Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

5.0L Coyote engine spied

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
scg87
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I think its awesome how Ford can get 400 horse out of a 5.0 and chevy needs a 6.0 or 6.2 which ever ones going in the SS to get just over 400. Same with the mopar its a 6.1 making a little over 400. Plus the stang is way lighter. Can't wait!!!

You fail to grasp the whole scheme there buddy. There's a lot more factors that go into it than that. Such as compression ratio, engine layout (OHV vs OHC), tuning, etc, etc. Believe me, if GM wanted to make a 5.0 V8 making 500hp, they'd have no trouble doing so. Same goes for Dodge. Do your homework in this field before making such claims......

Last edited by scg87; 01-23-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
scg87
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kopkar
Anyone else find it sad the 03 Cobra had 390 horse and the base GT might have 400 N/A?
Considering the '03-04 Cobras were underrated to the tune of 30-40hp, and actually dyno 375-390, no. And we won't even discuss their bolt-on potential....
Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by scg87
You fail to grasp the whole scheme, there buddy. There's a lot more factors that go into it than than. Such as compression ratio, engine layout (OHV vs OHC), tuning, etc, etc. Believe me, if GM wanted to make a 5.0 V8 making 500hp, they'd have no trouble doing so. Same goes for Dodge. Do your homework in this field before making such claims......
Who cares?
I'm sure Kia could make a 500hp 5.0L if they wanted to.

What matters is: on-the-market
Dodge has a 425hp 6.2L, Chevy has a 423hp 6.2L, and now Ford will have a 500hp 5.0L

Which is plenty fair if you ask me...How many years have Ford owners been cursed by the dreaded....v6 Mustang?
Honda 3.0L - 240hp
Nissan 3.5L - 300hp
Chevy 3.8L - 300hp
Ford 4.0L - 210hp

*sigh*
Old 01-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Oh crap I just wet myself at work....I want I want. 2011 might be a good time to have my mid-life crisis and buy myself a new toy.

Matthew
Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
Who cares?

Dodge has a 425hp 6.2L, Chevy has a 423hp 6.2L, and now Ford will have a 500hp 5.0L

Which is plenty fair if you ask me...How many years have Ford owners been cursed by the dreaded....v6 Mustang?
Honda 3.0L - 240hp
Nissan 3.5L - 300hp
Chevy 3.8L - 300hp
Ford 4.0L - 210hp

*sigh*
I care. To come on here and talk bad about Dodge and Chevy just because they haven't/don't done/do something they are entirely capable of is garbage. Look at the other aspect of this, if GM and Dodge are making such 'low' numbers from such large engines, think about how much tuning potential lies w/in them. And the Ford 5.0 will have 400hp, not 500hp. And the 425hp Hemi is a 6.1, not 6.2. And GM's LS6 makes up to 436hp depending on what car it's in. And lest we forget, Ford has been making underpowered, underperforming and just average engines for years now. There's no reason to get a big head over ONE good engine coming into the lineup.

Last edited by scg87; 01-23-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
Who cares?

Honda 3.0L - 240hp
Nissan 3.5L - 300hp
Chevy 3.8L - 300hp
Ford 4.0L - 210hp

*sigh*
None of those engines should be compared to the Ford 4.0L. The 4.0L is a damn truck engine, the reason why it was chosen for the Mustang was for it's torque characteristics and reliability. Ford's 3.7L V6 is making 275hp.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I care. To come on here and talk bad about Dodge and Chevy just because they haven't/don't done/do something they are entirely capable of is garbage. Look at the other aspect of this, if GM and Dodge are making such 'low' numbers from such large engines, think about how much tuning potential lies w/in them. And the Ford 5.0 will have 400hp, not 500hp. And the 425hp Hemi is a 6.1, not 6.2. And GM's LS6 makes up to 436hp depending on what car it's in. And lest we forget, Ford has been making underpowered, underperforming and just average engines for years now. There's no reason to get a big head over ONE good engine coming into the lineup.
Well, we're not exactly gonna get DEPRESSED by the news of a 350ish hp TT sixxer and a 400ish hp 5.0 either, are we?

It all goes by the current of the present day market that the new Mustangs are birthing into. If Ford can produce a 400hp 5.0 in the current body, it will likely have the best performing ponycar of the Detroit 3. And considering all the smack that gets passed down onto the Mustang by rival GM and Mopar heads, I don't see the harm in passing a little poke back at them. I have a hard time feeling sorry for ppl who look at my s/c'd GT and call it a "girl's car". But that's just my experience.

But...I wouldn't bash the new Camaro or Challenger, they're both great cars, saddled with awesome motors. It's just that Ford has been walking a different beat for the last 13 or so years with its OHC V8's.......and as such they've become the redheaded stepchildren of this country's musclehead hobby. Proving it can be done without pushrods is quite an accomplishment in my eyes (a V8 with plenty of rev but still lots of torque). So yea, the new 5.0 is a big deal for Ford and the Mustang faithful.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:22 PM
scg87
5th Gear Member

Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking this new 5.0 by any means. I'm not even a Ford fan, but I would still like to see them get their act together. The reason I'm not a Ford fan isn't because I have a grudge against them, but rather because up until now, they really haven't made anything that interests me. The Terminator ir a badass car no doubt, but too unrefined for my tastes. That's why I bought my GTO over one. The S197 GT has decent looks, an OK price, and good potential, but it's lacking in the ride/handling department imo. That's why I bought my 350Z over one. But w/ the new '10 GT, they've stepped up. It looks incredible, the price stayed the same, and they made some revisions to the chassis/suspension setup. And they're offering that new 'Track Pack' option w/ larger wheels, upgraded suspension, brakes and such. If I were in the market for a new performance car, a GT optioned as such would greatly interest me and be on my list of 'buy potentials'. And w/ the EcoBoost coming, that's another smart move in my book.

As far as the current crop of muscle (pony, really) cars goes, I'd be hard pressed to not buy the new Camaro. The Challenger is just too big and heavy. The new Mustang I like, but I've always been a GM fan, and the Camaro just looks killer. But I guess for now I'm stick w/ the Goat....
Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking this new 5.0 by any means. I'm not even a Ford fan, but I would still like to see them get their act together. The reason I'm not a Ford fan isn't because I have a grudge against them, but rather because up until now, they really haven't made anything that interests me. The Terminator ir a badass car no doubt, but too unrefined for my tastes. That's why I bought my GTO over one. The S197 GT has decent looks, an OK price, and good potential, but it's lacking in the ride/handling department imo. That's why I bought my 350Z over one. But w/ the new '10 GT, they've stepped up. It looks incredible, the price stayed the same, and they made some revisions to the chassis/suspension setup. And they're offering that new 'Track Pack' option w/ larger wheels, upgraded suspension, brakes and such. If I were in the market for a new performance car, a GT optioned as such would greatly interest me and be on my list of 'buy potentials'. And w/ the EcoBoost coming, that's another smart move in my book.

As far as the current crop of muscle (pony, really) cars goes, I'd be hard pressed to not buy the new Camaro. The Challenger is just too big and heavy. The new Mustang I like, but I've always been a GM fan, and the Camaro just looks killer. But I guess for now I'm stick w/ the Goat....
LOL get their act together...Your funny man
Ford is the healthiest of the Big 3, and doesn't owe the government billions of dollars like Dodge and GM(via the auto bailout.) Yes, they've been lacking in the moderate priced V8 area, but that's because they've been concentrating on surviving and being financial stable. While Dodge and GM are struggling to stay afloat(GM healthier than Dodge obviously) Ford is selling F150's and Mustangs like hot cakes.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by acascianelli
Sure there is, but Mustang people would refuse to buy a twin turbo V6 even though it would make more power, torque, and be lighter than a NA V8.
I agree and the MKS with ecoboost does just that! 3.5L V-6 with direct port inj and twins rated at a mere 355 HP and I am sure if you up the boost just a tad you will gain so much more HP and save weight like you said and have more MPG! (a green mustang?...sounds like a winner!)

If anything offer it as the V6 option!
Keep the 5.0L for the GT

Quick Reply: 5.0L Coyote engine spied