Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Middle of the Line Mustang option

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

Default Middle of the Line Mustang option

I was just reading a lot about the 2010 and how it only makes 315hp. People are unhappy about it but what Ford really should do is offer a model between the gt500 and gt. It seems like a lot of people might feel the gt is under powered but the 500 is way out of their price range. This could lead more buyers to cars like the R/T challenger. They should do like they did with the Mach 1 is 03-04. That was an awesome option. Cheaper than the Cobra but still have a really good punch to it. Ford should offer a car with a N/A 5.4. They have plenty of options for it (Bullitt, Mach1, Shelby GT, Boss 302 if it were a 5.0) I think that would be a huge hit. Something that doesn't cost a ton and still has a good bit more power than the gt. All the Bullitt and Shelby gt is now is a GT with some added cosmetics and 15 more hp. Why not make one like they did the Mach 1 in 03 04???

Just my thoughts... I don't know if the company is capable of it right now with the current economic situation but then again that already make a 5.4 and a mustang, just put the two together.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:23 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

This idea is at the very core of what so many have been rumbling about since the release of the 2010 last month. Really......it's been a big source of talk since the announcement of the 07 GT500. Too much of a gap in price and power between the GT and GT500. I think Ford feels that the Shelby GT and Bullitt fill that gap somehow, but they'd be wrong. You can slap all the superchargers, bodykits, and fancy CAI's on a GT that you want..........it's still a GT. There's a definite market for the working class performance enthusiast who wants more than the GT offers, but can't afford the big Shelby. A nice NA hipo V8 model pushing 400ish hp and pricing out in the low to mid 30's.......that's the ticket. Give us Stangers something that can give the counterpart Camaro model a bloody nose for a comparable price.

I, for one, am ready for it. 32V DOHC 5.0 power under hood. Yea baby...bring on the 2011 Mach 1:

Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 AM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

I think that would be the ticket right there. If I were to every buy a brand new Mustang that would be it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
stang5151
2nd Gear Member

Another vote, but we're probably wasting our time. 2011 is the earliest we'll see the 5.0. I know there are rumors of a 2010 SE with the 5.0, but with the auto companies in trouble, I doubt it'll happen.

We'd all just better hope that whatever deal the auto execs makes with the Gov, doesn't give Uncle Sam enough control over product line that they kill off the Muscle Car wars before we ever get our 5.0's back.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well, I'd probably be inclined to agree. But what's nagging me about that is that everything that has been leaked about the "Coyote" shows it to be a DOHC motor. Now, I for one have a hard time believing Ford is gonna drop a 4V motor into the GT.....if for no other reason than the sizable price increase it would carry with it. So, either Ford is about to make the GT model much quicker but much more expensive.......or there's another application being worked out for the "Coyote" motor. And let's just say I don't see them putting a brand new DOHC motor into production just to stick into the engine bay of a new truck.

But, then again, who can predict what will happen between now and 2011. Things could get better.......things could get alot worse.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Ford should offer a car with a N/A 5.4.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Take the 5.4, bump up the compression, and put a set of 4V heads on it in N/A form. Surely it'll make 400 hp with lots of room for improvement. The more displacement, the easier it is to add hp.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

You ppl keep forgetting that the current 5.4 is just as much a dinosaur as the 4.6 platform. I'd bet anything that the 4V 5.0 that's being developed right now could best it in overall performance potential......and probably get better fuel economy while doing it. Not to mention that it's (probably) a physically smaller engine than the current 5.4. If you've never seen one, the current 5.4 is a massive, heavy engine.......and mostly to blame for why the GT500 is so heavy.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:25 AM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

i know no one wants to hear this and im sorry if it upsets people... as it does myself when i think of it... but when i start to put the puzzle together to see where a mid level V8 mustang will fit i dont see a place.... ford is putting factory warranted dealer installed superchargers on the gt to give them 400+ hp... I think the mid level V8 stang has already been introduced... i cant see ford.. with their issues.. doing this then have a N/A car make the same power.. it just makes no sence.. trust me.. i want to dream as much as you do and want to.. but everything doesnt fit.. i see you can have a 315 hp gt.. a 400+ hp gt.. or the gt500.... i want a 400+hp N/A Ford mustang just as much as the next enthusiast but i don't see it happening anytime soon... it may be a smart move if it is their way of getting around the new CAFE laws.. because i think they only pertain to the factory.. not how you drive them off the lot.. also i believe not everyone has appreciated the supercharger option as much as it should be.. if you go and put one on you s197 and ht emotor goes.. your SOL.. with the 2010.. u just take it back and get it fixed

Last edited by guitar00dude; 12-07-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

I just want to see a stang hang with the big boys with out having to boost it. And Ford is COMPLETELY capable of it.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 AM
allenfre

Some guys are still debating on whether to get a 315Hp Mustang over a cheaper 422hp Camaro.

Quick Reply: Middle of the Line Mustang option