Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

old rumor 1967

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Newlook

Default old rumor 1967

Does a 1967 mustang GTA coupe with a prototype 427 cobra jet exsist? I have heard romur that one was built for Henry Ford II but that it was never delivered because he changed him mind and wanted a cobra jet fastback.

He is an artical from Hemming Motor discribing the features the prototypes have

Our feature car, owned by Don Fezell of DuBois, Pennsylvania, is perhaps the most desirable of all. Before the CJ engine was released to the public, a run of 50 lightweight fastbacks were produced for racing, many sold through the famous Tasca Ford dealership. They were released without sound deadening, power steering or a radio, and came solely in Wimbledon White. Production cars can be distinguished from prototypes by the VIN code, the presence of staggered rear shock absorbers, shock tower braces, front disc brakes and a different intake manifold. All CJs have a functional Ram-Air hood.

Note this car I speak of has all of these features but is a coupe GTA it also has a gas cap that doesnt seem to have ever been duplicated, it is a coiled cobra with the words Cobra Jet written on either side of the Coiled cobra.

IS this posible?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Inagaddadavida_loca

There is no such thing as a 427CJ, and there never was a production 427 Mustang from the factory.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Newlook

the 427 may be wrong but the cobra jet is correct is it possible with a differant engine 428, 390, 289 etc...
Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Newlook

Default clarification on 1967 cooupe

I own a 1967 gta coupe that has some irregularities they are list below. Since I'm not a mech I have been told some things that could be false so I will state what I know for sure.

1967 GTA coupe
a gas cap that has a coiled cobra and the words COBRA JET on either side
An engine that has cobra jet written on the value covers
an elderbrook intake
2 stablizer bars across the enginge one attached to the suppention struts and one in front of the engine this one is round
rear suppension that is angled in both directions ( front to back and slightly off set right to left)
front dics brakes
ram air vent on the hood that are active withteh turn signals in the center
Matching vin and door plate
the matri report I recieved say based on Vin and door plate info it was a 289-2v engine butthat documents were "inconclusive"

What that tells me is that there could be a discripency and that it may have been built as one car and sold as another as the rumors suggest.

Here is some other info I have track and talked with the orginal owner as well as all other owners from 1967-1980 and from 1983-2009 I have a 3 year gap in which I can not locate the owner due to deaths but none of the owners I spoke with changed the engine and all of them remember the Engine saying Cobra Jet and the unique gas cap even the 82 year old orginal owner but he said it was "just an ordinary car, nothing special". I believe he was sold a unique car under the preciption it was an ordinary car and because Mutangs were farely new he did not second guest it.

None of the owners I spoke with ever did any research because they knew that the GTA was some what Rare they just thought it to be a differant motor for the GTA preformance.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

hmm interesting...wonder if theres any truth to it. ^ you could have a lil piece of history on your hands
Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Inagaddadavida_loca

Originally Posted by rford426
hmm interesting...wonder if theres any truth to it. ^ you could have a lil piece of history on your hands
Unfortunately, that's the kind of thinking that promotes BS lies in the hobby cuz there are so many people who think their car is "special."

The owner has received the Marti Report that clearly states how his car was equipped. It shows that the car never came with a 427 from the factory and that the car isn't special beyond what Ford offered to the public.

It's up to the owner and his due diligence to figure out the leads, but he's come to a dead end. What's next? How about some deductive reasoning? So, what's the DSO for the car? When was it built? Etc.

And has a Shelby expert been approached to ask about the gas cap?

Rumors are a dime a dozen. The legwork needed may be worth it, but I find it highly unlikely that the car is anything other than a nicely modified Mustang. :twocents: