Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

all wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 PM
pegasus51

Default pushbutton awd

well the sand bag thing we've all done or the 45lbs olympic weights but to me it's and unecessary inconvienience in thease modern times. they could always make it a pushbutton awd 100% to the rear until the button says 30 to the front and 70 to the rear. like i said it would only be for those who want the option. yesterday on the belt parkway a friend of mine another mustang fanatic was driving home and saw a mustang beautiful 05 gt(automatic) about five car lengths infront of him with 20 in rims staggered 10 in the rear and 9 in the front doing about 40mph in the rain, a curve came up he saw the stang start to approach slowly when it got to the bend, the stang spun out and took 5 cars with him. He knows all the info about the car and what happened b/c he stopped to see if the driver was ok, the driver explained how as slow as he was goin with all season goodyears he still lost control only 1 person was seriously hurt then he sat in traffic for 2 hrs. plus a snow storm with more than 5inches, the sand bag trick is not that useful at least not in New York which when the plow comes around does a better job of compacting the snow than removing it. with a pushbutton system you get the the better of both worlds for those who want it of course in those kind of conditions.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pegasus51
well the sand bag thing we've all done or the 45lbs olympic weights but to me it's and unecessary inconvienience in thease modern times. they could always make it a pushbutton awd 100% to the rear until the button says 30 to the front and 70 to the rear. like i said it would only be for those who want the option. yesterday on the belt parkway a friend of mine another mustang fanatic was driving home and saw a mustang beautiful 05 gt(automatic) about five car lengths infront of him with 20 in rims staggered 10 in the rear and 9 in the front doing about 40mph in the rain, a curve came up he saw the stang start to approach slowly when it got to the bend, the stang spun out and took 5 cars with him. He knows all the info about the car and what happened b/c he stopped to see if the driver was ok, the driver explained how as slow as he was goin with all season goodyears he still lost control only 1 person was seriously hurt then he sat in traffic for 2 hrs. plus a snow storm with more than 5inches, the sand bag trick is not that useful at least not in New York which when the plow comes around does a better job of compacting the snow than removing it. with a pushbutton system you get the the better of both worlds for those who want it of course in those kind of conditions.
That's the problem, you're gonna need at least 100 or so.... And I don't know why the guy slipped like that, its possible but a mustang owner should know how to control his car at 40. They stay pretty predictable at those speeds IMO. And with all-seasons you should usually be ok, I use the high performance pirellis that came with mine, and have never fishtailed in rain *knock on wood*. Its just like any car, gotta be careful and cautious when you drive in bad conditions- safety nets like the AWD system will never compensate for some good old father-son fishtail controlling parking lot lessons haha.

And a AWD system will be expensive for a mustang not to mention add a few pounds. The handling would probably suffer too somewhat I assume, so that would have to be tweaked or something... Still a creative idea.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 PM
sonicx
speed'n

dam didn"t know you guys were gona rip the idea like thatlol. well maybe we can tweek the numbers a bit to 70-30. we're along way from the fiasco of the probe. the technology is there for the car to be the best performance vehicle in all weather. I'm not saying to make all mustangs awd just offer it as an option for the guys like me who cant afford to own a jeep and a dream stang. I recently test drove a 2011 awd charger r/t in the rain and it handled decent didn't really have to worry about the rear slidding out of a whinding exit off the highway. But still I felt it was alittle clumsey and the power of the stangs are far more evident even the 2011 6cyl will give the charger a run for its money. But i would love to see a stang give it to any car in any weather conditions, it would be crazy to show up to work in a snow storm in a mustang that most front wheel drive cars can't get around in. imagine the stares you would getlol. I'm sure the guys at svt could make it happen the right tranny with the mustangs horsepower a good suspension and handling package is not out of reach for those guys. and it would be just an option that not alot would be produced unless it was factory ordered with a couple out there just to test drive. the new falcon would be a good choice at four door awd car but in my opinion it dosen't compare in style to a stang. An awd stang gt with a supercharger thrown on it might even give the awd lambo and audi supercars a scare in there rearview mirrors
And Like I previously stated (Have you done market researching or know that there is a HUGE demand for AWD mustangs) How would they go about convincing not only shareholders but the Ford Family themselves to go ahead and spend millions on dollars because less than half of the people think awd are sweet? Your living in a fanasyy world if you're thing that a AWD Mustang is going to be cheaper than a Jeep or any other AWD drive from that matter. Especially if your then saying adding a S/C so it can complete with supercars? So really has gone from an all seasoned mustang to a awd mustang capable of giving some supercars a run for their money.... while keeping customer costs low? No one on here is going to argue that it's impossible because as I also stated there are companies out there that convert sport cars into AWD's already. Just the cost to mass product has to be handed down and the buck will stop with cosumers (paying a arm & leg).

The awd charger or charger in general for that matter to the mustang....there not marketed towards the same target market.

The target market for Dodge Charger includes trendsetting, young affluent males with incomes from $65,000 – $90,000. Customers looking for the thrilling ride and handling characteristics of a sports car, but with the added convenience of a functional, five passenger vehicle, will be able to experience the best of both with the Dodge Charger.

While Ford and Mustang has to look ahead and focus in on keepin their brand they're created traditional....while promoting a bright future towards sport cars. The older we get, the better we produce. Ford has this kind of thing going with the Mustang – the older it gets, the better it was. There sport cars, always have been always will be.

Dodge has produced the Challenger R/T & SRT8 to run neck in neck with the Mustang GT and the Gt500. The Dodge Charger is more along the lines of comparing with the Ford Taurus SHO.

And Ill emphasis BIG (stated again). I AM NOT RIPPING ON THE IDEA. I love the concept, just not for the Mustang. Should ford make a awd sport car? Maybe... but more along the lines of the JEEP SRT8 (in my opinion)

Last edited by sonicx; 04-02-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Mach_1_II

Originally Posted by sonicx
And Ill emphasis BIG (stated again). I AM NOT RIPPING ON THE IDEA. I love the concept, just not for the Mustang. Should ford make a awd sport car? Maybe... but more along the lines of the JEEP SRT8 (in my opinion)
The Taurus SHO comes with an AWD option, so Ford has the Charger AWD covered in that area. Really, I'd like to see the Focus ST come with AWD. Now that would be a sporty little car.

On a side note, what would the point of dedicated 70-30 AWD be? Does anyone do that ever? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach_1_II
The Taurus SHO comes with an AWD option, so Ford has the Charger AWD covered in that area. Really, I'd like to see the Focus ST come with AWD. Now that would be a sporty little car.

On a side note, what would the point of dedicated 70-30 AWD be? Does anyone do that ever? Doesn't make any sense to me.
I think ferrari has that new hatch thing in a similar bias(25/75??)... But that's a whole different car with entirely different characteristics so I dunno if its feasible in a Mustang just because it is in a Ferrari..
Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Mach_1_II

^ Right on man ahaha I totally agree:
Originally Posted by sonicx
Dodge has produced the Challenger R/T & SRT8 to run neck in neck with the Mustang GT and the Gt500. The Dodge Charger is more along the lines of comparing with the Ford Taurus SHO.
I expanded upon it because the OP said he wanted an AWD w/ some major power, not that the SHO doesn't but imo if FORD was to produce another AWD i think it should be along the lines of the Jeep SRT8 hence why i said what i said
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
pegasus51

Default guess u guys r rite

well guess you guys are right. To much against the idea. and the ford taurus it might be in the same class as the awd charger but it dosen't compare to the power of the charger even with eco-boost. ford should throw a mustang motor in the taurus you could call it the sho gt or something along those lines and make it available in stick. i still think ford could use the sho's tranny as a model for a mustang pushbutton awd drive version. and lets face it the challenger is nice looking but far too heavy to mess with the mustang and camaro. Thats the mustangs real nemesis.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
pegasus51

and the awd drive system would be pushbutton not dedicated
Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 AM
sonicx
speed'n

well guess you guys are right. To much against the idea. and the ford taurus it might be in the same class as the awd charger but it dosen't compare to the power of the charger even with eco-boost. ford should throw a mustang motor in the taurus you could call it the sho gt or something along those lines and make it available in stick. i still think ford could use the sho's tranny as a model for a mustang pushbutton awd drive version. and lets face it the challenger is nice looking but far too heavy to mess with the mustang and camaro. Thats the mustangs real nemesis.
Agreed that the Charger R/T is faster... but sligtly (stats from Motor Trend).
Tauras SHO
Charger R/T
Engine: v6 w/ ecoboost
Engine: v8 hemi
Transmission Type: 6-speed automatic
Transmission Type: 5-speed automatic
Horsepower (hp / lb ft): 365 /350
Horsepoer (hp / lb ft): 370 /395
0 - 60 (sec): 5.8
0 - 60 (sec): 5.3
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.2 @ 99.11
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.9 @ 103.6

What makes the SHO so nice is that it's only a v6 compared to a v8. It gets the same hp as alot of v8 cars yet you still have wonderful mpg. And DODGE has marketed the Challenger to run with the Mustang & Camaro. Not the charger. And although you're right there completing with challengers, camaro's, there also marketing themselves to go head to head with BMW's M3.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Mach_1_II

Ford should throw a mustang motor in the taurus you could call it the sho gt or something along those lines and make it available in stick.
See, now there is an idea you could market to Ford. It could also run against the BMW 7 series, the Mercedes E Class and probably even the Volkswagon Passat. The Taurus SHO GT. I like it.

Quick Reply: all wheel drive