Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Mustang GT vs 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
firehorse02
2nd Gear Member

Without looking at Performance or Styling or anything like that, will Ford stick to what they've been doing for so many years now? Ford has always made a muscle car for the average person. You've never needed to be rich to be able to buy a Mustang GT. That's what the original Mustangs were all about. Getting a Muscle car for the every day American. As long as they stick to that game plan then it's Ford for me. My mom has a 2002 SS Camaro and everything that has ever needed to be changed is rediculous in price. Not only is the Camaro more expensive then the Mustang but the maintenance is through the roof. JMO.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
I get spanked by STi's and Evo X's so it's allllllllllllllllllll good
Yeah but they are FI, it's a completely different ballgame. Just the thought of not being able to hang with a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder irks me.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcdt94
Yeah but they are FI, it's a completely different ballgame. Just the thought of not being able to hang with a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder irks me.
Got news for ya, there's been a number of NA sixxer cars that could do that long before this Camaro hits the market.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I believe you guys are missing the point of this thread. They are comparing the V6 camaro with the mustang gt. Granted the mustang should be a few grand more than the camaro and get worse gas mileage, but it will have more standard equipment, be much quicker (almost a full second to 60) and look a lot better. And if you qualify for the ford discount like I do, they should be very comparable in price. But if you want to compare the gt to the ss, of course the mustang is going to be slower, but I think it will be closer than you may think with the ss weighing close to 500 pounds more. A cat-back and good tune should narrow the gap quite a bit by my calculations. Not to mention the ss costs several thousand more than the stang and should get worse mileage, esp. in the city.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Got news for ya, there's been a number of NA sixxer cars that could do that long before this Camaro hits the market.
Exactly. If my '83 was still rocking stock power I would be getting my *** handed to me by some N/A 4 bangers. That's what happens when your car gets old.

lcdt94, sounds like you are blaming Ford for other car companies making fast N/A 6 cylinders. It's not Fords responsibility for their product to remain competitive almost a decade after it came out. You only get that luxury if you drive an Ellis Juan.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
I believe you guys are missing the point of this thread. They are comparing the V6 camaro with the mustang gt. Granted the mustang should be a few grand more than the camaro and get worse gas mileage, but it will have more standard equipment, be much quicker (almost a full second to 60) and look a lot better. And if you qualify for the ford discount like I do, they should be very comparable in price. But if you want to compare the gt to the ss, of course the mustang is going to be slower, but I think it will be closer than you may think with the ss weighing close to 500 pounds more. A cat-back and good tune should narrow the gap quite a bit by my calculations. Not to mention the ss costs several thousand more than the stang and should get worse mileage, esp. in the city.
i agree, i mean look at a fox 5.0 and the recent mustang v6. They have comparible hp but due to tuning and weight differences, the 5.0 smokes it. Even with my 99 gt, i beat 06 and up hemis with at least 100 hp advantage over my stang. Though, the weight difference saves my gt. Obviously camaros will always have the performance edge which is what chevy prides itself in, but ford doesn't pride itself as being the fastest just the cheapest. Personally, I'd rather buy a used Z06 than buy a brand new camaro ss. I think the z06 is sexier and damn sure faster and an 06 z06 is about the price of a 2010 ss.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Ellis Juan...ha, that's classic
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

The 2010 Camaro can have as much power as it wants, the interior will still be crap. I had the chance to sit inside one at the Detroit Auto Show. The interior is freakin' hideous!!! It looks like it belongs in an alien spaceship. I can't see it being very functional at all.

The 2010 Mustang's interior, on the other hand, is beautiful. Very subdued. Old school styling cues, yet modern. Quality materials. And to think, I was watching a Cars.com comparsion video and they actually gave the win to the Camaro in the interior dept.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Originally Posted by lcdt94
We're going to be getting smoked by 6 cylinders left and right.
Eh, I believe torque and curb weight are going to play a role in this.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Bluestang07
1st Gear Member

Hey guys,

Mustangs have proven that over time, they are a viable product. Sure, the Mustang II years were pretty bad, but since 1979, Ford has improved the pony car to what we have today and they have reaped the benefits in terms of sales (OK, sales are down now, but so are everybody elses). The 2010 Camaro will be a re-birth of sorts, but you have to look at the market conditions to see if they will survive. Gas is cheap now, but I'm sure that this lull will be short lived. Add the uncertain economy to this and you have a recipe for... well confusion. Will the Feds continue to allow Chevy to build environmentally unfriendly V8's with their bailout money? Will the Camaro sell? Will they out-sell the Mustang? History is on our side.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT vs 2010 Chevrolet Camaro