Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2011 Mustang GT faster than Camaro SS by "a substantial margin"

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

Originally Posted by gburke1
We already know those numbers are way too slow for the Camaro since people have got in to the 12's with them

Those drivers would have to be pretty **** poor to get that bad of a time... I mean if you just follow the rule of launch at 1700~ish you should be able to pull better times than that even w/ the tires cold...
so youre saying that you could put your car on a temp track in a parking lot, and run those same times, the first time out in the car? i think not.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 AM
jayhawker

I have never been one who would ever give an American car a second look but I am sold on the 5.0. It's a shame that Chevy wants to cling to pushrod technology. Having a DOHC 5 liter will have tuners going crazy. I know this car is only meant for straight line performance and I am ok with that.

I don't think the Camaro or SRT8 Challenger will have a chance. This will definitely have the other 2 back at the drawing boards wondering how to get more power to keep up.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM
NYstang88

Considering GM V8's have been the top of the V8 wars for a while now I think pushrod technology is working out for them pretty well. GM's problem is quality and cost cutting, and there cars need a diet as well.

These cars aren't programmed for straight line performance anymore, the track pack stang GT's and IRS camaro's are ripping through turns much better nowadays... I think you'll be very happy with the new 5.0 not only because it rip anything to shreads, but will carve corners all day as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

I was thinking about this more...and for those who are like "how are those guys such terrible drivers"...its like this.

imagine that youve never driven a terminator before...which i would venture to say that many have not. the power output of the new 5.0 is (according to ford) pretty close to the 03-04 cobras and minus the live rear axle, i think that this is a fair comparison.

now, imagine you show up somewhere and someone hands you keys to a terminator and says we have marked off an 8th mile in this new parking lot. youre going to get 5 tries to make your best passes and you cant clean the tires off...and when youre done, we are going to publish the results. oh, and the rest of the people with whom you compete for your job will be there, doing the same thing, and watching you.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Interesting to see how GM answers back. The pushrod technology is still kicking strong, but my opinion....time for a change.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

Im as big of a pushrod fan as you will find...but the new 5.0 looks to be very well put together...only time will tell.

Im expecting GM to come out with something like the Z28 soon...the NY auto show opens tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Why would GM need to get away from the pushrod technology? They've been making 400+ hp N/A for years with the LSx motors. Ford just now figured it out...Not to mention makes an (Advertised 412 hp) which is less than the current SS Camaro with 430 hp?

It seems to be working for them...

And just for the record. LSx cars have never been stellar 1/8th mile stars. I'd like to see a full 1/4 mile comparison. But from all accounts so far, the Mustang is making some pretty good impressions. Although, Ford has always had a better marketing department...So, I guess only time will tell. I can't wait to take a new GT for a spin.

Last edited by Sidewayz6.0; 03-29-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
NYstang88

Originally Posted by Demon 340

now, imagine you show up somewhere and someone hands you keys to a terminator and says we have marked off an 8th mile in this new parking lot. youre going to get 5 tries to make your best passes and you cant clean the tires off...and when youre done, we are going to publish the results. oh, and the rest of the people with whom you compete for your job will be there, doing the same thing, and watching you.
Couldn't agree more. I know if somebody threw me the keys to a termi I'd have a hard time posting the best times it could get, especially since I've driven fwd all my life.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:44 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Too many people getting hung up on the slow times ran for both cars. That's not really the point. The point was a comparison of how both cars would run under similar conditions. The 2-3 tenths difference in their times is more important than how good or horrible that actual ET's were IMO.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM
jayhawker

I hear how a lot of you believe in the push rod technology, it's just so old. It's taking Chevy an extra 1.2 liters to make a few extra horse power and I know gearing will have a lot to do with the times, but I really feel the Mustang will dominate for a while.

As for handeling, I am sure it will be fine but I would rather be in my old STi or EVOIX if I were railing in the mountains again. Kinda past that now. Just want to have a something fun again.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT faster than Camaro SS by "a substantial margin"