Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Possible auto scam in Oklahoma City area

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default Possible auto scam in Oklahoma City area

I've received an email through our car club Yahoo account:

> Hi, I am the director of A Mirage Dance Company, a Middle Eastern dance troupe , and each year we participate in the OK Gazettes Ghouls Gone Wild parade downtown oklahoma city in October. Last year we even won the "hotter than hades" award In the parade we need to have our music playing with us along the route, last year we used a hot rod car , but the stereo was not loud enough. We need the music very loud!
> My question is, do you know of any one who would like to participate? it is a great way to advertise, there a hundreds of people out there that night for the event. we of course would pay the entry fee, and you can use a banner or such to advertise the park. thank you for your time Christie Giles

Here are the rest of the emails:

the date is oct. 24th and if you go to okgazette.com you will find the info

> What date is it, exactly? and does the event have a website or flier?

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 10:00:10 AM Subject: Re: parade/car
> Yes,
> last year the car (mustang saleen extreme) drove in front and we danced behind. it takes about 1hr or so , there are many pauses, a few stops, but it moves along pretty well.

September 14, 2009, 9:26 AM
> What, exactly, did you have in mind? Did you need an actual car to go along the route with your dance troupe?

Okay, So. On the outset, that's just weird. I'm 2 hours from OKC, and why would anyone in the OKC area email a random car club no where near them, and ask to use a car for a parade? Maybe I'm hyper vigilent, but this seems weird, especially given the choices of show cars in OKC.... I've tried to find the information on the parade through the link provided - and I get nadda. I also don't know what she's referring to when it comes to "Advertise the park." Also, she references a 'hot rod' the year before, then says its a Saleen Mustang. But then, maybe she just doesn't know the difference between a 'hot rod' in car-speak and a Mustang.

My gut says its a scam, so now I'm wanting to string them along and find out the angle, its just how I am. I've replied back this morning that I'm not finding the information they say can be found through the link. Waiting on response.

Anyone else ever had any experience with this sort of weird crap, and if you're from OKC or the area, ever heard of this event downtown?

Edit:

I DID finally find the section on the parade. It was NOT THERE last night. I went back and double checked. The event itself is legit, apparently. Now I'm just wondering about the request to use a car from our club... or someone else's car.

Last edited by Batenswytch; 09-16-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:37 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

By Middle Eastern I would guess they mean they are from Persian Gulf region? Or are they talking Ohio Valley Middle Eastern? The first would explain some of the word choices, and not knowing how far away you are.
But I don't think it sounds like a scam per se... worst you would be out is the drive to OKC. Now if they were wanting to 'borrow' the car, then I would definitely say Hell NO.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default Well, I'll be darned.

I did some digging, and this is a ligit event, and the email is the real deal - after quite a bit of research and back and forth emails, and finally a phone call to the person who tracked me down, I have discovered this is a belly dancing troupe that does performances in the OKC area. They are for real. The request is for real. They'd seen my car pix posted on facebook through our car club, and started tracking me down that way.

My dad is jumping up and down to go and take my car for me. (Belly dancers!? I'll go! I'll go!) LOL

Ahem.

My husband is also all about it - now that I explained they're belly dancers.

So. I apologize for the windy false alarm... I've seen soooo many scams just the last few years that anyone I don't know tracking me down and offering anything to me sends up red flags.

Now I just gotta get the sound system up and running again - someone STOLE MY FUSE for my amp out from under the hood at the downtown Cruise-in Friday night. WTF!? Oh well. At least I can replace it.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
tator152
1st Gear Member

well im glad you found out it wasn't a scam.. I'll agree it did sound like a scam somehow! I am from the okc area and have heard of Ghouls gone wild downtown though. So which of your mustangs are you gonna drive? "Nyghtmare" i'm assuming...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
samsilly2009

Thank god i was a rumour.I was totally scared after listening that scam.But now I'm fine that no such things is there.

Last edited by samsilly2009; 09-29-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by tator152
well im glad you found out it wasn't a scam.. I'll agree it did sound like a scam somehow! I am from the okc area and have heard of Ghouls gone wild downtown though. So which of your mustangs are you gonna drive? "Nyghtmare" i'm assuming...
Ya... it's gonna be the 'Mare. If I can keep from asphyxiating the girls! Its rings are shot and its smoking a lot lately. Hoping I can use an oil treatment to cut down on that. If not? Yikes! Its okay in a parade, as long as I don't romp on it... sheesh.