagree on this. Fuel economy should not be reason to buy a sports car, therefore no whining! On the other side, if we can get more power without dropping & possibly improving mpg's, then why the hell not! I just hope Ford knows whats up & are not at ease about this huge clash thats about to go down! If we get 350hp, then that will due because of our weight. Can you imagine the camaro outselling the mustang & possibly taking over what Ford has dominated in the last 6 years? The time is now & the drivetrain release, I feel, we make or break the next gen mustang. Are they going to release the driveline specs at the show this year? I know the countdown is down to 30 some odd days & im getting ancy.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 AM
zggill04
2nd Gear Member

A few talk about numbers, but the reason I will never own a new one is because EVERYONE owns one. Good for Ford, but individualality is not there on the road. If I were to buy a new "pony" car, it wouldn't be a Mustang. My .02
Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Lets just say I heard it from a birdie who is close to the Ford R&D side. Of course nothing is set in stone but Ford is fully aware of the potential the Camaro has and they are not taking it lightly. There is a VERY good possibility you will see a 5.0 3v aluminum block motor around 350hp. For the cobra don't be shocked to see a 6.0 4v motor with a blower. Again, the camaro is going to be nice but for the first two years you won't find one at sticker price unless you know somebody. Either way I'm going to wait to see what Ford does for the 50th anniversary. I'm expecting something big, but expecting and delivering are two different things. I just love my mustang so much that I will give Ford the oppertunity to earn my money by at least waiting. If its a dud than the Camaro it is.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147

Let's hope there's some really good talkers somewhere in Ford's marketing or design departments that can sell the idea of putting these engines into the Mustang lineup..........the sooner the better.

Well Ill get you in on how much your really saving,

by selling you a product, that can take massive amounts of boost, but NOT FROM THE FACTORY:

More Body Styles to choose from and more added options

1. Lower price vehicle.

2.Incentives and bonuses.

3.Less Dealer Markup.

4.Lower Insurance Rates, even though you got a big blower on top of her.

5.Better Gas Mileage, dont look at what you see advertised from GM AND CHRYSLER, hell they are trying to merge together and break the union for financial reasons.

That Hemi and 350, will cost more for gas and insurance premiums despite what the EPA "Claims".

And with your 300 HP ponies as of 05, you can keep up with a Hemi, I wouldnt be crying too much lol, but im positive they will do something "decent" .

Besides, looking at the Camaro alot of us have mixed feelings, just as the 2010.

Last edited by aode08; 10-17-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by A_Drunken_Llama
visual prolly... performance? are you crazy?
I dunno I mean it's not everyday a car turns 50. They gotta do something other than I ground effects package or "special shiny wheels"
Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
mustangfan410
The 2014 Mustang Forums T-Shirt Design Winner

i think the 50th anniversary might be all new, i think.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
What about when there were direct competitors? The mustang was vastly outgunned by the Camaro from the early 90's until the day the Camaro died, yet the mustang outsold ALL F-bodies by a scale of 8 to 1.
First of all...The Mustang didn't outsell the F-Bodies 8 to 1. Where did you get that figure? You're telling me that Ford sold 300,000 more Mustangs than GM sold F-Bodies?

The Mustang outsold the F-Bodies. You are correct there. However, here is the actual reason why.

Ford built 142,000 Mustangs (Total, V6 & V8's) in 2002.
GM Built 42,000 F-Bodies. (Camaro's & Firebirds, including all engine options)

GM built twice as many V8 F-bodies as they did V6's.
Ford built four times as many V6 cars as it did V8's.

The F-Bodies have always been priced a few thousand more, but their target consumer was different. Ford sells the crap out of V6 Mustangs, as a inexpensive entry level sports car. This was not GM's target consumer.

So now take into the equation that your average Joe, (Or Jane) is looking for a sporty, inexpensive, economical (Heres where that V6 gets better mileage myth comes in) well optioned and stylish vehicle. Up until recently, that's how the Mustang was always marketed.

Think back to when the 4th gen F-Bodies made their introduction. Tire smoke, Jimmy Hendrix playing in the back ground. Red car, black background, loud exhaust...You get the idea. They went right for the "Bad Boy" image with it.

Can you see the difference in markets here? How many secretaries that bought new cars said "I want that cute yellow Mustang that I saw on the lot down the street." as opposed to "I want to rumble into work, with the baddest MF'er on the street?"

Really, are the two cars even in direct competition with each other?

Quick Reply: WHAT WILL FORD DO???