Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Default Motor Trend

Anyone see the May issue- the cover has the following Quote "Mustang killer?' speaking of the Hyundai Genesis 302 hp entry. I don't expect anyone to run out and trade in the Stang for one of these juiced up civics but the article is worth a look. Makes you think why did ford stick with the same power-train for the 2010?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

why did ford stick w/ the same engine? my guess is to save money.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Did anybody read the article? It NOT a Mustang killer, for 30K it runs 14.0 in the 1/4, pulls 0.92 G's and runs Motor Trends track in the mid 26 second range. The 2010 Mustang with the track pack also sells for 30K runs 13.5 in the 1/4, pulls 0.95 G's and runs their track in mid 25's. So mustang for same price is faster straight line and in the turns.

P.S. Hyundai 60 - 0 111 feet, Mustang 60 - 0 105 feet. So it stocks better too
Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 AM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

This is random, but I can't stop thinking about it. Does anyone else think it's crazy that the 2010 GT brakes better than the current Corvette Z06?

Z06's 60-0 is 108 ft.
GT's 60-0 is 105 ft.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 AM
steele901
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197winstang
Anyone see the May issue- the cover has the following Quote "Mustang killer?' speaking of the Hyundai Genesis 302 hp entry. I don't expect anyone to run out and trade in the Stang for one of these juiced up civics but the article is worth a look. Makes you think why did ford stick with the same power-train for the 2010?
You realize after the article they go on to compare the genesis to the 2010 mustang and the 370z and they pick the 2010 MUSTANG as the best overall car for the price/performance/functionality.

So the ? on the cover of the magazine is answer, the answer was no.

they were just trying to sell copies like they always do.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Sorry, but I've yet to see what was supposed to be so special about the Genesis.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

I dunno about you... but I could see some people choosing that sweet looking front end on the Genesis over the muscular and plain manly front end of the mustang NOT!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I'm actually considering getting a genesis V6 GT, along with the mustang as my top two choices right now. With the camaro V6, G8 GT, ralliart and wrx as longshots. The mustang is faster stock in a straight line, but without the track pack, I would think handling would be about equal. The V6 in the gen does seem to respond surprisingly well to mods for a 6 cyl. too.
For daily driving the gencoupe seems like a good choice as its more luxury oriented than the mustang. It gets better mileage, push button starting, leather interior, sunroof, bluetooth, nice stereo and i-pod standard, back-up warning system, tire pressure monitoring, and a good 6-speed manual or auto with paddle shifters. All this for around 26-27k as people are getting them for just a few hundred over invoice already (the auto is a 1.5k option though).
To get a mustang with "most" of these options, it will cost a good 32-34k. Granted I can get A-plan price, so I should be able to get a similarly equipped stang for around the same price, maybe a grand or two more hopefully. Nothing but good reviews on the gencoupe so far and no complaints from those who have purchased one. Only time will tell how the mustang reviews will go and if the quality issues in some of the reviews are addressed...
Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
I'm actually considering getting a genesis V6 GT, along with the mustang as my top two choices right now. With the camaro V6, G8 GT, ralliart and wrx as longshots. The mustang is faster stock in a straight line, but without the track pack, I would think handling would be about equal. The V6 in the gen does seem to respond surprisingly well to mods for a 6 cyl. too.
For daily driving the gencoupe seems like a good choice as its more luxury oriented than the mustang. It gets better mileage, push button starting, leather interior, sunroof, bluetooth, nice stereo and i-pod standard, back-up warning system, tire pressure monitoring, and a good 6-speed manual or auto with paddle shifters. All this for around 26-27k as people are getting them for just a few hundred over invoice already (the auto is a 1.5k option though).
To get a mustang with "most" of these options, it will cost a good 32-34k. Granted I can get A-plan price, so I should be able to get a similarly equipped stang for around the same price, maybe a grand or two more hopefully. Nothing but good reviews on the gencoupe so far and no complaints from those who have purchased one. Only time will tell how the mustang reviews will go and if the quality issues in some of the reviews are addressed...
Please don't mention Hyundai and luxury in the same sentence...Makes me feel uneasy

As for the "luxury additions," the Genesis may have a few more bells and whistles but the 2010 Mustang comes with Tire Pressure Monitoring System as well, in fact even the V6 'Stangs have it. And who needs a sunroof...When you have a glass roof?
And the icing on the cake which sets the Mustang a league in front of the Genesis....Microsoft Sync....MP3 capable, vehicle diagnostics, roadside assistance, phone answering, text messaging, GPS, etc.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Bluemeanie94

The fact that this Hyundai exists as well as the Camaro and Challenger is really a testament to how well Ford has done with the Mustang's execution since '05. This was a totally dead market segment with one lone survivor, the Mustang, that other manufacturers were happy to let Ford have.
Ford was so successful that these other manufacturers are being lured back into this segment. I love my Mustang, and unfortunately the competing manufacturers haven't built convertibles yet, but how much fun is it that we have all of these choices again? The Genesis coupe is quite an achievement being any sort of a driver's car from a country not very friendly to the concept. Am I going to buy one? No... my god it's homely, but cool just the same in that it's rear drive, available in a stick and fun to toss around- a very rare thing today. This is a car that will introduce many to the "pony car" that might not otherwise be able to get one. Heck, my first car was a 77 Celica GT fastback purchased because it looked like a mini Mach 1.

All of this competition breeds better Mustangs, it's a beautiful thing.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend