Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

What would you want in the new mustang?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Boy Howdy

Default What would you want in the new mustang?

I apologize if this thread has already been created or if this discussion is already worn out.

I hear a lot of people wanting the option of AWD mustang, but I also hear a LOT of people not wanting AWD.
I hear people praise the retro-styled S197, but I also hear people complaining about the throw backs.
So I thought I'd try to create the official "what would you want" thread. Just give your ideas and opinions on what would make the ultimate mustang (besides the obvious "more hp" and "less price tag") for the rumored 2014 anniversary edition.

I personally would like to see the mustang "evolve", as some would put it. I do like the retro styled look of the current S197 (love the old mach 1's and I love the aggressive lines of my '11). I wouldn't mind an AWD option though. And since the S197 will be going on 9 years, I think would be appropriate to give the mustang a more modern look.
Don't ask me what modern means, lol. Obviously, nothing similar to those boring m3's, mazdas, lancers (I think everyone will agree on that). For those who have seen Ferrari's take on the mustang, I think they really screwed the pooch on that one.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I hope to never see an AWD or even a 4 door version like they did with the Charger. That would be sacrilegious IMO. Let those people buy the SHO Taurus

I think Ford hit the nail on the head with the '11s performance-wise, I'm just not the biggest fan of the styling. Like a lot of people the back/rear section just doesn't sit right with me. Everything else is awesome (front, interior, engine etc)

I can see them moving away from the retro-styling, but would like to see cues from the New Edges and '05-'09s if that makes sense/is possible. A lot of the concepts are naturally too radical for my liking, so I'd prefer something more conservative but badass at the same time
Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 PM
sonicx
speed'n

For it to shed a few pounds Add in 4.10s & 3.73 options to both auto & stick from the factory. It's been SWEET to have a convertable top like what the Cadillac XLR has. I like it compared to ragtops. Otherwise Ford's done a knock-out job so far.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 PM
nicknack1016
1st Gear Member

I think they need to make it look more aggressive, and to stray away from the "retro" look. I love the 05-09 styling, but i think they could move on to something new. I wasn't a huge fan of the 2010 look but it's growing on me. Performance wise, 400hp for a stock GT is good enough for me. I want to be able to customize or upgrade the car myself and if Ford puts too much power into it, the cost will be unreasonable.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

redo the back and make it looks less retarded. put in a tougher manual in the 5.0, loose about 200 lbs, if possible stretch the rear leg room a bit bump the v-6 to 315hp and mpg to 35. to 30 in the v8. make trak-pack level handling standard on the GT and add an optional trak-pack with of course and even higher level of handling. improve the fit and finish even more. put out a mach 1. have it be more expensive than a GT but increase the handling to near boss laguna seca levels even if it has the standard 5.0 engine in it.
and dont raise the price of the mainstream models.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 PM
john2plus8

don't have mush of an issue with AMD but definitely don't think this is the right direction to go
Old 04-30-2011, 02:02 PM
jRock617
2nd Gear Member

ugh i hope i dont get flamed too much for this, but id really like the option of an automatic with a manual mode (dual clutch transmission - with either paddle shifters or the up/down press of the stick). My past 4 cars have all had manual transmissions and im getting a little tired of rowing the gears all the time.

This way, i could keep the car in D in traffic and commutes and put it in M when i want to shift on my own. It works very well in the Nissan 370z i test drove, and the magazines have posted even faster times in the auto than the stick.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:53 PM
stangoutlaw
1st Gear Member

Bring back t-tops!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Twin turbo 3.7 would turn me on. I read it was scratched because it would be too close to the power of the 5.0, but it would sure be cool.

The idea of a new SVO 4 banger turbo sounds good, too. It would need to make some torque in the bigger car. The Fox body SVO was great, but a bit lighter.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:54 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

I just want Ford to stop using cheap parts in the interior. "Well we could add leather.... OR Plastic with weird lines? Oh plastic? Lets use that.."