Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

News on the 2014 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
I will say it now...

PLEASE, NO MORE RETRO!

Sorry, but i want to see the Mustang EVOLVE, not go onto more things of it's past. As long as the new car has the tri-bar taillights, running ponies, remains a coupe and vert, and remains a v8 and v6 offerings, then that's fine with me. But the retro thing seriously needs to GTFO already. I want to see the Mustang move into the 21st centruy, not more and more throwbacks. The 05-11's so far have been great, but another 10 years of retro? Ugh.
I could not agree more, I mean retro was cool and all for a little while but I think it is time for the new mustang to have a design all its own, not steal from the much earlier cars. I liked the 05's when they came out with the design but by the time they started producing the car I was already tired of it, could be because that design was already produced OVER 25 YEARS AGO

Like tightdogal said, all its needs is a coupe and convertible body and a V8
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Retro is cool if done right. The S197s are done right. In between the early 70s up to 2004, that was evolving and it was horrible. Right now the 2011 Mustangs are the best ever...really nice looking cars and really nice riding experience.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

I can see the car taking a turn towards Euro styling
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Although I would like to see some more change like they did with my model (2010) the retro look has worked! People were upset with mustang II and in the early stage of the fox, even in 1987 when the 4 eyed Fox became european looking!people hate/hated the redesign of the 10's until Ford brought back a namesake 5.0! The rear all of a sudden was forgot!

Last edited by conejo172; 10-07-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yeah, Idk, I just think the most modern looking Mustang is still the 99-2004 model. I liked the retro thing at all, but eventually it's going to get tired (VW New Beetle and PT Cruiser). They can easily still keep all the heritage signs of what keeps a Mustang a Mustang and loose all the retro things. Let's see a car that 50 years from now, Ford will try to make a retro version of THAT car. The throwback to the 1960's stuff is getting old now. If we go 15 years with a retro Mustang, ugh...
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

yeah the 99-04 is definitely the best looking modern mustang (though that could just be owner bias) but I do think that the new edge mustang just looks so much meaner and much more aggressive than the 05 (love the '10 though, it looks just plain angry and pissed off and i dont find the rear end that offensive) I think Ford should at least put a little into a design study of some sort just to see what they could come up with if they pulled away from the retro look
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Timspony
I really like the hood & body lines...

I do too. It's the retro styling that is so appealing and what makes it stand out from every other roadster on the road.

I was wondering how they could possibly improve on the current styling cues. But the model in the pic isn't changed enough to compell a trade in. But, in a sense that's good, it'll help older models retain re-sell value.

Last edited by potman; 10-07-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I see the mustang following the same path it did in the beginning, with the 2014 getting smaller like the mustang II chassis did Also that article says that the s197 chassis is the second longest running chassis at 9 yrs is it is redesigned in 2014, Wouldnt the sn-95 chassis be a longer run as it was from 94-04 or 11 MY runs?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Slug Catcher
1st Gear Member

I dont think of it as retro.

Yea, the PT Cruiser is retro. The VW Beetle is just staying true to form.

You guys want all this new styling, but it usually turns the car into some unrecognizable peice of crap.

How many people ran out and bought the "ALL NEW" evolved Ford Probe when it came out? NOBODY!
That Pile of junk was suppose to REPLACE the Mustang. Luckily Stang owners werent seduced by the gay euro styling. Other wise we would all be rocking the FWD right now.

Dodge used all new styling cues when they made the Charger. If you could choose between the Charger or the Challenger, Which one would you want?

I remember when Jeep put square head lights on the Wranglers. Loyal Jeep owners went ape chit. They soon returned to round head lights.

If you screw with the formula, your going to pay the price. People dont buy Mustangs because of its Advanced styling, they Buy them because the Mustangs styling is timeless.

I hear alot of people saying they want all new styling, but I think they really dont know what they want.

Its like When McDonalds did this survey and found that 90% of the customer wanted a healthier Burger on the menu. So McDonalds came out with the McLean Burger. Less then 1% of the Customers actually order it.

GM Killed the Camaro and replaced it with the Cobalt to satisfy customer demands for a cheap economical sports car.

If you want to see what Evolved styling will get you, Google " Chevy Nova".

See what that turned into before Chevy finally pulled the plug.

Leave the Mustang the way it is.

Last edited by Slug Catcher; 10-07-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

what does "leave the mustang the way it is" mean? redesigns and updates are very much necessary to keep the car selling to people like those "swing buyers" who have no loyalty to any brand but do know they want something as American as a muscle car.

I dont think ive read any post in this thread that said anyone wanted completely new styling, everyone seems to agree that carrying over design cues that can be seen throughout the life of the model like the 3 bar tail lights or the mustang over the red white and blue emblems. but i do think that it is possible to have too much of a good thing and I also think that the '10 mustang is a step in the right direction its aggressive and has a body line that is obviously mustang on top of other design cues and all around a much better design than the '05 (better in the sense that it is obviously a mustang but a mustang that has its own image and wont be so much known as being the one that looks like one from the 60's)

Quick Reply: News on the 2014 Ford Mustang