Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Hand held tuner uses

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:05 AM
03stangr

Default Hand held tuner uses

Hey all,
I know a lot of us use hand held tuners and what we mainly use them for being engine and automatic tranny valve body duty mods.

For those that aren't aware, I thought I'd add a little note regarding a different usage for them. If you already use it for the below as well, ignore this post.

I have a diablosport, so I don't pretend to know or need to know if a different brand is capable of data logging.
Before I put a Tranny Cooler on my Stang, I wanted to know what the Transmission temperature was. Luckily I was able to log that data using my tuner. The FORD code is TFT which stands for Transmission Fluid Temperature. From what I read, this code is common amoung tuners and scanners. When you're in hot rod mode, your fluid can get quite hot. I have a performance torque converter, which makes it get hotter yet. So if you don't have a Transmission temp guage and you have a tuner, just use your tuners to get and/or log that data. The list is huge so you will need to scroll down quite a bit to get to TFT. You could just save and/or extend the life of your tranny quite a bit. They are not cheap to replace/rebuild. My temp went down almost 100 F when in hot rod mode. I have a deaper and lighter tranny pan as well with cooling fins and use a Synthetic Tranny Fluid. This is going to make my
4R70W last a lot longer.

You can find the codes in your manual or on Diablosports website. Search their site using TFT under support/forums and it should get you there. One word of caution with those like myself that have a U7146. The tranny fluid temp will give you the impression that it's a Celsius read out. It's actually Fahrenheit, so don't worry. I verified this with Diablosport support.
-FYI -

Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I"ve found a lot of use in running codes on this trainwreck of a 97 ranger I bought.