Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

GM down the tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: GM down the tube

GMs future is entirely dependant on the national interest rates.

They lose billions of dollars every year on their vehicle manufacturing.

The only profit they see is from GMAC......their credit division. They borrow money at a low, low rate and lend it to us at a higher rate. This is the only are in which they have made ANY money over the past few years.

With weak sales, they have had to offer low financing rates which actually costs them money. That's why you never see the good rates on the desireable vehicles.....only the mass produced sh1tboxes. You can BET that the finanacing on the vettes will be at a high rate.

Now that the interest rates are going up, they are unable to offer such incentives and are going to start losing more money, at a much faster rate.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:21 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

no what thier problem is they has too many divisions vi'in from the same market....pontiac or buick..needs to be cut or both like planned.... the union is killing the car markets..gm,ford had a chance to cash in when the yen was up and the import car were higher instead gm and ford rose their prices right along when they could had beat them on price..another then is the buyers of cars and trucks are blinded by imports and defects......gm,ford have close the gap...I have herd like the ford ranger and the mazda b2000 same truck but the madza got a high rating.... look at honda they had a loss in the us market for the first time....nissian was almost gone..now they took a hugh design chance and it has worked...now imports use cheap non-union american workers.....do we need to buy cars from place s paying time in a half over 8 hours worked?...when the rest of us get time in a half when we work over 40 hours..? american car makers haven't rolled with the times of out sourcing....it still can all be made in the good ole USA
Old 06-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

Exactly. I new a guy who wanted the ranger but went with the B2000, because it came with a better warranty. WTF is that all about? Same truck with different badging.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:21 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

I dont believe they will crash... but I do foresee some problems trying to sell a $80,000 Corvette. I mean... the last Zo6 was only $55,000. The new one may be the most powerful ever (like the last one) but what in the name hell are they thinking?
Where did you get those numbers? I have been aroudn vettes for longer than i have mustangs and $55,000 might get you a used one at a dealership, but dealers were deff. charging $60,000+ last time i went to one to look around. But if you found one for $55,000 you should have grabbed it and ran. Shoot in 2001 my dad bought a used 2001 Magnetic Red II Convertible 6 Spd (I love driving that car). And it had like 12,000 miles and the sticker on it was $52,000. We kept the window sticker. Needless to say my dad only paid $38,000 caus the guy that owned the lot is one of my dad's Insurance Clients and owed my pops a Favor.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

No dude.....my wife works for Nissan and they are owned by Renault - Nissan have all kinda problems of there own!

Toyota - thats a different thing, alot more successful right now - although they are not overly profitable as they are just trying to take market share and be the number 2 car maker (some analysts already say they are), that may come back to bite them!

I dont see anyone taking over GM - they are the biggest car company in the world, surely that should count for something!