Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Shelby is a Demented old man

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Default Shelby is a Demented old man

Hey guys, let me just start off by saying I love Mustangs as much as anyone on this forum, but I cannot take the name Shelby being used as if he built the car's or has some god like essence to him. I'm sorry if this comes off as a little ranty to people on this forum. I just want to inform people about how much a of doush he has become. Sorry for the language. It jus gets to me when a man sues his fanbase. The link below is about a FORUM being sued for using Cobra name and discussing building REPLICAS. He is also suing Factory Five for providing replica kits but that's another story.

The point I have drawn from this is that IF he wins, he basically gains the right to sue anyone that he please that uses Cobra, Cobra logo, or Shelby name without a license.

He is suing a community of people that love his cars so much they build replicas at home yet they're place of gathering is being sued.

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206492
http://www.huntsbarger.com/?p=3

Sorry, for the rant again I just believe it is time to stop worshiping and old, greedy, demented loon. He has nothing to do with cars that have his name. I will not buy a Shelby labeled car for this reason. Call it Ford Racing you have a deal.

Last edited by ahddm; 05-07-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

This isn't something new, he has had an ongoing legal battle w/ car clubs using the Shelby name for years now.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

I figured he pretty much lost it when he got in bed with Chrysler and built the all mighty Omni GLH. That was over 20 years ago.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobertJ
I figured he pretty much lost it when he got in bed with Chrysler and built the all mighty Omni GLH. That was over 20 years ago.
why? because he built something that would destroy mustangs of the same era? ford can only blame themselves for going to the MII and then using the "GT###" names that he still owned the rights to...the omni wasnt great, but the turbo dodges from that era held their own, and then some.

he has always been frugal with his name, but any one of you who would say that you wouldnt be the same way is a liar. hes one of the most famous individuals in the history of the american auto industry and if he didnt bust ***** people would be making knock-offs of everything hes ever done. of course people cant use the shelby name..it HIS NAME, and he has made a reputation and career making that name what it is...why should some hack be able to throw an elaborate body kit on a car and call it a shelby?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

I understand him protecting his name that's why I don really care he suing other companies, he's suing a forums... that's like Ford suing us.

I'm not against him protecting his rights with companies, but once you get down to suing forums, blogs, etc. You've lost your mind.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

i run a bunch of forums, and ive been sued several times...just for using a company's name in the forum title. id rather not get into WHO has pursued legal action against my forums, but its happened with both american and foreign, cars, trucks, and bikes...

in speaking with one of the legal firms a few years back, i said "this is a forum of people who are promoting your product...people that love your cars, and we are spreading that positive message to other people who stop in". they replied with "we are XXXXX, we dont need your help. remove the terms in question immediately or else."
Old 05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I didn't they were that bad when it came to stuff like that I don't understand why it's bad for them in anyway. Well guess that's what it takes to make these people happy, if I was a company and I had leigon of forums discussing and promoting my product I don't see why sue them, they probably give them hundreds of thousands worth of busniess, exposure, etc. If anything help them stay in legal terms and help them avoid any conflicts. In my view sueing a forum creates a bad taste in the mouths of all those in forum and related forums.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I can understand the "protecting your name" sort of thing, but it's almost like burning a CD with illegal Music. In many countries (not the U.S.......... yet) it is legal to have that "illegal" Music and burn it (they consider it borrowing, similar to borrowing a book from a library) you just can't SELL the product.
I can see if people are building replica Mustang's, badging it up with Shelby logos, and selling them. But I'm sure that's what most people are NOT doing... They probably can't afford a $50-100K car. Plus a lot of these people putting the Shelby fascia's on and what not probably have a lot of engine work done too (not all, but many), it's like free advertising for Shelby... It's not like they are a bunch of rust buckets.
It's a wonder how people are still allowed to build those Replica Lamborghini Diablo's without being sued.
I also never understood why Ford doesn't allow use of their logo's in Calanders, forums, and what-not... with how crappy the Auto industry is doing you would think they'd want those free ad's.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

youd think so..but ultimately, if they arent getting a cut, they dont want the logos used.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

I'll give em my 2cents

Quick Reply: Shelby is a Demented old man