Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2011 national MPG Requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squidney464
Think gas is expensive now, wait until they start losing that 2 million barrels of oil a days in sales. They'll raise gas prices to make up the difference.
2 million barrels is nothing on a world wide scale. OPAC was cutting production by more then that per day and gas prices were still falling 6 months ago.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Speed-Demon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by squidney464
Think gas is expensive now, wait until they start losing that 2 million barrels of oil a days in sales. They'll raise gas prices to make up the difference.
they raise it too high and ill get a gsxr lol.....or a stone wheel...

-its 2.02 right now in ohio. 2 weeks ago it was 1.58
Old 03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
abcxyz91291
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Speed-Demon
-its 2.02 right now in ohio. 2 weeks ago it was 1.58

Crap dude, those prices are amazing compared to Seattle...

lately the lowest has been about $2.17 for regular, and $2.41 for premium
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

I wonder if that will go for trucks too? I mean the best a full size can get right now is what 20-21? I think the new f-150 gets that. But they can't expect to make it get almost double that in two years. So I wonder how that all works.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
GTCritter
1st Gear Member

i think it will be the average for the entire fleet of the company (corporate average fuel economy). i think going from 27.5 to 35 in two years in unrealistic. that's like a 25% increase.

it really bothers me that all the government can seem to do is beat the auto companies to death. when the government starts producing cars better, then i'll be more inclined to respect them.....o wait, the government doesn't produce cars at all do they?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTCritter
i think it will be the average for the entire fleet of the company (corporate average fuel economy). i think going from 27.5 to 35 in two years in unrealistic. that's like a 25% increase.

it really bothers me that all the government can seem to do is beat the auto companies to death. when the government starts producing cars better, then i'll be more inclined to respect them.....o wait, the government doesn't produce cars at all do they?
Increasing mpg standards isn't exactly new so the car companies really can't cry foul saying they were blindsided.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

From what I know different sizes of vehicles (ie: trucks, SUV's, sedans, compact cars, etc) all have different MPG requirements. So as for the trucks getting 35 MPG... No. If say the current MPG requirements FOR EXAMPLE are 15MPG for Trucks then they might raise it to 18-20MPG.

But like someone else said -- they aren't going to make it unrealistic MPG's to the point where cars are going to get such good MPG and hurt Gas Companies. More people would rather have low gas prices and low MPG then high gas prices and high MPG I would imagine.

With that said I know that car companies CAN get better MPG then they do. I've seen some private people/companies make some amazing Horsepower #'s with amazing MPG.

P.S. I managed 30MPG 100% highway the other day. New fuel filter, clean air filter, and a few other bits.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
GTCritter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ato
Increasing mpg standards isn't exactly new so the car companies really can't cry foul saying they were blindsided.

i have nothing against better mpg, but my point is that the government likes to dictate a lot. and it's getting worse. they're going to force the auto companies to make cars people don't want to buy. i want to get off of foreign oil as much as the next guy, but i think it can be done better in the free market than through and edict from on high. and i'm pretty sure we're talking about an average of everything they build being 35mpg. so for every truck they sell at 20mpg, they have to sell something at 50mpg to balance that out. not even the new hybrid fusion makes 50mpg.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
GTCritter
1st Gear Member

here's is info from the national highway transportation safety board, the government agency that oversees the CAFE standards:

"What is CAFE?

Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is the sales weighted average fuel economy, expressed in miles per gallon (mpg), of a manufacturer’s fleet of passenger cars or light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs. or less, manufactured for sale in the United States, for any given model year."

I stand corrected. There is a different standard for passenger cars vs. light trucks. the current standard for passenger cars is 27.5 mpg, and the standard for light trucks as of 2007 was 22.2 mpg.

So i guess the 35mpg is only for the car line. I wonder if they will say anything about the truck line.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Speed-Demon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTCritter
here's is info from the national highway transportation safety board, the government agency that oversees the CAFE standards:

"What is CAFE?

Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is the sales weighted average fuel economy, expressed in miles per gallon (mpg), of a manufacturer’s fleet of passenger cars or light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs. or less, manufactured for sale in the United States, for any given model year."

I stand corrected. There is a different standard for passenger cars vs. light trucks. the current standard for passenger cars is 27.5 mpg, and the standard for light trucks as of 2007 was 22.2 mpg.

So i guess the 35mpg is only for the car line. I wonder if they will say anything about the truck line.

i dont think they will mess with the trucks too much, if they aim to have them get better gas mileage then where will the towing power go? it competely defeats the purpose of having a truck.....this thread really took off lol, didnt think there would be this many replies

Quick Reply: 2011 national MPG Requirements?