Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Is Independent Rear Suspension Good for Next Generation Ford Mustang?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Overall, I think IRS is a good move. Especially for daily driving. Sure there are a lot of people drag racing but if you compare that to the number of daily driven Mustangs and nothing else its small. Plus I'm sure those true drag racing guys will be able to do a swap to the live axle.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I'm with the "more options" crowd. IRS or solid, no matter, just give us the options.

There are a ton of 6 cylinder Mustangs on the road, and the overwhelming majority of those are not taken to your local drag strip. In terms of real world figures, Ford is selling a car to "average" folks who don't do foolish things with their cars. Those of us who really do push our cars (be it at the strip or road course) are the minority. That's why you're seeing more luxury appointments in the car. Ford needs to do whatever it can to sell the car at a profit. So if an IRS will attract more "average" drivers, it'll get one.

Of course, it's not like Ford doesn't care about the real enthusiast crowd (those I referred to as doing foolish things =)...). After all, our interests and our activities help establish an image for the Mustang. And the "normal" driver is a consumer who often buys based on image. So my sense is that Ford will have to juggle two marketing ploys: BOTH aimed at the "average" driver. There's a real-world comfort advantage in the IRS on one hand, and a marketing ploy that makes one feel like they're driving "American muscle" even though they're driving it like Mrs. Daisy on the other.

Personally, power figures and body styling get the "American muscle" thing done (and done well), so I'm guessing they'll up the ante of the car with an IRS to give it greater comfort on the road. I'm a road-racer enthusiast, so this could be wishful thinking. But even so, I'd be really excited to see a solid-axle option for those true enthusiasts who are definitely intent on taking their cars to the strip. I just don't see why that would be so hard to swing...

Ford needs to rethink the bundles in their option-packaging. I can see how they may have some packaging motivation, but they can bundle things together after a more thoughtful review of consumer camps.

Best,
-j
Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 AM
EiBStudent

It would be awesome if they built the next Gen Mustang with IRS and also offered a solid axle upgrade easily installed from Ford Racing.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

Serious drag racers modify their cars so much, they'll remove the IRS anyway. Don't screw the handling for the rest of us for a select few.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
I find it rather embarassing when I hit a bump in a sweeping curve and the car gets so unstable I almost lose control (75-80 MPH) while the car behind me is not at all affected directly behind me.
I'm surprised to hear that. While we don't get to drive Autobahn speeds here in Colorado, we still can drive pretty fast. The average speeds on the Interstates in the rural areas are 90+ (75mph speed limit) and we've got lots of twisties in the mountains. I have very little issue with the solid axle here. My 2010 handles bumps on high speed curves quite well. Granted, mine has the Track Pack I option which may explain some differences. However, I don't see the issue.

I learned performance driving in a 911 Porsche. To a certain extent the old mantra I learned about "don't lift" in a corner probably helps me keep the rear axle planted in the Stang. I any event I find there needs to be a really bad bump to upset the rear axle.

I wouldn't mind seeing IRS as an option. However, IRS could be a step backward if it is not as well sorted as the current solid axle.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 AM
EiBStudent

The IRS system that mustangIRS.com builds seems well sorted...the Terminator IRS did well...I think Ford could build the best IRS out there in modern muscle cars if they decide to.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EiBStudent
It would be awesome if they built the next Gen Mustang with IRS and also offered a solid axle upgrade easily installed from Ford Racing.
agreed. i like driving swirly in parking lots more than i like flooring it in a straight line anyway =P
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EiBStudent
The IRS system that mustangIRS.com builds seems well sorted...the Terminator IRS did well...I think Ford could build the best IRS out there in modern muscle cars if they decide to.
I'm sure the Ford engineers could built a great if not world class IRS for the Mustang. The question is whether the bean counters in accounting will give them the budget. I'm concerned that the orders will be to put in an inferior IRS simply so Ford can state that the Mustang now has IRS.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

I'm cool with an IRS as long as the price doesn't skyrocket again. The price of a Mustang from only 5 years ago has already gone up quite a bit and if the price keeps going up....who's going to be able to afford a new Mustang anymore? Certainly no one on a "secretary's" wage.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 AM
koolrider101
Banned

Not exactly..It can be good only for those who does drag and drift racing in a mustang.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Independent Rear Suspension Good for Next Generation Ford Mustang?