Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New mileage requirments, our cars are finished!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

lol at politics it cracks me up.....and at the same time makes ya mad.

no matter what some peeps are gona be happy then others pissed, its a battle knowbody wins.

everybody is corrupt and out to make a buck

fck a hybrid v6 mustang, show me one and ill drive my car right into it.

long live polution burning gas guzzling lopey idling monster engines!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

moved to mustang news, rumors, and discussion
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
05S281#139

Don't forget he said he'd close Gitmo and fix the economy.... and change the way washington thinks. He's are real visionary, which is to say he has his head in his *** most of the time. Don't worry, just like most of his agenda there is no plan to do this without bankrupting the already failing auto industry. Rhetoric doesn't equal results.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:26 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05S281#139
Rhetoric doesn't equal results.
And this should be painted in big letters all over every window of the White House. Maybe it will eventually sink in and we'll get a President to actually do something instead of making pretty speeches that don't mean jack.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:17 PM
ripastanky

This is what i'm going to do. Save up my money until 2015 and blow it on the highest option mustang there is. Or, it will give us an excuse to buy a nice classic.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I dont see it happening.

Matthew
Old 05-28-2009, 07:45 AM
kdf101

I agree with the others. Our cars will stay around, due to the fact that the fuel efficiency standards are based on the fleet average, not individual models. However......I do think this spells the end of the Camaro. Especially with GM headed for bankruptcy court. I don't see how, with the Gov't owning a major slice of them now, they will be allowed to keep a high performance, "gas guzzler", previously discontinued model. I hope I am wrong about that, but I predict the Camaro will be a memory once again in a few years.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM
RetroGT2006
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kdf101
I agree with the others. Our cars will stay around, due to the fact that the fuel efficiency standards are based on the fleet average, not individual models. However......I do think this spells the end of the Camaro. Especially with GM headed for bankruptcy court. I don't see how, with the Gov't owning a major slice of them now, they will be allowed to keep a high performance, "gas guzzler", previously discontinued model. I hope I am wrong about that, but I predict the Camaro will be a memory once again in a few years.
Kind of like the New GTO huh? lol
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
lol at politics it cracks me up.....and at the same time makes ya mad.

no matter what some peeps are gona be happy then others pissed, its a battle knowbody wins.

everybody is corrupt and out to make a buck

fck a hybrid v6 mustang, show me one and ill drive my car right into it.

long live polution burning gas guzzling lopey idling monster engines!
Amen, brother.

People don't realize that the C.A.F.E. standards are an average across all the vehicles a manufacturer produces. With all these Hybrids and clean diesel powerplants coming to market, I think this number is easier to reach without affecting us than people realize.

Hell, the new Prius and the new Jetta TDI are rated at 50MPG.

Remember: the more MPG those econoboxes get, the WORSE we can make ours. LOL
Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I was having a hard time finding timely numbers but in 2007 before the crash, Ford produced around 1.5-1.6 million vehicles. Of those, around 10% were Mustangs. Of the Mustangs only around 30% are GTs, (don't quote me on that, but it's a number I've heard a few times, I know there are a ton more v6 then v8.) So considering all that, some rough math would be 30000-50000 vehicles would be GT/GT500/mystery 5.0 in the future. Which means if Ford's market share returns to 2007 number or increases which I think it will b/c they are making some damn fine cars right now, that puts performance oriented Mustangs at around 3% of the overall market share for Ford. Even if you high balled it at 5%, at a CAFE fleet standard, I think we have little to worry about in the near future for our cars. Besides, I'm sure w/ a 6spd and maybe direct injection along with a few tweaks you could milk high 20s maybe even low 30s highway out of a future GT or high hp car.

Quick Reply: New mileage requirments, our cars are finished!