Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

CA Car Destroyed for Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Yes they want every one to drive a hybrid car out here. You get crazy tax breaks if you own one and you can drive in the HOV lane with one person in the car bull $#!t if you ask me.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:25 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I think all states are really strict when I comes to street racing. That im ok with, but to take someones car away cause a K&N intake is BS. Maybe some people want to get better MPG out of there cars.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 PM
dagamore
2nd Gear Member

are they crushing cars with mods that have the CARB sticker on them?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

I heard on the news last night Texas is cutting taxes and has a huge surplus. And cali is in debt more than anything. So I'm pretty sure this should tell us something when the most conservitive state has surplus and is cutting taxes and the most liberal (or one of the most) state has more debt than anyone... and has to resort to crushing people's cars. What do you think they will do when the run a whole country?? Go liberals!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
YotaMaster

Cool Cali Blues

Ok, it's true Cali's smog laws do suck, especially if you are into big mods. Stories like this are common in California for many reasons, we have sunshine year round so the racers are our in full force. Crack downs like these are mostly on the little import runners; you know the Waa Waa can exhaust, the genius who orders a race motor from Japan for his Civic well knowing it is illeagal, and the 17 year old goob who thinks his "decked out" CRX can do 120mph on the 15. These buble heads have made it hard for all of us, but as a small consolation the cops know that most muscle car owners (Vette, Stang, Hemi, Ect) owners don't fall into this catagory and for the most part leave us alone (unless you just flat out get caught, if ya know what I mean).

As far as tint goes, any tint on front windows is illeagal. Here is why (or why they say why)
1. In case of an accident the glass will not shatter as the factory intended for safty.
2. The officer can not get a clear look inside when approching the vehicle.

Still doesn't mean mine arn't tinted, but I have had to get it removed, ticket signed and then reapplied before. I guess thats the price you pay to be col.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Werecow
2nd Gear Member

CA laws are strict. Too strict. Most mods without the accompanied CARB sticker is illegal no matter who installs it. A 67 GT500 would be exempt as I believe cars fro 75 on done are now exempt, which is why the governmet is offering the clunker cash, as they are trying to get the older cars off the road.

My personal thoughts are, it shouldn't matter what you do to your car, so long as it passes the tail-pipe emissions test. If you street race you get busted and fined. The car shouldn't be destroyed. However, the government always punishes everyone instead of the few who cause the actual problems.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

the car will get crushed only if you get caught street racing, that's the only reason. Cars get impounded over here for lack of proper paperwork. I mean as far as mustang and other domestics, the police don't really bother you (unless your taggin 120mph goin down a freeway). Only dumb thing I have ever gotten yanked for (other than speeding tickets) was modified exhaust.... Had no tail pipes on my old fox stang, that was their only beef.... Never said nothin bout the off road x-pipe, the carb setup with no EGR, or the smog pump being eliminated.... But if I was drivin a ricer.... they would be on me all day.... So many dudes I know have gotten cited for having a modded ricer. Yeah car laws suck out here.... But really... All of us cali guys drivin our stangs, how many times you gotten pulled over and asked to open your hood? Or just for the hell of it cuz they think your street racing? Tint doesn't count.... Everyone gets tint tickets out here be it a ricer, domestic, truck, even mini vans.... The after market has been really kind to us Mustang enthusiasts, allowing technology to help us out and be able to throw a blower on and make mad horsepower and still pass emissions. Unfortunately for ricers, not so... There is so many of them they just mass produce stuff to make it look nice and make it sound funny.... Only fast ricers I have seen are all out race cars, or ricers that are just butched up with everything illegal done to it.... those are the guys that get the bulk of the crap, unfortunately it rolls down hill....

Last edited by javina80; 08-13-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

I'm glad I live in Texas lol
Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Ok heres the deal with the car crushing, I talked to a buddy the other day he's a CHP officer. He said that the crack down is on the imports cause 90% of them are owned buy people younger than the age of 25. They act like idiot's and drive the same. As for us guys with Mustangs, GM F-body's, and other Muscle cars they don't pay to much attention to us cause most of us are over the age of 25 and drive like normal people. As for mods they will pull you over if they have "probable cause" of street racing and such, and make you pop you hood. If you don't have proper documentation the will site you. For the tent part it is strictly cause the Cops cant see you at night. Boy I'm glad I have NY plates they cant touch me.

Last edited by gunpig0313; 08-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Sorry but this has ALL the typical makings of hoax information designed to scare people.

Quick Reply: CA Car Destroyed for Mods