Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

How many people drive their Mustang during the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Chicago Guy

Default How many people drive their Mustang during the winter?

If you do , Do you use snow tires ? Add weight or do they handle okay in the snow ? This is my first winter and I plan on garaging it during winter months.

John
Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 PM
CopNaStang
1st Gear Member

My last Stang was a summer toy. Unfortunately we upgraded on the house, etc, so this year will be my first as well. I have an 04 GT 5 speed. I have driven many sports cars and other cars that were RWD cars in winter. A 90 Mustang coupe (auto), Turbo Coupe (5 speed), Iroc (auto), 75 Buick Convertible (auto), S10 with the ZQ8 handling package (auto), Crown Vics (auto), 85 Celica GTS (5 spd), and on and on. I always got by, but now I like to do it safely. Some had more issues than others. I think the IROC and Celica were the worst. None of these cars had winter tires either, which really made them horrid. I learned a couple years ago that winter tires are a great investment! Night and day from any all season. I put them on my Mazda 3 with factory 17" wheels. It went from barely getting by, to unstoppable. I threw Blizzaks on it. I already bought 16" Mustang V6 wheels a couple of weeks ago, and saving some $ for the winter tires. I think I am going with the General Altimax Artic this year. They seem to have very good ratings and a good price. I will probably drop by Lowes and pick up 2 sandbags as well. I am hoping to only do this for 1-2 winter.......max! Then I can hopefully get something better for winter and garage the Stang.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:15 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

You're going to get guys on here tell you their Mustangs handle better than a 4x4 in the snow, but IMHO they suck. I got a Winter beater (2000 Cherokee with 70k miles) last Fall for $4,500. It serves as a tow vehicle for my boat too, so it does double duty.

Can you get by with your Mustang in the Winter? Sure, but I'd rather not do it if I can avoid it. I'm sure I would have never got out of my sub division last year when we got 10 1/2 inches in one night. It took them 2 days to plow us out. My Jeep went right through it. If you're in Chicago, you should definately consider a beater.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Being that I live in South Carolina winter isn't even a issue. My car actually picks up the beat being that it doesn't have to deal with the heat.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Green '92
1st Gear Member

Drove my '97 GT through 3 winters with Nitto Drag Radials. Did ok. I was more worried about the other idiots slamming into me..
Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

Its ok with just 2 good snow tires in the rear and have a shovel in your car just in case.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Drove the Mach all last winter unless it was snowing like crazy and icy everwhere. And that was on BFG drag radials. The Cobra won't see that kind of weather at all. I've got an old Toyota pickup for that.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 AM
KITT
1st Gear Member

ive been through 2 winters in my 07. ive done just fine. got stuck once in parking lot cuz snow was too deep but all that required was a push.

some of us.....including me, cant afford to buy a 2nd car even if its a beater so we do what we must during the winter.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Here in Cali I have no problem with the winter...well besides the stupid people that freak out when it starts raining and they think the world is coming to an end so they feel the need to take other people with them when they spin out....but besides that Ive had no problems.

Matthew
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
67stangr
2nd Gear Member

My last mustang a 01 v6 coupe with 275 to 300 rwhp and no trac lock and did just fine in the winter months. took a little while to get to where i was going but i never got stuck and no idiots hit me, so thats good

Quick Reply: How many people drive their Mustang during the winter?