MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/mustang-news-concepts-rumors-and-discussion-22/)
-   -   Mustang Scam (https://mustangforums.com/forum/mustang-news-concepts-rumors-and-discussion/561448-mustang-scam.html)

turnercc 09-09-2009 08:47 AM

Mustang Scam

So, cruising autotrader.com the other day, I come across a white 2007 Shelby GT with just short of 6000 miles for $16,000. My thoughts: "No F!@king way."

But, considering I've really got nothing to lose by at least contacting the seller, I went ahead and sent him an email. After a couple exchanges, everything seemed on the level, so I ask if I can come by for a test drive. I'm still not really taking this seriously, but, ya know, why not?

This morning, I get this email:

Charlie,

The car has 5,667 miles and is in excellent condition. It has never been in any type of accident nor has it had any mechanical or electrical problems whatsoever and it is also still under warranty. The car has no dents, door dings or scratches. The car has never been smoked in and never driven in the snow. Very clean, no bodywork or paintwork ever and there are no fluid leaks. It has been kept clean and always garaged. Nothing needs replacing, everything works perfectly.
This is the VIN: 1ZVHT82H975296786. The car is registered in my name and I am the original owner. There is no lien on the vehicle. I have the clean and clear title ready for transfer.

The car is currently located in New Jersey not in Maryland. I supposed to ship the car to Maryland so I listed the vehicle in MD just in case the buyer changes his mind. Then he told me that he found another vehicle so is no longer interested. He already paid the shipping charges. The shipping is paid.

I am currently on a oil rig on the Caspian Sea. I am working for Chevron Oil Company. Before leaving I had pre-arranged the deal with Ebay so my presence is not necessary. The car is in their possession ready to be delivered. Ebay will handle this transaction for me. The car is not listed on Ebay at this moment. The car is insured in case of damage and it takes 7 days to be delivered at your door. It will come with all the necessary paperwork (clear title, warranty documents, bill of sale, user's manual, insurance etc). You will receive all the original documents and keys with the car. I signed all the paperwork and the clear title is ready to be transferred to the new owner.
I will send you the pictures (in zip format)
If you are still interested just let me know and I will send you more details in order to make this transaction.

Thank you,

David Preston
Really? Who seriously falls for this stuff?

ODDYSEY 09-09-2009 08:54 AM

There was a news article about this not too long ago. It is definitely a scam, and unfortuntely there were people falling for it.

Misbehavin 09-09-2009 09:20 AM

I ran across a similar one with a Bullitt a few weeks ago I figured it was a scam, but contacted the "seller" to verify my suspicions. Once I knew it was, I had the ad removed. The funny thing is that the cars they list are often for sale, by someone else for a price that you'd expect to see them go for.

In my case, the VIN was registered to a guy in New York. The lady "selling" was in Virginia according to her. She claimed she got the car in the divorce, and that's why it was still in New York.

When the gathered information was forwarded to the real owner, who was tracked down by the VIN, he was pissed. He also said this wasn't the first time he's dealt with someone using his car for a scam. I tracked her using her email headers, and the IP addresses routed to the west coast. That information was forwarded to the proper authorities. Hopefully, they pursue action against her. I hate people who chose to scam others to sustain their existence.

rford426 09-09-2009 09:44 AM

^^^nice hope they bust that bitch

kenny17 09-09-2009 10:49 AM

When my gf was getting a puppy there were tons of scams saying the family just moved to cameroon for a religious mission and would ship the puppy after payment... who falls for that stuff.

Riptide 09-09-2009 10:55 AM

Western Union is the devil. That is all.

Chris07GT 09-09-2009 11:24 AM

I got the following e-mail when I listed my drag radials on craigslist:

Subject: Re: Nitto 275/40/17 Drag Radials NT555R Like New - $225 (New Tampa) Date: 2009-07-29, 7:46PM EDT Reply to: sale-hj9gf-1295994007@craigslist.org
To: "Christopher Jones" <*****@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 5:03 AM

Hello,

I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider
it sold,please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist to
avoid disturbance.Anyway,I don't have time to come over to take a
look because of my business but you don't need to bother
yourself with the shipment,I'll take care of that by engaging the services of
a mover,hence I'll be sending a Certified check and it will be
delivered to you via
United Parcel Service (UPS),so I'll need you to provide me with the
following information
to facilitate the mailing of check.........

Full name on the check.
Full Physical address to post the check
City, State and Zip Code
Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via
UPS NEXT DAY AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not
be responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over
as soon as you have cashed the check*

N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box address.
Thank

And here was my response back to him:

From: "Christopher Jones" <****@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts
To: "tom slave" <tomslave002@gmail.com
Sure sounds good!

Or better yet, you could go **** yourself! And if your going to try and scam people, try not typing your email with your ****ing stupid ass british gay-boy expressions.

Stupid ****ing douchbag!

Needless to say, I didn't get a response back!

SirKnightTG 09-09-2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 6482234)
Western Union is the devil. That is all.

Western Union - The fastest way to lose money...worldwide!

:D

Riptide 09-09-2009 11:36 AM

Yep a friend got taken for $500 from some a-hole in Italy. This was over a video card for a computer years ago.

turnercc 09-09-2009 12:02 PM

Hello,

I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider
it sold,please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist to
avoid disturbance.Anyway,I don't have time to come over to take a
look because of my business but you don't need to bother
yourself with the shipment,I'll take care of that by engaging the services of
a mover,hence I'll be sending a Certified check and it will be
delivered to you via
United Parcel Service (UPS),so I'll need you to provide me with the
following information
to facilitate the mailing of check.........

Full name on the check.
Full Physical address to post the check
City, State and Zip Code
Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via
UPS NEXT DAY AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not
be responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over
as soon as you have cashed the check*
How is this guy trying to scam you? Am I missing something here? Isn't he trying to send you money?