Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Did some shopping this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 AM
73_87_89_STANG

Default Did some shopping this weekend.

I haven't had a Ford since I bought a 1997 Mercury, and haven't owned a Mustang since 1989.

To say the 2011 Mustang isn't exciting is a gross understatement.

On Friday, I went by and talked to a couple of managers of service departments. My question is how much I can do to the car without voiding the warranty. According to them, not much. I did get the message they don't want the tune messed with, but headers and cat back are OK. I really need to find and talk to a dealership that deals with the SVT group, but there are none in my part of Houston.

Yesterday I took a test drive in a 2011 V6 auto. Due to my wife having diabetes and diabetic neuropathy we need to get an auto. Her feet and legs are very sensitive, so operating a clutch and shifting is difficult. Anyway we drove two V6 cars, one with the premium interior and the 3.31 rear end, and the other was the base package with the base rear end. I drove the base one, and the wife drove the premium one.

The V6 is a really well built and put together car. My past cars are a 05 GTO, 09 Vette and 09 G8 GXP. Of course the V6 isn't in this class, but it was close to my 05 LS2 GTO when it was bone stock. I honestly feel the V6 is a high 13 second car as has been mentioned, but the GTO was a mid-low 13 second car. I know it is very unfair to compare the V6 with this group of cars, but I just wanted and idea of how it drove and the performance. Personally if the GT is what I think it will be, it will be a monster. Bottom line is that I was surprised and pleased at the V6. For the money, this is one hell of a car, with great looks, high 13 second capability, and good gas mileage. The folks in Dearborn did their homework and did it well.

Now for a couple of questions that a dealership can't answer, but you guys here would be the best bet.

Back to the manual vs. auto. On the GM forums I am a member of, the basic feelings are with the GTO's, Vettes, and GXP, the auto is just a bit quicker in the quarter and there are different reasons for this, which I won't go in to. All of these cars were difficult to launch, and I guess most drivers can't outshift the computer which gives the auto a bit of an edge.

My question: in the past, as a general comment, how has the auto GT ran against the manual? With Fords, is one really faster than the other, or are they close? With the 2011, at this point, is the auto vs. manual (using past GT's) an apple vs. apple or apple vs. orange comparison?

Another question, has anybody dealt with the SVT group for mods.? Your thoughts?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 AM
73_87_89_STANG

Since I can't edit my post.

Another question I just thought of.

Will a tune wake up a GT auto like it did the GM cars? It seems a tune really woke up the new Camaros and new G8's. I think the torque management is really conservative.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:32 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Both the auto and manual transmissions are 6 speeds for the 2011's, so at best the manual will be quicker, but I don't think the difference is significant.

In the past, manuals were king up until the 2005 (S197) bodystyle.

For the 2005-2009 automatic GT's, many people that added an aftermarket tune to their car have mentioned great results. Time will tell if the 2011+'s will be no exception.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 73_87_89_STANG
I haven't had a Ford since I bought a 1997 Mercury, and haven't owned a Mustang since 1989.

To say the 2011 Mustang isn't exciting is a gross understatement.

On Friday, I went by and talked to a couple of managers of service departments. My question is how much I can do to the car without voiding the warranty. According to them, not much. I did get the message they don't want the tune messed with, but headers and cat back are OK. I really need to find and talk to a dealership that deals with the SVT group, but there are none in my part of Houston.

Yesterday I took a test drive in a 2011 V6 auto. Due to my wife having diabetes and diabetic neuropathy we need to get an auto. Her feet and legs are very sensitive, so operating a clutch and shifting is difficult. Anyway we drove two V6 cars, one with the premium interior and the 3.31 rear end, and the other was the base package with the base rear end. I drove the base one, and the wife drove the premium one.

The V6 is a really well built and put together car. My past cars are a 05 GTO, 09 Vette and 09 G8 GXP. Of course the V6 isn't in this class, but it was close to my 05 LS2 GTO when it was bone stock. I honestly feel the V6 is a high 13 second car as has been mentioned, but the GTO was a mid-low 13 second car. I know it is very unfair to compare the V6 with this group of cars, but I just wanted and idea of how it drove and the performance. Personally if the GT is what I think it will be, it will be a monster. Bottom line is that I was surprised and pleased at the V6. For the money, this is one hell of a car, with great looks, high 13 second capability, and good gas mileage. The folks in Dearborn did their homework and did it well.

Now for a couple of questions that a dealership can't answer, but you guys here would be the best bet.

Back to the manual vs. auto. On the GM forums I am a member of, the basic feelings are with the GTO's, Vettes, and GXP, the auto is just a bit quicker in the quarter and there are different reasons for this, which I won't go in to. All of these cars were difficult to launch, and I guess most drivers can't outshift the computer which gives the auto a bit of an edge.

My question: in the past, as a general comment, how has the auto GT ran against the manual? With Fords, is one really faster than the other, or are they close? With the 2011, at this point, is the auto vs. manual (using past GT's) an apple vs. apple or apple vs. orange comparison?

Another question, has anybody dealt with the SVT group for mods.? Your thoughts?

very good write up man..
Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

So happy to see a V6 with some power. The commerical for it is so great too....

Matthew
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Auto V manual:
yes, manual can be faster with the right driver, and is arguably more fun, but auto is much more consistent since it does not depend anywhere near as much on driver input

as for the warranty: dont worry too much about it

in order to void your warranty, they have to be able to prove that your modifications are what caused a failure. so, if you have a tune on there, you can easily reset it to the factory tune when you take it in for service

but if you put a supercharger on there and then throw a rod (not likely unless you are using way too much boost) that will void your warranty

if you have a CAI on it and you take it in for rattles or gear whine, they cant void the warranty because of the CAI

its basically, "you break it you buy it"