Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

100 miles per gallon Fox Body?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:42 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01_torch_red_vette
not to mention how much more dangerous storing hydrogen is. i thought the compressed air car looked pretty interesting. granted the car uses elecricity to fill the air tanks, and producing electricity isnt always the best for the environment. but there are lots of ways to produce electricity that are environment friendly

just like some tech geeks figured out a way to run a car for years on a nuclear battery, but cant figure out how to make it not usefull for crooks : ).
Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 PM
tjs0349

Everyone on here seems to think this is a hoax. I don't know if it is or not, but I can tell you that I'm originally from Toledo, OH (the area where this guys is) and the local news station there has done multiple stories on this.

They actually took the vehicle for a ride. The filled it up with E-85, took it on a 100 mile trip, and then filled it up again to see how much gas was used. They figured they averaged 50 mpg.

As for not revealing how this is being done, the guy is entered in the automotive X-prize sponsored by Progressive (http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/). Many of you may be more familiar with the Space version of the X-prize that Google sponsors. They are the same, just different sponsors for different areas. Anyhow, the Auto X-prize winner gets $7 Million. If it was me, I wouldn't want to go advertising to my competitors what I was doing either. The secrecy makes a whole lot of sense. He will have to reveal his methods in order to win the X-prize, and they will undergo scrutiny. If it's a hoax I doubt he would be entered in a prestigious contest

Here are some links to the stories from NBC 24 (first link talks about their test drive):

http://www.nbc24.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=191393
http://www.nbc24.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=214185
http://www.nbc24.com/news/story.aspx?id=153939
http://www.mustangevolution.com/200810291337/
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

There is just no way. I run e85 and know lots of others that do in dsm's and its way less dense than gas. Im talking 20-30% more fuel flow needed to get a safe AFR compared to gas.

I dont see how he would do so well on such an unefficient fuel. I get 160-200 miles at most on a 14 gallon tank. Compared to 250 or more when I was on gas. But the 105 octane rating and its burning characteristics its worth it. Ive ran as lean as 17:1 AFR and had zero detonation (when I first swapped over). Thats at 30psi and 27* max timing advance.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elwood
The only issue with hydrogen is that the process we use to obtain it creates both carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide anyway.
<nerd>
The process can be done through electrolysis:
C + H20 -> H2 + CO
CO + H20 -> CO2 + H2
Or the "STEAM-HYDROGEN REFORM PROCESS" (Duh duh duhhhhhh)
CH4 (methane) + H2O -> 3 H2 + CO
</nerd>
I'd rather produce my carbon dioxide with fossil fuels thank you haha
Although the H7 is fueled from a pre made hydrogen supplied by a hydro station, there are hydrogen vehicles being tested that do everything on board. The process being used for vehicles is electrolysis. Momentum of the vehicle creates electricity which is used for both the electrolysis and charges batteries. Basically, the vehicle creates it's own electricity and hydrogen. It creates it's own sustainable power.
As far as danger is concerned, it only makes enough hydrogen to operate the car, so there is very little storage. Also, if hydrogen cells are used, they are as safe as a battery.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

^Yeah I've heard of the "momentum of the vehicle creating power" concept somewhere before, can't put my finger on it though. I dunno I'm merely a first year engineer so I clearly I'm not an expert, but I assume the electrolysis for the "onboard" process doesn't involve Carbon? I mean the stuff I listed is what we do for the mass production/commercial demand for hydrogen. What is the other way? Link for info? This is quite interesting for me.