Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2011 national MPG Requirements?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Speed-Demon
1st Gear Member

Default 2011 national MPG Requirements?

i wasnt sure where to put this, but i figured it was considered a rumor and is up for discussion but here it is.

i am hearing that by 2011 obama wants to outlaw all vehicles that do not achieve 35mpg? and some cars are eligible to recieve modifications to achieve this via factory warranty and parts upgrade. is it just me or does this sound incredibly rediculous? i drive a......well i drive a 92 honda civic(dont make fun of me), im still in school so i need good gas mileage. but i only average between 32-34 mpg on an average basis. highway i get around 35-39(depending on cruise speed). is there anyone out there that also thinks this new fuel economy restriction is a load of bs? or is it just me?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Load of BS IMO......he can mandate new cars to have that by a certain date but I doubt he would or could do so for every car out there. If he wants he can buy me a new Ford Fusion Hybrid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I will take the interest off as taxes for the next tax season!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:52 AM
inyadreems
2nd Gear Member

Default Obama Pushes Review of State Emissions

Obama Pushes Review of State Emissions

President Barack ObamaPresident Barack Obama is wasting no time to overturn, review, and otherwise stir up business from the George W. Bush administration that he disagrees with. Last week, it was closing the controversial Guantanamo Bay prison facility. This week, it is fuel economy. And Obama is pursuing it from the tailpipe.

The White House is directing the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to review a an application by California and 13 other states to set tighter restrictions on automotive emissions. To do so would mean stricter limits than currently required on the federal level, and it would effectively increase the fuel economy standards.

The administration feels increasing fuel economy standards further is “doable.”

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said, “The actions that the President took today put us on the path when we realize a fuel efficiency standard of 35 miles to the gallon -- it's 27.5 now -- 35 miles to the gallon will constitute a savings of 2 million barrels of oil a day, which is roughly comparable to the amount of oil that we import each day from the Persian Gulf.”

In addition, President Obama signed a memoranda at a White House ceremony today directing the Transportation Department to establish higher fuel economy standards for vehicles by model year 2011

These moves support Obama’s drive to increase our national energy independence. While the need is certainly there, lawmakers should take care to work closely with the troubled auto industry to ensure any revised targets can be achieved, or they risk legislating further economic hardships for automakers.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:05 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

The above is fine and dandy to me but it is for 2011 model yr vehicles...should have been done a long time ago. I just was not sure if the OP meant all vehicles or just those made 2011 and beyond. Thought maybe he was wondering if all vehicles would have to meet this requirement somehow by then not just the 2011 models...my bad
Old 03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

35 mpg is all a fleet average anyway where companies like Ford use the Fusion and Focus to to pull up the average of vehicles like the F-150 and Mustang. The way the new Fusion hybrid is looking, that number shouldn't be too hard to meet if that car becomes a hot seller which I suspect it will.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Speed-Demon
1st Gear Member

well if it states that the company only needs to sell them at 35+ mpg then that is ok, there are always after market mods.....cause nobody wants a bunch of muscle cars running around that cant break 15 in the 1/4 lol
Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

They cannot make it illegal to drive cars that dont get a certain MPG. The government makes a ton of money off of Gas Guzzler taxes on supercars and other low MPG vehicles anyways... why would they want to get rid of that tax? THEY CAN mandate that all vehicles made AFTER X.X.2011 have to have a certain MPG. China has a similar law about all cars getting a certain MPG (I think).
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Speed-Demon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
They cannot make it illegal to drive cars that dont get a certain MPG. The government makes a ton of money off of Gas Guzzler taxes on supercars and other low MPG vehicles anyways... why would they want to get rid of that tax? THEY CAN mandate that all vehicles made AFTER X.X.2011 have to have a certain MPG. China has a similar law about all cars getting a certain MPG (I think).
ah i see, well thanks for clarifing it for me, i was afraid i would never have a fast mustang lol
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Bay_Area_Boy
1st Gear Member

oh god this sounds almost as bad as the mileage tax in California
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 AM
squidney464
1st Gear Member

Think gas is expensive now, wait until they start losing that 2 million barrels of oil a days in sales. They'll raise gas prices to make up the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 national MPG Requirements?