Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Mustang IRS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:37 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Default 2014 Mustang IRS?

I've been researching the '14 Mustang. Everywhere I look, there is talk of an IRS coming. Dropping the LIVE axle. Please tell me it ain't so? It should only be an option. But, that may be costly to Ford.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM
sonicx
speed'n

HAHA.... as much as i like the new mustang, I think they are semi getting away from the rawness of muscle and trying to add maybe a bit too comfort into it, making the ride smoother and more crisp? So this doesn't suprise me. Don't get me wrong the IRS isn't bad, just depends what your into doing. But if Ford was todo something like this it'd be nice as a additional option. Kinda like there gear package or brake system is.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
HAHA.... as much as i like the new mustang, I think they are semi getting away from the rawness of muscle and trying to add maybe a bit too comfort into it, making the ride smoother and more crisp? So this doesn't suprise me. Don't get me wrong the IRS isn't bad, just depends what your into doing. But if Ford was todo something like this it'd be nice as a additional option. Kinda like there gear package or brake system is.
The main thing that bothers me I guess is, pretty soon those who can afford Beemers are going to be the only ones to afford a Mustang in the future. People like me, who want to buy a new one, will be left out. I can buy used, but having a Mustang that only you owned is PRICELESS.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Independent rear suspension in a 'Stang....If they do it, they sure as hell had better make it worthwhile and able to take the power coming from a 600 crank BHP engine (which the Coyote just might be making by then).
Old 12-11-2010, 02:03 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Independent rear suspension in a 'Stang....If they do it, they sure as hell had better make it worthwhile and able to take the power coming from a 600 crank BHP engine (which the Coyote just might be making by then).
I suppose they can do it. They had IRS in the 03-04 Cobra, I know it's not as high in HP, but the torque is where it matters most on the rear end. I'm just worried the sticker price will be out of reach one day.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
The main thing that bothers me I guess is, pretty soon those who can afford Beemers are going to be the only ones to afford a Mustang in the future. People like me, who want to buy a new one, will be left out. I can buy used, but having a Mustang that only you owned is PRICELESS.
True... yet ill let someone else take the huge depreciation hit once the car leaves the lot.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

True... yet ill let someone else take the huge depreciation hit once the car leaves the lot.
Your right, it's just the feeling of driving off the lot with it brand new, that can't be duplicated when you buy one that someone else owned. Besides, I would never resell it anyway, for at least 10 years so depreciation wouldn't affect me. I just wonder in a few years, will the Mustang get away from it's original roots, of being an EVERYONES car to one only for the ELITE? If I had a TON of money, it would make no difference to me, I'd still buy a Mustang. I'm not the keeping up with the Jones type. Technology isn't everything, being all cars are still pretty much internal combustion anyway, that's been around for over a hundred years. Just don't want Ford to lose sight of that fact.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:34 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Your right, it's just the feeling of driving off the lot with it brand new, that can't be duplicated when you buy one that someone else owned. Besides, I would never resell it anyway, for at least 10 years so depreciation wouldn't affect me. I just wonder in a few years, will the Mustang get away from it's original roots, of being an EVERYONES car to one only for the ELITE? If I had a TON of money, it would make no difference to me, I'd still buy a Mustang. I'm not the keeping up with the Jones type. Technology isn't everything, being all cars are still pretty much internal combustion anyway, that's been around for over a hundred years. Just don't want Ford to lose sight of that fact.
For sure... thats why im planning on restoring a classic once I finish school. For the simple fact of what you mentioned. I'd rather put 30K into a real muscle car with raw power than what they're pushing out now. But thats me i know not everyone has that opinion and thats fine because we'll all different.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

For sure... thats why im planning on restoring a classic once I finish school. For the simple fact of what you mentioned. I'd rather put 30K into a real muscle car with raw power than what they're pushing out now. But thats me i know not everyone has that opinion and thats fine because we'll all different.
I wish I still had that gumption. I think that's great. I hope to see your project someday.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM
sonicx
speed'n

I wish I still had that gumption. I think that's great. I hope to see your project someday.
Well Im still a fews years away so I too still hope I have the same feelings then lol. Im thinking ill need to be a few years out of college at least to be able to afford to do a project like this and then it'll prob take a few years moreso after that to complete. I'd like & hope to restore a (68-70) Chevelle or Camaro. If not i'd like go for a Fastback or Mach 1 Mustang. Although I love mustans, I like chevy's old school muscle cars better (grew up in a chevy family) but new cars. Chevy has nothing over Ford theses days ... Im looking at something i could drive but more so a fun weekend car that I could take to the strip and make passes with.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang IRS?