Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2010 v6 power adders

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
JNash

Red face 2010 v6 power adders

What's up everybody??? I'm a little bit mad, because I recently bought a 2010 V6, which I love, but now 2011 V6's come with 305hp.

Some people say that the 4.0L is better, because it' s a stronger engine, and a lot of power can be added. I need a little help, because besides headers, pulleys, and gears (3.73, or 4.10), I don't know how to add more hp.

What other power adders can I add??

*= I've seen 3 pony's with backfire problems from those "Diablo Sport Perf. Tuners"... so, I am not leaning towards them.

**= I like the idea of a Magnaflow Double Exhaust, or any other exhaust, but I heard that, if you don't install a supercharger, the pony is going to lose hp, instead of gaining it.

Please comment and give advice since I'm kinda new to this Mustang world.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

If by backfire you mean popping, that is exhaust related and indicative of a muffler delete without a resonator. As far as power adders, the first thing you need to do is get an intake/tuner as that will be your cheapest and largest gain of any mod. From there, there are a host of things you can do. On my list would be Underdrive pully, headers/xpipe, aluminum drive shaft, and gears. To be honest though, dollar for HP, you cant beat a blower. If I were you I would save money for a blower if performance is what you are seeking/
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

The only way you will get comparable #'s to the '11 v6 is with a supercharger or turbo. Well, also nitrous could get you there in bursts but it's cheaper than the SC or turbo.

The smaller stuff you mentioned will get you some gains but in no way close to the 305hp (or w/e it is) that the '11's have. Also, I run a predator with the canned 91 oct tune and have had no issues at all. In fact that/CAI may be the single best bang for my buck so far, pepped it right up. From what I hear the brenspeed/Bama custom tunes are even better. I'd recommend a CAI/tune combo all day as one of the top on the to do list.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 06-03-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
ShakenRoush05
2nd Gear Member

Default Cold Air Kit

Have you installed a Cold Air Kit and a tune? Also high flow cats will help and not cause a drop in low end torque!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Waaaaaaah! Stop your bitching! If you recently bought your car, there is no one to blame but yourself!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:02 AM
JNash

well thanks for the tips.... just ordered the und. pulley; the pypes shorty headers 1' 5/8"; and next week, I will order the tuner, which I saw on youtube is quite easy to use.... after that, i'm gonna buy some wheels, hopefully the shelby 500 2010's, or the 2009's....

btw, conejo, I ain't bitchin'.... the pony is awesome, just wanted to see how to get more power.... and also, the car, with factory suspension, responds great on high speed cornering...
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
If by backfire you mean popping, that is exhaust related and indicative of a muffler delete without a resonator. As far as power adders, the first thing you need to do is get an intake/tuner as that will be your cheapest and largest gain of any mod. From there, there are a host of things you can do. On my list would be Underdrive pully, headers/xpipe, aluminum drive shaft, and gears. To be honest though, dollar for HP, you cant beat a blower. If I were you I would save money for a blower if performance is what you are seeking/

+ 1.. This is something that I wish I had did years ago (buying a blower).. I've spent probally a couple grand and gained what 20-35 RWHP. A blower is most def the way to go. Also Op its kinda too late (unless you plan on selling your car) to worry about the 11's.. I would take jayeds advice save up for a blower. I'm pieceing mine together and expect to save about 1800 bucks.. Good luck tho and any decision that you make

Last edited by Soldier GT; 06-04-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
JNash

thanks again for the advice everybody... what I think I'm gonna do is: 3.73 Gears w/posy ; Headers; Pulley; and Maybe a Tuner (have to do some research for the best one :P)..... but I'm gonna save towards a S.C. definitely..... also the X-Pipe (Very NICE!!!)

but for now (while saving for the S.C.) , I'm going to add some wheels, fog lights, the front grill.

I really like the combination of the 2009's Shelby GT 500 wheels, on the 2010 Mustang...

http://www.mrbodykit.com/2010mustang...its/index.html

Also, "Road and Track", I think the October or November 2009 issue, there's a pic of a light blue GT 2010 with the 09' wheels, and DAMN, looks awesome!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JNash
thanks again for the advice everybody... what I think I'm gonna do is: 3.73 Gears w/posy ; Headers; Pulley; and Maybe a Tuner (have to do some research for the best one :P)..... but I'm gonna save towards a S.C. definitely..... also the X-Pipe (Very NICE!!!)

but for now (while saving for the S.C.) , I'm going to add some wheels, fog lights, the front grill.

I really like the combination of the 2009's Shelby GT 500 wheels, on the 2010 Mustang...

http://www.mrbodykit.com/2010mustang...its/index.html

Also, "Road and Track", I think the October or November 2009 issue, there's a pic of a light blue GT 2010 with the 09' wheels, and DAMN, looks awesome!!!!
Sounds like a good starter... Seems as though you got a plan and thats good. Do light performance mods, hook the exterior up and then get the blower. Sounds great dude!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JNash
well thanks for the tips.... just ordered the und. pulley; the pypes shorty headers 1' 5/8"; and next week, I will order the tuner, which I saw on youtube is quite easy to use.... after that, i'm gonna buy some wheels, hopefully the shelby 500 2010's, or the 2009's....

btw, conejo, I ain't bitchin'.... the pony is awesome, just wanted to see how to get more power.... and also, the car, with factory suspension, responds great on high speed cornering...
JNASH,

I was just giving you a hard time, Congrats on the car, I love my 2010 v6 as well. Post pics of your car!

Quick Reply: 2010 v6 power adders