Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Dealers will be dealers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
nsutliffe

Default Dealers will be dealers.

So yesterday, I went up to Dick Smith Ford in Columbia, SC, and wanted to get some information for my upcoming '11 GT order. Since I'm in the USAF, when we deploy to overseas locations, we can take advantage of an AAFES program that significantly reduces the price of a new vehicle. But back to the dealer. I called earlier this week to see if the dealer honored the program, and it seemed they were a little cloudy on it, but would offer me invoice on a new GT. "Invoice, UH, YES PLEASE" was something that came to mind. And if I got something stating the price of the build, I could bring it to the AAFES car buying service and they would either match it, or offer me $300 less. Lastly, the reason I went here in the first place was this is the place I wanted my car delivered. They seemed to have an extensive handle on specialty Mustang models (Roush, Saleen, Shelby) so I figured my car would be in the best of hands.

Yesterday afternoon I dropped by to get a copy of an offer so I could bring it with me when I place my order. I met the saleman I spoke to on the phone, and he seemed pre-occupied, but said that he'd be with me as soon as he could. That was more than alright, I wasn't in a rush, and I wanted that familiarity of dealing with someone I already started building rapport with. So, he wrapped up what he was doing, I refreshed him on what I was interested in and the car buying service, and he still seemed unclear. He took me over to the GSM and, again, I told him about the service. I got a blank face in return and he said he hadn't heard of it before, so I went further into detail and even pulled up the website, www.encs.com. He pretty much gave me his take on it, saying he understood it as more of a broker, finding the car you want or something similar on another lot, and shipping it to their dealership. I told him that he misunderstood, and before I even finished he insisted that he infact did understand. I looked at him and said "So you're telling me that, even though they are an authorized dealer and send build requests to Ford, that I'm in fact, wrong about the service I just brought to your attention?" and he flatly said Yes. icon_screwy

Then I asked about their builds, and they said they hadn't submitted any orders yet, and they didn't even have pricing icon_eek. I then asked them about the 11,000 orders that had been submitted by late-February, which was .. oh, 2 months ago? Or about the Build & PRICE feature for the 2011 model year on Ford's website. Again I was met with shifty eyes.

I have never felt so crazy in my life. There is a 2011 Mustang GT with a new Ti-VCT equipped 5.0 liter engine, right? This website,www.encs.com, and the people I've dealt with already ARE REAL, right?

Dealers blow my mind.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:10 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Welcome to the club.... ahaha. Been there before. Hence, why i hate buying new cars, that and also because ill let someone else take the depreciation hit from leaving the lot. But it might just be the salesrep / dealership. It can be a hit or miss sometimes. I've been to dealerships where they know their cars better than they might know their own family. Then again i've been to dealerships where the sales reps prob couldn't explain the difference between a v6 & v8. Those are the places i like to go to ahaha. JK But really i get a kick when i realize im at a one of those places because I have to correct them every fews times when they try to explain to me what they think they know? Im like UMMM.... no. What it is really is this.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:15 PM
nsutliffe

Hah I hear ya, I've had an account on this place before, but I forgot the login, soo I decided to make a new one today. As for the dealer, the only reason I'm buying new is because I'm getting such a huge discount off the MSRP, that it'd actually be more expensive for me to buy used (perks of gov't work ) I understand about having to explain yourself sometimes, but I just wanted to ask the guy, "Okay, you're a GSM, and you're having a customer explain the product to you. ..I'm sorry, what's your job again?"
Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by nsutliffe
Hah I hear ya, I've had an account on this place before, but I forgot the login, soo I decided to make a new one today. As for the dealer, the only reason I'm buying new is because I'm getting such a huge discount off the MSRP, that it'd actually be more expensive for me to buy used (perks of gov't work ) I understand about having to explain yourself sometimes, but I just wanted to ask the guy, "Okay, you're a GSM, and you're having a customer explain the product to you. ..I'm sorry, what's your job again?"
Thank you Sir for serving and protecting our country. I for one appreciate it. If they treat you like crap or are idiots I wouldn't give them any business. I'd purchase my mustang from another ford dealership. Even if I had to drive a bit extra. I'd only purchase from this ^^ dealership if they are giving me the best deal. In your case (correct me if im wrong) but it sounds like you could go elsewhere to get your new car? Good customer service and establishing a good relationship w/ the customer will go along way in my books. The customer should feel value and this will boost future business as well recommendations to others to buy from that place. I assume that your belief of this is similar to mine. Now im not ripping on Chevy here because I own a mustang but GM i think has worse service than any Ford place i've been to but every states different i suppose.

edit: I know the ford dealership where I bought my car will let me take any mustang.... Roush, Saleen, Shelby off the lot w/o hassle. But most give me this run around of well are you seriously going to buy it? Like almost 100 % otherwise you can't drive. Well bud how do I know if Im gonna like it if I can't test drive it? DANG lol

Last edited by sonicx; 04-25-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

I got the same response when I was inquiring about their performance package. They were speaking as if what thet were saying was fact and that I didnt know what I was talking about. Luckily, I had a printed page with the specs from their site and at the bottom the print read 'Available at ANY Ford dealer'. They looked suprised and said they'd give me a call back, lol. I try to avoid those basturds.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Sad but happens every day. Stealerships are only good at taking your money.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

lol, this one time me and the gf stopped by a chevy stealership, I delt with the sale's manager throught the whole thing really... i was looking for my dad for another truck... the gf was looking for a car (sure didnt end up with anything for either)... then obviously for giggle's i wanna drive an SS, *note: i pulled up in the stang* he looks at me and says its got over 400hp. and said no....and continued to say it..... and in all that i say.... dealerships can be idiots.... why is it we know more about the product/service than what they know and there selling it to us? and funny thing is, we walked out with 0 cars, and it could have been 3 lol
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by mstngsule68
lol, this one time me and the gf stopped by a chevy stealership, I delt with the sale's manager throught the whole thing really... i was looking for my dad for another truck... the gf was looking for a car (sure didnt end up with anything for either)... then obviously for giggle's i wanna drive an SS, *note: i pulled up in the stang* he looks at me and says its got over 400hp. and said no....and continued to say it..... and in all that i say.... dealerships can be idiots.... why is it we know more about the product/service than what they know and there selling it to us? and funny thing is, we walked out with 0 cars, and it could have been 3 lol
Thats what im saying.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

at all depends on the dealer. when i worked a ford dealer we had to learn all about the products b4 they would turn us loose on the lot and if you was heard not giving the real facts you could lose 10% of your front end gross. but there are so many programs out there the sales crew may not know about half of them alot of the times.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:58 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Too funny.....no because it has 400hp. Your right. If I drive that my mustang would feel too fast.

Quick Reply: Dealers will be dealers.