Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Thunderbird may be making a comeback!

Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Default Thunderbird may be making a comeback!

That's what this article hints at anyways:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/3...html?hpt=hp_c2

Unfortunately, the Ford rep seems to think that the "Squarebird" design is a good way to go. This means that the 'bird would be returning as a full sized family sedan. I have wanted Ford to remake the T-bird as a 'vette killer for years. That's what it was originally supposed to be.
My thoughts:
Make a light weight chassis/body.
Add IRS
Base model gets a the new Road Runner 5.0 (said to come with 500HP although with out Direct Injection)
Hotter version of 5.0RR (say 540HP) for a GT level car.
An SVT (call it a Supercoupe?)car with a 650HP Supercharged 5.0RR to wreck the ZR1
Add a revised/toughened version of the Mustangs 6-speed (manual)
Add a good IRS. The supension is critical, the car must out handle it's respective rival Corvette model at all levels.
Put in a NICE interior. Definitely enough to outshine the Corvette.

Any one have any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

I agree completely, Ford really needs an actual sports car to compete with the vette, I have always wanted to see it.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

That'd be cool but I have the feeling that the rebirth (if serious) of the Ford GT will be the one for the job.
Problem is, it's a well over six figure car price.

I wanted a return of the Cougar based on a Mustang platform like it used to be...
But it sucks to be me, Mercury is no more.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

i was just thinking of an s-197 cougar. problem is that the s-197 is way too fat-looking. look at a 67 cougar and a 67 mustang. the cougar looks meaner and leaner than the mustang imo. further the trunk would have to be redesigned to accommodate the shelby-style taillights that came on the cougars. or you could put some of them on the deck lid of the car, but that would make the deck lid ridiculously heavy. another issue is the power dome hood. if i recall it's there to provide clearance. adding a hood scoop would make it look odd. finally theres the issue of what the cougar was. it was meant to be a more luxurious version of the mustang. the s-197 is heavy enough, adding more features is just going to weigh it down more.
BUT if they could resolve the issues id like to see the following line up:
Base-direct injection 3.7
XR7-GT level-5.0
Eliminator- SVT drive train
and, i wouldnt mind buying a mercury from a ford dealership, but im sure some geriatric purist would flip.

and +1 to the GT being out-of reach.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I was thinking from a 2014 platform...
With the current S197, it'd be hard to not add weight with all the luxury add-ons, you're right.
Only an Eliminator version without all the cr@p wouldn't be penalized.
As far as the style, all the outside sheet metal could be redesigned to keep the elongated tail lights (Having the deck lid stopped before them) and the hide away headlights etc...
The roof line would have to be altered as well to keep away from the fastback look and so on...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

I had two Thunderbirds--a '96 LX Sport, and a '95 Super Coupe. Both were great cars. The LX got sold, and the SC was totalled in an unfortunate accident.

If they do bring it back, they need to keep the weight down, and the HP up; though they probably won't make it more powerful than the Mustang.

Back in 1997 or so, Ford made four prototype SVT Thunderbirds. They had the Cobra motor, 5-speed, and 3:73 gears (I think). Management didn't think the SVT Thunderbird would sell well, so they crushed them all!

Wouldn't sell? Heck, I would have been the first in line to get one!

Last edited by Thundersteel; 08-01-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Was Coletti involved in this^^^^^?
The guy was responsible for a lot of good stuff at Ford and it's too bad that they drove him away...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

I guess from Ford's point of view, they probably don't want to create a vehicle that competes with another of its own. As a "Vette-killer" it would place its price range somewhere in the range of the GT500 to KR thus competing with the high-end Mustang. Would they want to do this? I am not sure.

Making the T-Bird into a family sedan would, of course, compete against the Taurus. And the Taurus already has a performance version with the SHO.

They already did the two-seater convertible back in the early 2000s and that was a flop, was it not?

Bottom line is, I don't know where the car, regardless of design, would slot into their current line-up.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OneLargeToe
As a "Vette-killer" it would place its price range somewhere in the range of the GT500 to KR thus competing with the high-end Mustang. Would they want to do this? I am not sure.

Making the T-Bird into a family sedan would, of course, compete against the Taurus. And the Taurus already has a performance version with the SHO.
Great analysis. I agree.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 AM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Originally Posted by OneLargeToe
I guess from Ford's point of view, they probably don't want to create a vehicle that competes with another of its own. As a "Vette-killer" it would place its price range somewhere in the range of the GT500 to KR thus competing with the high-end Mustang. Would they want to do this? I am not sure.

They already did the two-seater convertible back in the early 2000s and that was a flop, was it not?

Bottom line is, I don't know where the car, regardless of design, would slot into their current line-up.
You bring up some good points. That being said the base Corvette competes against the SS (soon ZL1) Camaro. I think that as a 'vette killer, the bird would have to establish the same type of image that the corvette has. People buy a Corvette and not a top-tier Camaro because the Corvette is seen as being a notch above it. The performance boost it would receive from being light weight combined with a spot-on design and interior material quality would have to be the key selling points over the Shelby here. That's why a 'vette-killer incarnation would have to hit fast, hit hard, and most importantly of all hit RIGHT.
It would need to:
1. Trounce it's 'vette rivals in all trims. In a straight line, turning and braking.
2. Have the right look. Keep enough of the 1st gen T-bird in it to define it as a T-bird, but have the sporty feel that sells corvettes, lambos etc.
3. Have great interior quality.
4. If at all possible sell for a cheaper price than the 'vette.
5. Most importantly of all have an AGGRESSIVE AD campaign on it's release.

As a family mover/grocery getter it would need to be marketed as a roomier car than the taurus. At that point I think a V8 version would be exclusively an SVT/Supercoupe version. It would compete with the Impala and I think would do well as being Ford's biggest car. The Crown Vic is not being sold publicly any longer but if i recall right that was because it sold poorly. In this situation the car would need the following:
1. An eco-boost v6 with direct injection. the car will need to sell on being spacious but delivering good MPG.
2. A nice interior. Possibly borrowed from Lincoln (as far as interior materials this would serve either version well imo.)
3. IRS. It would make the car more expensive but if it was possible to make it reliable and keep costs down it would be essential.
4. A 5.0 (optional manual transmission) powered performance version.
5. Interior options out the wazoo. GPS, good sound systems, sync, soon/moon roof, heated eats, etc.

Also: The '05 was a flop because it looked like a barbie dream car. add in the crappy jag engine and you have a disaster on your hands.

Last edited by simpsonfan13; 08-04-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunderbird may be making a comeback!