Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2011 mustang 5.0 daily driver review (week 1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:02 PM
bigscott
1st Gear Member

yeah tire rack charges that because your getting BRAND new sensors. Otherwise most tire shops can just swap over your old sensors into the new wheels and retrain em. I work at a tire shop and we do it all the time. There may be wheels tho the sensors wont fit in i guess.

the older 07-09 models i beleive all have banded sensors. now ford is using the snap on sensors which GM has been using.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM
StuckInNYForever

Only problem is that you can't order the cheaper wheel/tire packages from the online shops since they come pre-mounted and balanced. You would have to take off the tires first. And, you wouldn't be able to keep a summer set and winter set of tires easily unless you have 2 sets of sensors (it would suck having to unmount, and remount and re-balance 8 tires every 6 months!).

It will either cost you in sensors, or labor. Depending on whether you are replacing your wheels permanently, or keeping 2 sets of wheels for the different seasons will help determine which way to go.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

Cool

well unless you go with a very low pro tire you dont have to dismount the tire all the way. if you have a crafty tire guy he can break down the tire and use the tire machine to push the tire down right where the valve stem is he can then use a screw driver to unscrew the screw that holds the sensor in place and then just pull the sensor off and do the same thing with the new tires, but if you order tires without sensors they will come with regular valve stems but you can replace those with the same method.

i worked with a guy at a ford dealer who could replace entire bands and sensors on the old style TPMS using a similar method and he wouldnt have to dismount the tire, i did it a couple times and he made it look alot easier than it was lol.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 AM
sonicx
speed'n

wow i was unware of this ^^^ is there a way to disconnect the sensors completely? Why did Ford add sensors in 08+? Seems kinda dumb, like another way to get money.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:54 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zerobane

Bad

-typical useless back seat
Huh? Works pretty well for my two kids and the occasional adult. Definitely not a car you'd want to take 4 adults on a road trip with though.

-six speed; loves jumping from 1st gear into 4th while racing the soccer mom's in there mini vans.
Are you referring to the skip-shift? I thought it didn't force it if you were WOT??

-traction control is always on; even when off
That doesn't make sense...it isn't like that on any of the other Mustangs?? What are you basing that observation on?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Kurt_OH

Originally Posted by sonicx
wow i was unware of this ^^^ is there a way to disconnect the sensors completely? Why did Ford add sensors in 08+? Seems kinda dumb, like another way to get money.
I don't think you can blame this one on Ford or any single manufacturer - IIRC, it's a law/requirement - like a 3rd brake light.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
I don't think you can blame this one on Ford or any single manufacturer - IIRC, it's a law/requirement - like a 3rd brake light.
I'm not blaming anyone persay.... just curious as to why then its a law? Because my 04 doesn't have it.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 AM
FORDMOPAR70

Nice 5.0. Got mine last Tuesday. I do not have the same issues with the MT82 gearbox you mention. 1. The clutch engagement is perfect and quite low in the pedal travel. 2. The skip shift has only engaged one time in 350 miles of driving and I had to work at getting it to engage.

Oh the humanity!! what is that screwed to your front bumper!!! Georgia does not require a front plate, but when I lived in Iowa and had a 2008 GT500, I refused to screw anything into the bumper cover - in 1 year I never had a single issue with it.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by sonicx
yea we got good at doing the valve stems like that especially when the bad batch of valve stems that ford got started coming through and we were changing 30-40 a week.

also i dont believe there is anyway to disconnect it and it was federally mandated for all vehicles after the 07 year. i think they did it to improve emissions and safety. the lower the airpressure in a tire the less fuel mileage you get and the more prone to tire damage and tire failure.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

no the tire pressure system is just a dummy light to let the idiots who can't check the air in their tires know that their tires need air in them.

Quick Reply: 2011 mustang 5.0 daily driver review (week 1)