Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

100 miles per gallon Fox Body?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

That is an interesting claim. I have heard a lot of claims over the years like the peice that goes in your intake and gives great mileage etc. How could it be possible to make that big of a jump in mileage and horsepower at the same time. It would be real nice if it was true. I would like a 500 hp that would get 50 mpg. Just to out run the rest of you with your 400 hp motors and 100mpg. This note is about as full of it as anyone that would make those claims and not prove it.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

however, there was an 08 vette base, with an STS twin turbo kit that gets 40/32...and makes 775...

this is the kind of hybrid i like to write about..
http://www.greenhybrid.com/hybrid-ca...o-corvette.php
Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Soon as i create a 1 cylinder weed eater motor with so much power that it can run 60 mph at idle rpm... and then add lots of solar panelz!!!

i wouldnt have a hard time believing this if it were a hybrid which ran off 95% battery until u punch the throttle. but you might be limited on distance
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

LOL @ the E85 sticker on the front bumper
Old 11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHoZPLPoq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsW6mJtsq6E
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Stupid high compression running E85 and a crazy tuning map that shuts off 6 of the 8 cylinders and sprays methanol while it pulls 80% of the fuel off?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Kwint Sommer

It wouldn't be that hard to make a car that can get 100mpg and can produce 500 HP with comparable Torque.

Basically all you'd need is a powerful car with a lot of trunk space, a decently sized electric motor, a bunch of batteries and a device to switch between the engines. Just leave the engine idling while the car runs on the electric motor and if the driver punches it the car switches over to the gas engine. You'll never get 100 mpg using a powerful engine but there's no reason you can't have both in the same car.

It's not that hard to make an electric car, the hard part is getting good batteries. That would be because good batteries simply don't exist. Not just do they wear out too quickly and cost too much, you simply can't get a high enough power density.

Don't get me wrong, you can make an electric car. Hell, there have been commercially available ones going as far back as the 1920's but they had terrible range. Very few people want a car that can only go 50 miles before it needs to recharge for an hour. Even less want a car that will need $10k in new batteries every few years.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:33 PM
94Thunderbirdpunk
2nd Gear Member

Probably just a 400hp 351 under the hood and it has a "flintstone mobile" mode. Or maybe he got creative and hooked up a bicycle system so that instead of just having your passengers relaxing in the vehicle, they can pedal to make the car move when the engine is off. Thats what you call optimizing performance.

But on a serious note.. can you claim that a vehicle that runs half the time on battery power is getting 100mpg? Batteries don't use gasoline. So effectively a battery powered vehicle should be rated at 0mpg, since it's not using any gallons of fuel per mile.

So unless he has an engine that gets 100mpg.. I won't be impressed. My bet is on a geo metro motor that has been beefed up and blown.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

This is why, all those fools who said they were going to look for that car on the way to SEMA (you know who you are) are just way too trusting of the Internet and its ability to make lying A-holes out of so many Americans.
Didn't anyone see that whole Bigfoot garbage a couple of months ago? People are willing to not only look like lying b@stards worldwide, but are willing to face federal and state lawsuits for fraud. As I hope these losers will!
Oh, BTW, how much money can Big Oil companies be paying the auto companies to keep high mpg engines off the market??? It would have to be more than the car companies could make by selling a genuine high mpg engine. I don't think public companies are hiding BILLIONS of dollars of bribes, so that conspiracy is only for the paranoid, Joo!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kwint Sommer
It wouldn't be that hard to make a car that can get 100mpg and can produce 500 HP with comparable Torque.

Basically all you'd need is a powerful car with a lot of trunk space, a decently sized electric motor, a bunch of batteries and a device to switch between the engines. Just leave the engine idling while the car runs on the electric motor and if the driver punches it the car switches over to the gas engine. You'll never get 100 mpg using a powerful engine but there's no reason you can't have both in the same car.

It's not that hard to make an electric car, the hard part is getting good batteries. That would be because good batteries simply don't exist. Not just do they wear out too quickly and cost too much, you simply can't get a high enough power density.

Don't get me wrong, you can make an electric car. Hell, there have been commercially available ones going as far back as the 1920's but they had terrible range. Very few people want a car that can only go 50 miles before it needs to recharge for an hour. Even less want a car that will need $10k in new batteries every few years.
Actually there are vanadium batteries which don't lose there charging ability at all, technically they last forever. The only bad thing about vanadium batteries is that the require large tanks because it has a small energy density. There wouldn't be enough room in a car to make a vanadium battery equivalent to a lithium ion.

I saw this car on a news story he claims it runs on E-85 but last time I checked when E-85 is used your Power goes up and your MPG goes down.

Quick Reply: 100 miles per gallon Fox Body?