Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Who knew (not me) article from Mustang Monthly

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
humansieve
1st Gear Member

Default Who knew (not me) article from Mustang Monthly

Science Fact: The Original Mustang Was Styled After...
“If you’ll look at the side view, the original Mustang is nothing more than a scaled-down Continental Mark II,” says Charles Phaneuf, who in 1962 was exterior stylist for the Ford Advanced Studio, which came up with the winning design for the original Mustang. ”Nobody has really picked up on this, but that’s basically what the proportions are.” The actual modeling of the car took 11 days. Some unsung heroes are Walter Amrozi (retired to Florida); George Shoemaker, instrumental in the original small mouth on the front end; and Max Kruger (retired), the studio engineer.

Lee Iacocca, according to Phaneuf, never saw the model until it was done in clay. He approved it and became the financial father of the Mustang. Iacocca, in fact, liked the design so much that he went to the board and got money to tool a second assembly plant in San Jose, California, which proved a second great financial victory.

Read more: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehis...#ixzz1pKctWp5E