Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
again the car DOES have a worthy drive shaft. for NORMAL OPERATIONS. this is what so many here dont understand.
I do agree on this part wholeheartedly, but being the worry-wart that I am it still bothers me that the DS at it's limited speed of 113mph is almost 85% of the way to it's critical speed.

I mean, accounting for a loss of structural integrity over the years (we all drive our mustangs relatively hard lol) that 15-20% safety margin can drastically shrink. So in theory, an older S197 could potentially lose it's DS in simple daily operation right? Scary thought imo.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

To me I guess it just seems odd that a 225 hp foxbody or a 215 hp SN95 can safely go above 113 but a 300 hp 2011 V6 can't, and its limited due to its driveshaft limitations.

It doesn't make sense, I'm not sure that any explanation here has made sense of that dynamic yet, IMO. I get that its not a GT, and more of an entry level car, but to me it seems like the driveline should match the engine capability.

That said, I don't think this numb nuts should get anything from Ford as far as compensation.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
again the car DOES have a worthy drive shaft. for NORMAL OPERATIONS. this is what so many here dont understand.
lol Your not normal!!! do you work for Ford!!! hell lets make all cars maximum speed 70 mph cause that's our speed limit! anything that goes faster than that will be deemed not to be street legal. geeesh It's not that I don't understand . . . I guess I have higher standards then you !
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

It's simple. The drive shaft exceeded its termial speed. That was one of the reasons for the 113 mph limiter. The limit may not have necessairly been 113 mph, but a certain drive shaft rpm. I am certain that ford has broken more than one of these drive shafts in a dyno cell to determine at what point it will fail, and set a limit accordingly. I was told by a Ford engineer this is exactly why the 05-10 GT's have a 2 piece drive shaft. Cheaper to make a 2 piece that can take the terminal speed than a 1 piece. That's part of the reason why the aftermarket 1 pieces for these cars are so expensive. The car performed exactly as advertised, up to its limit of 113 mph in this case. Ya want to go faster, buy a GT. I do work for Ford, but do NOT speak for them. Super Dutys are also speed limited, and one of the reasons is the drive shaft. Alot of them are 2 or 3 piece and between 7 and 11 feet long. What do you think will happen if you get that thing oscillating at 8000 rpm? Ford is not going to spend $1000 on a drive shaft just to leave a limiter off so that someone can drive a vehicle faster than legal on the streets...... So my question to the kid is what were you doing driving that fast on a city street/ highway? He could have never got it that fast on a drag strip....... My Mustang is modified also and i understand that if i break it i own it. We all know the faster we go the more it costs. And yes, i do have a Dynotech driveshaft in my car.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:56 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

This whole thing is just ridiculous. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

A stock honda accord will go faster than 113. Why would the 300hp Mustang not be capable of such a speed? And the fact that so many people are rationalizing the use of such a weak driveshaft?? Some of the people in this thread sound like Prius owners.

I don't mean to insult anyone. But the Mustang is a sporty car. That's what it's made for. There is no excuse for Ford to use an inadequate driveshaft.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad

A stock honda accord will go faster than 113. Why would the 300hp Mustang not be capable of such a speed? And the fact that so many people are rationalizing the use of such a weak driveshaft?? Some of the people in this thread sound like Prius owners.

I don't mean to insult anyone. But the Mustang is a sporty car. That's what it's made for. There is no excuse for Ford to use an inadequate driveshaft.
140mph (the point at which the driveshaft finally said hasta la vista...) is not "sporty" its GD fast for a car on public roads, presumably without a full rollcage, and who knows what the tire ratings were.

The 3.7 V6 in the Mustang is not pegging the speed limiter on the dragstrip in the 1/4, and the limiter is set at about 90% over the legal highway limit. As long as failures are not occuring in daily normal usage, I don't see that there's anything to criticize Ford for.

The V6 shafts from '05 up have been known for having limitations at high speed. I remember getting my first X-Charger tune back in '06 from Bamachips (in their pre-AM days) and Doug would only raise the speed limiter in the tune *if* it was verified that the car had a quality aftermarket driveshaft. If you want to play, ya gotta pay sometimes...
Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad

It's all about money, and making it. The transmission in the V6 is shorter, therefore the driveshaft is longer. It would cost Ford more to put a driveshaft in the V6 that has the same critical speed as the GT driveshaft than it costs Ford for the GT driveshaft, simple physics. So, maybe it's only $100 more for Ford, but those $100 items add up, where do you stop? They could put in quality shocks for only $100 more, they could simply use the GT transmission for $200 more, they could swap to an 8-rib pulley system, just include satellite radio, why not just add the passenger automatic seat control, put in sound dampening, use wider wheels, use higher rated tires, use stickier tires, change to a higher amperage alternator, add lighted door sills, remote start standard, factory tinted windows, forged rods, heavier duty rear end, better sounding exhaust, factory headers...

You get the idea, at some point they have draw the line in order to keep within price ranges, and that is why there is the Mustang, the mustang GT, the GT500, and the GT500 Super Snake, as well as the Steeda, Roush, Saleen, etc.

And there is an great aftermarket for mustangs. Look no farther than BMW for a small aftermarket, it's got most of the stuff from the factory, but it also has a higher price tag and very little variance, I can't see any differences other than color, and that's available in multiple shades of monochrome.

Yeah, the guy who wasted his mustang can be upset, but he made a conscious effort to push it beyond what the engineers set as a safe limit, once you do that you are on your own. I've modded my mustang, and I know that if anything happens it's up to me to deal with even though there are still technically 2 years on the drivetrain warranty, but I've pushed beyond the designed performance... and it is soooo worth it.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 AM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

V6's are not the only ones to break a driveshaft. Someone broke a 2011 5.0's driveshaft.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

What has Jizz learned from this thread...

Jizz has learned that the Mustang has done what it has always been designed to do;

V6 Mustang = Secretary car. A car for women to look good and feel good driving

V8 Mustang = Enthusiast car that is designed to be driven a bit more on the edge.

<my best surprise look>
Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jizz
What has Jizz learned from this thread...

Jizz has learned that the Mustang has done what it has always been designed to do;

V6 Mustang = Secretary car. A car for women to look good and feel good driving

V8 Mustang = Enthusiast car that is designed to be driven a bit more on the edge.

<my best surprise look>
Even B&B grew up..

<my worst not-surprised look>

2. While debating and discussion is fine, respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely. We will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or platform bashing (V6 versus V8, SN95 versus S197, etc). Do not flame, bother, bug, disrespect, hound or taunt ANYONE on the forums or through private messaging or chat room. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close or delete it. You can/will lose your posting privileges if you continue this type of behavior.

Quick Reply: Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself