Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 AM
tankerman1981

I had paddle shifters on my IS350 and like stated above just not the same as a good ole fashioned stick... I think it would be a great mistake to include it as an option on a mustang...
Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
KITT
1st Gear Member

ok im convinced then. no paddle shifters. thanks guys
Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 AM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

Why would you eliminate it just because the stick fanatics think it isn't as good? Ford has said that they want all (or the vast majority of) their lineup to have the new 6 speed automatic. The SHO's iteration of this transmission will have rev matching, hold gears all the way up till redline if you don't tell it to shift, and have paddle shifting and the auto stick. This transmission is pretty close to what is in the Fusion sport, and it has gotten pretty nice reviews.
My current car is stick, I have driven the 2010 Mustang GT stick, and I am a valet who has driven pretty much every car in the world as stick. That being said...I DON'T WANT ANOTHER STICK CAR! Believe it or not, some people do not want it. I will admit, you can get more performance out of the stick, and it is more involving. I just do not want to have to work that hard. The auto is plenty fast, and much more consistent. Call me lazy, whatever. I just don't want to work hard enough to wrangle all that power when I have to stop and start several times every mile (in California).
I want an auto-stick so I can have some fun in the corners when I want to. I can put it in manual mode and downshift entering corners, and I can rev higher before upshifting. People will want this, just because you dont want an auto doesn't mean you shouldn't care about what Ford does about offering a product the masses will appreciate. I want a 5,0 GT, but I very much care about the fact that the V6 gets an upgraded motor as well. People drive the V6 mustang as a rental, the V6 sells more volume, and people will judge the Mustang's image, and Ford's image off of it, at least to some extent.

Okay, I have ranted enough. Sufficed to say, the Mustang SHOULD have a paddle shifted/autostick 6 speed and a 6 speed manual. There is no reason not to. Just port it from the SHO.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:55 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

sponkey21- point taken and I am all for the 6 spd AUTO with this as an option...as long as they offer it as a 6 spd manual too! I just test drove a Fusion sport with the 6 spd and it is very nice but the whole time I was searching for a clutch (my DD is a stick and so is the stang) Force of habit ...sure...can that be broken? sure but I really dont want too. I will get an AUTO if I buy the fusion but only for the gas mileage savings and the fact that if I ever get married the significant other wont drive a manual. From the muscle car standpoint I see no reason to NOT offer the 6 spd AUTO with paddle shifters as long as there is an option to get a manual transmission too....JMO
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 AM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

mygt500 - exactly. They absolutely should have a 6 speed manual. Its is very important to make sure that those who want to get the most out of their car can. But there is no reason not to give it the new 6 speed auto as well. It makes the Mustang better on the whole. An extra gear helps out acceleration, road racing/mountain curves (due to more options to keep the engine in the power curve), and better mileage. No brainer and the the tech is there. No DO IT Ford! (though I am pretty optimistic this is what will happen)
Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I am sure it will....they have to stay on the cutting edge and what the customer wants...there are many other stang owners that are not as "die hard" as we are on the forums and members need to remember that......again thats just this "die hard fan's" opinion

Look at it like this gents.....Ford answered every "want" (for the most part) on the 2010 stang that the S197 guys wanted on their stangs (actually started in 08-09) and the new motor and different trans option will happen too. It's all based off supply and demand and if the demand is great enough to supply it.....so this can hold true for paddle shifters on an AUTO as an option....besides you dont have to use paddle shifter on an AUTO anyway...just yet another "choice" that we can exercise or not use.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Paddle shifters take the fun out of a car, I waant my gear shift where it need to be, in the middle, and not on the dash like some hondas, and definitely no on the steering wheel. Plus manual transmissions are more fun. But as an option, may be, but I wouldn't buy one.

Last edited by MustangLouver; 05-20-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:34 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't mind the option being offered, but definitely NOT at the expense of a traditional stick and clutch pedal setup. I know a few ppl who would give a Mustang a try if it had paddles, so I'm sure having the option would gain Ford some new customers. Only issue I'd have with a manumatic is if it meant a drastic increase in price over what a traditional automatic would cost. Otherwise, hey........go for it (as long as I still get to have my stick and clutch ).
Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Paddle shifters would be a great OPTION to have for the Mustang. Most of the people in this thread are bashing them because it's not "true Muscle" to have such a thing. Well that is why it would be an option... as in your choice... not a must have. I would love to see Paddle shifters -- people that live in large populated area's would probably agree it would be a "middle-man" between having stick and automatic and make life a little easier. Having paddle shifters doesn't make your car any less muscle-y IMO.

A lot of you probably are old-school and dont realize that there is a young crowd with Mustangs and obviously with the 16 year olds who get Mustangs as a present would rather show off a paddle-shifter than a normal stick shift...
Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

Yep, just make the automatic the new six speed like they are putting in the SHO. That way you choose the manual (which should be a six speed as well), or you choose the auto. Your choice, but it should be there.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters