Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Mustang GT vs 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 PM
ProfilerGT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49bbDTlaGPA
Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 PM
cstack80

Smile Camaro VS Mustang

Read the Feb. 2008 MM&FF issue. 2008 Bullitt Mustang vs 2008 Dodge Charger R/T. Not always about numbers.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

V6 Maro. vs V6 Stang = Not fair for Ford
V6 Maro vs. V8 Stang = Not fair for Chevy
V8 Maro vs. V8 Stang = Not fair for Ford
V8 Maro vs. GT500 Stang = Not fair for Chevy

_________Mustang Cat

* One thing you didn't consider is the price. The Chevy is thousands of dollars cheaper but that interior looks horrible . Hell, I don't even like the new Mustang speedometer or those square a/c vents. My 05 interior is what I like, now if I could just get that suspension upgrade.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
ProfilerGT

I can agree with your "VS" chart except for the v8 Maro vs V8 Stang. Everything I'm reading about the 2010 Stang only puts it .2-.3 seconds behind in the 0-60 test but the stang out performs in other area's. Even straight up stock if one pulls up at a light I think it will depend on who has the extra person in the car and which one has a full tank of gas vs 1/4 tank. Again for the everyday bulk of the people buying each of these cars the time difference wont matter. For those who do that come to these forums, they will mod their cars anyway making the above chart would be void.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Yeah but these guys have there mods too. LOL not at you but the situation. Thats why ford needs to make us a v-8 with 400 horses. Or even forget that it's not really the horsepower its the torque. I want at about 400 pounds of torque.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 PM
ProfilerGT

Ya I agree, I wasn’t trying to imply only Fords had mods. My point was people who are more concerned with .2-.5 seconds to 60 are the people who will most likely be mod’ing there cars (camaro / mustang/ or challenger) in which case those tenths of a seconds wont matter after they put in x,y, and z mod.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know jack about cars under the hood besides changing the oil. I purchased the 09 Mustang well aware that the Camaro SS coming out in another month would be faster for the 0-60 time and have IRS. With that being said I don’t have any plans on ever putting my car on a track and besides some half hearted pushes for fun on the road I have no plans on racing every sports car I pull up to.

I bought this car cause I liked the entire package. I love the exterior with the packages/ options it had on it. I also love the interior and disliked the camaro interior. Both of those are personal preference. As for power its more than enough for me. As far as I’m concerned I go with the old saying “there’s always somebody faster than you”.

As for mods the only thing I was thinking of was a CAI for a very modest boost. My only problem with that is being a new car I don’t yet wanna wash the warranty until I know the car is fully settled in.

also on a side note I thought It was already a done deal for the 2011 boost in engine specs? at least I thought I had read that for a ford line up?
I’m sure some day, and some time I’ll pull up to a light the exact same time an SS pulls up (which I think are nice cars as well), nobody is in front of us, and the road is wide open, and when /if he pulls ahead in my half hearted attempt at some fun I’ll think about that when and if it ever happens again 9 months down the road.

Last edited by ProfilerGT; 03-28-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 PM
tony351

I don't think many of you really know Ford. Ford has never tried to out do GM or anyone else for that matter in the horsepower dept (except in the late 70s when Bunkey Knudson was running the show). Ford, at least up until now, has not had to have more power to out sell the camaro, or GM and Dodge trucks for that matter. As for the 2010 Mustang, I think, if Ford is thinking like me, that the Camaro will probably sell for a premium the first year hindering its overall sales (that, and the economy), especially for the higher end models. There are plenty of Chevy die hards salivating over a new Camaro, whether it is a worthy car or not, and once they all have them and prices come down, the 2011 Mustang will be out. I can gaurantee that the 2011 will not have as much power as the Camaro but it will have over 350 hp possibly up to 375 but probably not more. That is how Ford has always done it and will continue to do so until the Camaro becomes a threat to the Mustang's overall sales.

The last Gen Camaro, ending in 2002, outperformed the Mustang in HP and handling, as it usually does, but was a sissy looking car (even Camaro fans will usually admit it) and was an unreliable POS. The Mustang was a better car in every other way and that's why it has always out sold the Camaro. The new Camaro is better looking, although I really don't like it much, and appears to again have the upper hand in performance. If people really like it, the value seems like it will be there, and isn't a POS like the last one, Ford may have to change its strategy. But for now, let the die hards over pay and by the time they are done, the Mustang will be within reach, performance wise in 2011, making it a more even fight.

Last edited by tony351; 03-29-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Speed-Demon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tony351
I don't think many of you really know Ford. Ford has never tried to out do GM or anyone else for that matter in the horsepower dept (except in the late 70s when Bunkey Knudson was running the show). Ford, at least up until now, has not had to have more power to out sell the camaro, or GM and Dodge trucks for that matter. As for the 2010 Mustang, I think, if Ford is thinking like me, that the Camaro will probably sell for a premium the first year hindering its overall sales (that, and the economy), especially for the higher end models. There are plenty of Chevy die hards salivating over a new Camaro, whether it is a worthy car or not, and once they all have them and prices come down, the 2011 Mustang will be out. I can gaurantee that the 2011 will not have as much power as the Camaro but it will have over 350 hp possibly up to 375 but probably not more. That is how Ford has always done it and will continue to do so until the Camaro becomes a threat to the Mustang's overall sales.

The last Gen Camaro, ending in 2002, outperformed the Mustang in HP and handling, as it usually does, but was a sissy looking car (even Camaro fans will usually admit it) and was an unreliable POS. The new Camaro is better looking, although I really don't like it much, and appears to again have the upper hand in performance. If people really like it, the value seems like it will be there, and isn't a POS like the last one, Ford may have to change its strategy. But for now, let the die hards over pay and by the time they are done, the Mustang will be within reach, performance wise in 2011, making it a more even fight.
well said
Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel60
My 05 interior is what I like, now if I could just get that suspension upgrade.
Some FRPP springs, stiffer rear swaybar, some better brake pads, and some good grippy tires..........that's all you need to be even with and, more than likely, surpass the handling prowess of the 2010 Track Packed GT. Trust me on this. You want to make it even uglier?....some aftermarket control arms, shocks, and k-member crossbrace will do you even better.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
one.wicked.stang
2nd Gear Member

Dont really care who beats who, I am Mustang through and through. ****...that rhythms.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT vs 2010 Chevrolet Camaro