Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.
View Poll Results: Will we see the Ecoboost mustang in 2011?
yes
80.77%
no
19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

2011 3.5L Ecoboost V6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:48 PM
KITT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TurtleSLow
have you sat in the new camaro yet? in my non brand loyalty opinion, sitting in that car was horrible. its cheap feeling, and you feel like your just in a big box, cant see over the steering wheel, raise the seat and you hit your head on the roof. it looks sexy on the outside, but the inside is terrible feeling. no wonder its cheap. i would never consider buying that car after sitting in it

also sat in the challenger that had a manual trans, with a hurst installed, and that was the worst feeling shifter ive ever felt. i dont know if they installed it wrong, hurst just sucks, or the cars trans just sucks. after that my opinion is challengers should stick to auto.

turbo v6 ftw, 5.0 ftw
I have not sat in a camaro. I plan to in chicago feb 18th.

I have driven a V6 challener and it was horrible. Unresponsive off the line and just way too heavy for the engine and tranny that it has.

The one bright spot? The 6.2 L HEMI Challenger at 440hp. I drove that and it was AWESOME. All you gotta do is find one and pretend you wanna trade in your mustang. They will let you drive it because of the economy and need of a sale. After you drive it you just say " i gotta think about it".

I plan to do the same thing to Camaro just so i can say ive driven it.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM
KITT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Thats where the five oh comes in. Ford could in no way put a more powerful v6 in than the v8. That would just ruin everything.

Im just hoping with this new ecoboost the stang doesn't get bought buy all the queers that love turbos and big tacs and wings...
I agree.........but we still need the engine. Otherwise later model stangs will be burned alive at the line. If we get this Engine........I venture to say that the V6 mustang would be the fastest quarter mile of all 3 cars.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:50 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KITT
Trust me the upper brass could care less about the Mustang you have ALREADY PURCHASED! They dont care if their new model v6 kills you off the line and makes you cry. All they care about is selling the damn thing.

3.5 L is gonna happen. No doubt.
um... who said I was gonna cry. I'm talking about new GTs, the 350 the new v6 would come with is already more then mine without mods. The new proposed turbo would be killing the new GTs with very little time money or effort put into them.

Last edited by JDWalton; 01-24-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM
KITT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
um... who said I was gonna cry. I'm talking about new GTs, the 350 the new v6 would come with is already more then mine without mods. The new proposed turbo would be killing the new GTs with very little time money or effort put into them.

Oh i totally understand what you mean. Thats why they would put the 5.0 400hp in the GT.

There is one thing that i wonder........Say they dont make the Boss 6.2L v8. Will we possibly see 3 engine choices staring with the 4.0 standard v6 at 210hp? and then go up to the 3.5L ecoboost 355hp..........and finally to the 5.0 V8.

Is this maybe what ford is thinking? Have the Base model mustang have the 4.0. And maybe the Pony Package could have the ecoboost. And GT 5.0 obviously. that actually sounda like a cool engine line up to me.

I for one really hope they put the 6.2L Boss v8 in there to.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:29 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KITT
Is this maybe what ford is thinking? Have the Base model mustang have the 4.0. And maybe the Pony Package could have the ecoboost. And GT 5.0 obviously. that actually sounda like a cool engine line up to me.
I think in the next couple of years we'll see Ford going with its current 3.5 or 3.7 motor for the base car (260-275hp). Then you'll have the ecoboost (340-355hp). And finally, apparently, the 5.0 GT (400hp). At least....that's what it looks like right now. This is assuming that the GT will be getting the Coyote motor at all........which I will believe when I see it.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:15 AM
KITT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I think in the next couple of years we'll see Ford going with its current 3.5 or 3.7 motor for the base car (260-275hp). Then you'll have the ecoboost (340-355hp). And finally, apparently, the 5.0 GT (400hp). At least....that's what it looks like right now. This is assuming that the GT will be getting the Coyote motor at all........which I will believe when I see it.

i really dont see why they wouldnt put the coyote in there. Its an obvious sales pitch!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I still don't think you see what I'm getting at. I'm saying the ecoboost v6 would be killing the 400hp 5.0 your talking about... there only 50 less horsepower, with a much smaller engine. Do you have any idea how easy it is to get 50hp out of a turbo v6. This is why I was saying you might not see a 350hp turbo 6. Anyone with half a brain would take that over a GT that costs more and is much harder to go faster or much much more expensive to add a FI system to.

There was a similar post to this not too long ago where my suggestion was a GT that was the turbo 6 paired with a 6 speed. That would actualy be innovative and put Ford ahead of other domestics in indeas for once, instead of the old philosophy of, lets just give them a bigger motor to get more power. Think of how wildy popular mid 90s RX7, Suparas and 3000GTs were. There still popular for those that can find them today cause how easy they make power, same would be true of a newer turbo mustang.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I still don't think you see what I'm getting at. I'm saying the ecoboost v6 would be killing the 400hp 5.0 your talking about... there only 50 less horsepower, with a much smaller engine. Do you have any idea how easy it is to get 50hp out of a turbo v6. This is why I was saying you might not see a 350hp turbo 6. Anyone with half a brain would take that over a GT that costs more and is much harder to go faster or much much more expensive to add a FI system to.

There was a similar post to this not too long ago where my suggestion was a GT that was the turbo 6 paired with a 6 speed. That would actualy be innovative and put Ford ahead of other domestics in indeas for once, instead of the old philosophy of, lets just give them a bigger motor to get more power. Think of how wildy popular mid 90s RX7, Suparas and 3000GTs were. There still popular for those that can find them today cause how easy they make power, same would be true of a newer turbo mustang.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Ford is gonna think that much into it. You forget that back in the mid 80's they made a turbo 4 that turned out nearly the same power as the 5.0 V8. It didn't hurt 5.0 sales one little bit. Honestly, I think having the Coyote 5.0 GT and the ecoboost model in the lineup together would work rather well. The old school muscleheads are gonna opt for th 5.0 GT, satisfied that it comes from the factory with a nice amount of power, and the tuner crowd will gladly opt for the ecoboost for the exact reasons you are pointing out........bigtime modability.

Whether or not the ecoboost drivetrain wears the GT badge won't matter to those who want one. And trust me, the modability of that turbo model won't stop ppl from wanting that Coyote powered model......considering that the marketing value of the 5.0 for Ford is simply enormous. They'd be foolhearty not to capitalize on it. Both of these models can coexist and capture lots of market share from Ford's competitors, and it'll be an even bigger boon when those 6 speed trannys come online in the next couple of years. IMHO.......Ford is on the right track with the Mustang (assuming all the stuff we're hearing right now turns out to be true).
Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

lets meet in the middle with a turbo 5.0 huh?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

lets meet in the middle with a turbo 5.0 huh?
NOW you're onto something. I hear the new 4V 5.0 might replace the current 5.4 as well. Wouldn't it be nice if the next gen Cobra was a turbo 5.0?

Quick Reply: 2011 3.5L Ecoboost V6 ?