Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New 5.0 vs used GT500 vs Roush vs Saleen etc

Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Vrinsk

Default New 5.0 vs used GT500 vs Roush vs Saleen etc

Since resale of a modified mustang is not good, I am considering selling my stock -06 GT and buy a used GT500, Roush mustang, Saleen mustang or even a new 5.0. But it is hard to compare all these alternatives, and am looking for some input from you guys. Appearance is easy to compare, and power is somewhat easy to compare, however handling and expected future resale values are hard to compare. Any takes on what you consider the best option out there when it comes to the above mentioned packages?

How does the new 5.0 handling compare to the 07 to 09 GT500 handling?
What is the difference between the handling of the 07-09 GT500 vs latest GT500 vs latest 5.0 GT?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

The new 5.0 pretty much destroys any pre-10 model Mustang in the handling department. Same goes for the 2011 GT500. I'm not too sure how the new 5.0 and GT500 compare, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lighter GT was more tossable.

As far as the older Roush and Saleen cars, that's harder to answer.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Really depends on what your final goals are with the car. You can always buy an older model cheaper and put tons of money in it and have it be the best handling or fastest car on the road, but are you willing to put that much money into it or have it in the shop for a long period of time?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Vrinsk

If I were to buy a GT500 or a Roush or similar, I probably would not do any mods in the short term anyway. My inital thought was to get up to 500 brake hp with my -06 GT but when I found out the lousy resale values of modded stangs, I started looking into the GT500s and the Roush etc since they would give me more power and better resale value. I would also consider buying a modded GT.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
viasevenvai

Originally Posted by Vrinsk
If I were to buy a GT500 or a Roush or similar, I probably would not do any mods in the short term anyway. My inital thought was to get up to 500 brake hp with my -06 GT but when I found out the lousy resale values of modded stangs, I started looking into the GT500s and the Roush etc since they would give me more power and better resale value. I would also consider buying a modded GT.
No car gains value with modifications. Sure you can buy a 900rwhp fully built toyota supra for more than the kbb value, but that's because it's worth $200,000 and you'll probably pay $40,000.

I understand the roush interest because it's simply a modified car with an appropriate kbb value. But that's the same reason I think they are way over priced.

GT500 seems to have the highest resale value. The name is popular and the performance is great all around.

If it were me I would buy a brand new 5.0 and keep it forever.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:51 PM
XS-SPEED97

Originally Posted by viasevenvai
No car gains value with modifications. Sure you can buy a 900rwhp fully built toyota supra for more than the kbb value, but that's because it's worth $200,000 and you'll probably pay $40,000.

I understand the roush interest because it's simply a modified car with an appropriate kbb value. But that's the same reason I think they are way over priced.

GT500 seems to have the highest resale value. The name is popular and the performance is great all around.

If it were me I would buy a brand new 5.0 and keep it forever.
Thats what i would do . Buy a new 5.0 , put the Ford Racing 642 HP kit on it and pocket the $20000 difference between a new 5.0 and GT500 .
That would help pay the fines for racing Vettes and Camaro's on the street .
Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Vrinsk

You know, that sounds like a nice option actually! That is more than enough power... The only thing is the suspension of the new 5.0... I am taking my stang to the race track every once in a while, and suspension upgrades are key there. Wonder how much it would cost to upgrade the suspension of the 5.0... to match whatever the Roush stangs are doing?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 AM
XS-SPEED97

Originally Posted by Vrinsk
You know, that sounds like a nice option actually! That is more than enough power... The only thing is the suspension of the new 5.0... I am taking my stang to the race track every once in a while, and suspension upgrades are key there. Wonder how much it would cost to upgrade the suspension of the 5.0... to match whatever the Roush stangs are doing?
I think if you buy the the new 5.0 with track package ( i think thats the official name ) add another $1000 or less for the Rousch anti wheel hop kit , that should just about take care of it .
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Vrinsk

Talking

Guys, after you mentioned the new 5.0 like that I have read and seen reviews... EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE this new 5.0 rig!!!! I need one, and I think a 2012 will stand in my garage next summer. Probably without the supercharger at first, need to get used to all that 5.0 power first... I did spec out my ideal mustang gt at the ford web. it comes out at around 37000, and add the biggest supercharger for 7-8000, we are in 45000 territory. Comparing this to a black -07 GT500 I saw for 30k it does take a lot of willpower not to pull the trigger.. IT IS GREAT TO BE A MUSTANG FAN IN 2010!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:23 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

If you really like what you saw about the 2011 GT, you will totally dig how the '11 GT compares to a $55000 car!
https://mustangforums.com/forum/stre...otortrend.html

As for getting a GT to mod to really perform, I would suggest you get a base model and not the premium you are pricing out. The premium for some reason is heavier by a couple hundred pounds (every hundred pound makes a difference in acceleration).

If it is possible, you could consider getting a base model GT and asking to have specific performance stuff in it, for exampe the engine bay tower brace, Brembo brakes, etc. and totally skip the Shaker radio, electric power chairs, Sync, etc. (That stuff don't help the car to go faster anyway).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 5.0 vs used GT500 vs Roush vs Saleen etc