Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe To Receive 429 HP 5.0L V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 PM
hot sauce
2nd Gear Member

Default Hyundai Genesis Coupe To Receive 429 HP 5.0L V8

what in the hell is going on over at hyundai. the big 3 need to kick it up. it could get real interesting real fast next year. the 2011 gt could get its thunder stolen next year when this thing hits the streets.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/hy...-v8-21702.html
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

They better improve the suspension on those things quite a bit if they're saddling it with a big power V8. Those things melt all over the place on turns with the power they have now. I predict it being nothing but an impressive tire smoker. Plus it'll probably cost close to 40K. No thanks.

EDIT: It's going to be mounted to an EIGHT speed gearbox? F**k that. That's gonna be more work than riding a freakin bicycle. Is the current V6 model not selling well enough that they're bringing in this thing? Cuz if it's not, I don't think the V8 powerplant is going to change things. The Genesis' market is largely made up of ppl who don't want or need a V8, and the ppl who do like V8 power won't be looking to a Hyundai to get their fix. We'll see how this turns out though. Could be interesting.

Last edited by ThisBlood147; 07-15-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

437HP wont matter when the damn thing falls apart at 15000 miles....

But in all seriousness, the article says the motor won’t be ready until mid-2011 which puts it as at least a late add to model year 2012. Most likely you won’t actually see it in the car until MY2013. By that time the Mustang 5.0 will have established itself about as well as it can, and considering the following the Stang has in the aftermarket scene, I don’t think you'll see legit completion from the Genesis.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I still wouldn't buy one...
Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Don't think Hyundai's are falling apart anymore.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Ah the 500's have them covered
Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I have to give Hyundai and Kia some props in very recent times for *some* of their new vehicles, not everything is fugly anymore that they make.
Reasons that this will fail is:
1) Like already stated: If someone is looking for a fast foreign car they are looking for a tuner car (ie civics, tiburons, crx's, scion's, crap like that). They aren't looking for a V8. Most of the people that are into those tuner cars are all the same people that will bash V8's all day everyday.
2) Price. Hyundai has been known for its cheaper priced vehicles which offer those good warranties, blah blah blah. This thing will obviously cost lots and lots of money. Personally I think someone would be kind of dumb to purchase this new when I'm willing to bet they could pick up a brand new EVO or STI which I'm also willing to bet will easily keep up with, if not kill one of these new Genesis's on the track.
3) I'd much rather say "I have a 412hp Mustang" (heck at the price this thing will go for maybe even a GT500?) than "I have a 429hp Hyundai"

I can see this thing being a sweet ride if they actually could keep the price down and make it affordable for the younger generation of people.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I have to give Hyundai and Kia some props in very recent times for *some* of their new vehicles, not everything is fugly anymore that they make.
Reasons that this will fail is:
1) Like already stated: If someone is looking for a fast foreign car they are looking for a tuner car (ie civics, tiburons, crx's, scion's, crap like that). They aren't looking for a V8. Most of the people that are into those tuner cars are all the same people that will bash V8's all day everyday.
2) Price. Hyundai has been known for its cheaper priced vehicles which offer those good warranties, blah blah blah. This thing will obviously cost lots and lots of money. Personally I think someone would be kind of dumb to purchase this new when I'm willing to bet they could pick up a brand new EVO or STI which I'm also willing to bet will easily keep up with, if not kill one of these new Genesis's on the track.
3) I'd much rather say "I have a 412hp Mustang" (heck at the price this thing will go for maybe even a GT500?) than "I have a 429hp Hyundai"

I can see this thing being a sweet ride if they actually could keep the price down and make it affordable for the younger generation of people.
+1, although a 429hp Hyundai would be interesting.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Bluemeanie94

I think it's going to do well. If they keep the look the same it will be a great sleeper. Would I own one? No, driving a stick is just too important to me, but there are millions of drivers out there that can't drive a stick or could care less. It's a pretty good looking car as well, that I still think will have a bit of rarity. I don't think you'll see yourself around every corner. If Hyundai gets better at the dynamics, puts a decent interior in the car and keeps the pricing about where it is, it's a home run in anybody's park. I don't think it will hurt Mustang sales at all either. Funny, in 2000 everyone except Ford was in the process of abanoning the 2 door coupe market. Much like the Miata did in the 90's for 2 seat sportscars, Ford really brought back a whole market segment on their own in 2005. Quite a feat really.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I don't know where this site got its info, but Hyundai has been pretty clear they wouldn't be putting the V8 into the couple, for the sedan only.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis Coupe To Receive 429 HP 5.0L V8