Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

MRT Devil Ray 427 C6 Corvete

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MRT Devil Ray 427 C6 Corvete

sorry buddy but no way in hell will the gt500 eat/beat/rape/whoop/consume/own that vette.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Caddstang
2nd Gear Member

man think before you type, 3 seconds flat? i don't even think it will be under 4.5 seconds..the next GT500 is a porker!

The new Z06 was already clocked at mid to high 3s 0-60...regardless of straight line speed the Z06 will still be the better sports car obviously even with a $65k price tag. I mean come on the Gt500 is sticking to a solid rear. Now I know that its track proven, drag strip and road course and has been heavily engineered to the point where its common weak points have been minimized, but from what I have been reading it still has it's limitations. And frankly a Corvette will always be superior to the Mustang for many reason one in particular...Chevy doesn't offer a 20k Corvette with 16 inch wheels, cloth seats, and an anemic V6 engine.

Overall numbers may be similar but the GT500 and Z06 are two very different cars that take a different approach to achieving their performance goals and the Corvette simply takes a better route regardless of the fact you can mod the GT500 to “hang” with a Vette.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:24 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

^correct.

If chevy did what ford did and made the vette with less power like a v6, then the vette wouldnt have the reputation is has now.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 PM
v8stang05
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XbcSharpShooter

^correct.

If chevy did what ford did and made the vette with less power like a v6, then the vette wouldnt have the reputation is has now.

exactly.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:02 AM
njkid
2nd Gear Member

chevy is coming out with a blue corvette called the blue devil. people around the area gm was testing it said a sound of a supercharger was on top of the 500 hp motor from the 06 Z06. Numbers are around 600 hp. GM wants to take down the GT40 and the Enzo
Old 09-23-2005, 01:16 AM
tripleblack
1st Gear Member

The Z06 looks to be a wonderful-fast car, but not necessarily a world-beater handler (though obviously, it will do very well). The problems corvettes sometimes have when compared with the exotics (and with the Z06, or the sc version, they are entering the lower tier of that realm) is that they have huge, heavy motors that put a lot of weight on the front tires. Compared with the ferraris, saleen s7's, etc, they will do well on paper - but not necessarily as luxury cruisers. In the end, the rappers and millionaires will miss the curb appeal and crowd reaction more than the performance. The s7 and ferrari will draw stares and notice wherever it goes - the Corvette will not.

Pricing for a well-optioned Z06 will set you back somewhere north of $70k large. This puts it in an odd no-man's land of cars - setting a new high price for a chevy, and a new low price for a car with sports exotic performance.

As for comparing it to the Shelby, remember that Ford has left itself some room to grow on a car not yet released. They're quoting numbers very similar to the "real" numbers that near-stock 03 and 04 Cobras made with 4.6 liter motors and the small, single screw supercharger. The 5.4 with a twin screw could easily match the 505hp of the chevy 7.0 liter, stock from Ford (if they want it to - and they just might). As for comparing suspension philosophies, I find it ironic that GM has stuck with the huge displacement, ancient pushrod motors, tweaking and perfecting them until they shine, and abandoning the old solid axle rears, while Ford has abandoned the pushrods for smaller displacement modern design 2v, 3v and 4v ohc V8's, while polishing to perfection their solid axle rear ends and suspensions! Oddly, I think this may yield a street-car advantage to GM, while granting an equally ironic road race track advantage to the Stangs running their 100 year-old rear ends and accompanying new suspensions! Anyone paying attention cannot help but notice the Mustang race cars competing handily (and more often than not, winning) with their irs corvette, bmw and porsche competitors.

Finally, comparing a 2 seat sports exotic to a pony car with a functional rear seat and trunk is hardly fair on the basis of weight. Tack on a back seat and so on to a Corvette, and see what it weighs... Better yet, subtract the weight of the back seat, etc (just as Shelby originally did in the 60's), drop the price even lower than the projected $38,500 (could be less than half the new Z06 - and yes, that much money does make a difference) and set the new Shelby up as a 300 pound lighter 2 seater, and THEN hit the test track.

Could be surprising, particularly to those that don't watch the boy racers tearing up the tracks...

tripleblack

Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
chubrock

What ford really needs to do is what they started, bring back the late 60's vibe. they need to re-introduce the 429, that's right i said it, as in the boss 429. In my opinion, the 429 is the best engine that ford has ever created, maybe w/ acception for the 428 cammer, but still, 429 is a pure bred, power hungry motor that would prove that ford still loves putting the best cars on the street.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:51 AM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tripleblack

The Z06 looks to be a wonderful-fast car, but not necessarily a world-beater handler (though obviously, it will do very well). The problems corvettes sometimes have when compared with the exotics (and with the Z06, or the sc version, they are entering the lower tier of that realm) is that they have huge, heavy motors that put a lot of weight on the front tires. Compared with the ferraris, saleen s7's, etc, they will do well on paper - but not necessarily as luxury cruisers. In the end, the rappers and millionaires will miss the curb appeal and crowd reaction more than the performance. The s7 and ferrari will draw stares and notice wherever it goes - the Corvette will not.

Pricing for a well-optioned Z06 will set you back somewhere north of $70k large. This puts it in an odd no-man's land of cars - setting a new high price for a chevy, and a new low price for a car with sports exotic performance.

As for comparing it to the Shelby, remember that Ford has left itself some room to grow on a car not yet released. They're quoting numbers very similar to the "real" numbers that near-stock 03 and 04 Cobras made with 4.6 liter motors and the small, single screw supercharger. The 5.4 with a twin screw could easily match the 505hp of the chevy 7.0 liter, stock from Ford (if they want it to - and they just might). As for comparing suspension philosophies, I find it ironic that GM has stuck with the huge displacement, ancient pushrod motors, tweaking and perfecting them until they shine, and abandoning the old solid axle rears, while Ford has abandoned the pushrods for smaller displacement modern design 2v, 3v and 4v ohc V8's, while polishing to perfection their solid axle rear ends and suspensions! Oddly, I think this may yield a street-car advantage to GM, while granting an equally ironic road race track advantage to the Stangs running their 100 year-old rear ends and accompanying new suspensions! Anyone paying attention cannot help but notice the Mustang race cars competing handily (and more often than not, winning) with their irs corvette, bmw and porsche competitors.

Finally, comparing a 2 seat sports exotic to a pony car with a functional rear seat and trunk is hardly fair on the basis of weight. Tack on a back seat and so on to a Corvette, and see what it weighs... Better yet, subtract the weight of the back seat, etc (just as Shelby originally did in the 60's), drop the price even lower than the projected $38,500 (could be less than half the new Z06 - and yes, that much money does make a difference) and set the new Shelby up as a 300 pound lighter 2 seater, and THEN hit the test track.

Could be surprising, particularly to those that don't watch the boy racers tearing up the tracks...

tripleblack

Actually, the z06 is supposedly the second fastest production car to be on the nurburgring. It handles, and it handles very well. I actually read in a magazine it pulls more cornering g's than half the ferraris and lambos. I dont have it in front of me, so i cant give you numbers, but it is a ferrari killer.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

hahahaha justin yeah you are WAY off when you say that the gt500 will eat that Vette ROFL.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Note that this is not a new ZO6 or a ZO6-based car, but a "standard C6" with a 427 cubic inch version of the LS2/LS6 engine. Still, there is no big difference between the Devil Ray and the ZO6. MTI tweaks the engine a bit more power but the factory ZO6 is lighter.
The engine is essentially an updated version of MTI's 427 cubic inch "ZO7" that they offered in the C5 in various tunes from 540 to 600 HP. That is a good engine: it won Car and Drivers last "On Lap of America" last year. And of course I like it: its essentially the engine in my vette, prior to the supercharger (and coincidently just as fast in t quarter as it was N/A). for a while I had the same cam they put in this car (purchased from them) in my engine but eventually went to the current one, custom speced and ground by Crower for a SC'd 427.

MTI builds this engine in either a Darton screw-in sleeved ersion of the 6 liter aluminum block or if you pay extra, they use the C5R block. I looked very hard at just buying this conversion for my car, but wanted the "fun" of having it built up locally, plus I could get a really famous guy to do that.

By the way, they offer a 455 (even longer stroke) version of this in a GTO conversion they offer with a claimed 650 HP.

The give-aways its not the new LS7 is mostly heads, which have 2.08" intake values, -- these are the largest you can squeeze into the standard 18 degree LS6 head. LS7 has the new 12 degree head which comes stock with 2.2" valves (I have to get me a set of those when they come available) Unlike the new ZO6, it will have a wet sump rather that the new twin oil pump dry sump.

Overall, this car is compareable to the new ZO7 in claimed performance. the stock ZO6 is mid 11s at 127.